March 8, 200818 yr http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3281220&name=bilas_jay&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3281220%26name%3dbilas_jay Anybody have ESPN Insider that wants to give us an idea of what Jay is thinking here? This is what you can see without Insider: Close losses: When a team is touted for close losses that easily could have been wins, don't you also have to accept that close wins could have easily been losses? I will say this again … the only objective standard in sports is winning. If we are going to parse losses, we should expect to parse the wins, too. Not their fault: Teams in weaker conferences are often heard saying that it is "not their fault" that they are in a weaker league. Well, for teams in a really strong league, it is not their fault that they are in a really tough league and have really tough games. All of that is bluster. If you have a bunch of tough games in your league, you don't need to play as tough a nonconference schedule. If you don't have enough tough games in your league, you need to get enough in the nonconference to prove you can beat good teams. But, if a team didn't beat anybody good during the season, how can they complain? You have to beat somebody good to be considered a contender for an at-large berth. Otherwise, you had better win the automatic bid of the league that it's not your fault that you're in.
March 8, 200818 yr Teams in weaker conferences are often heard saying that it is "not their fault" that they are in a weaker league. Well, for teams in a really strong league, it is not their fault that they are in a really tough league and have really tough games. All of that is bluster. If you have a bunch of tough games in your league, you don't need to play as tough a nonconference schedule. If you don't have enough tough games in your league, you need to get enough in the nonconference to prove you can beat good teams. But, if a team didn't beat anybody good during the season, how can they complain? You have to beat somebody good to be considered a contender for an at-large berth. Otherwise, you had better win the automatic bid of the league that it's not your fault that you're in. Reading that made my head hurt.
March 8, 200818 yr It will be interesting to know what Bilas thinks considering he has been against UK getting in for a while. I don't think they will keep UK out of the tournament if they beat Florida and have a 12-4 record in conference play. No matter what happens this team has given the state something we can all be proud of, for UK fans.
March 8, 200818 yr Let's put it this way. Bilas thinks there are a lot of teams ahead of Kentucky in line for an at large berth.
March 8, 200818 yr Let's put it this way. Bilas thinks there are a lot of teams ahead of Kentucky in line for an at large berth. If he is talking about a long line of teams ahead of Kentucky on the bubble, I would disagree with that assessment. If UK wins on Sunday, I would think a berth is all but locked up for the Cats.
March 8, 200818 yr ^ You all tout how much some experts know...but when one goes against your thought process, it isn't right
March 8, 200818 yr If he is talking about a long line of teams ahead of Kentucky on the bubble, I would disagree with that assessment. If UK wins on Sunday, I would think a berth is all but locked up for the Cats. A direct quote by Bilas: "Kentucky is not out of it for an at-large bid, but there are a lot of teams in line ahead of the Wildcats … a lot of teams."
March 8, 200818 yr ^ You all tout how much some experts know...but when one goes against your thought process, it isn't right It is rather sad. If Billy Packer (first UK fan hated name I could think of) said a kind word about Kentucky tomorrow, all would be forgiven for perceived slights in the past, and the second he went back to criticism he'd be back under the bus. It's pretty tired.
March 8, 200818 yr ^ You all tout how much some experts know...but when one goes against your thought process, it isn't right By "you all" I guess you are referring to UK fans. That being said, please show me where I've touted any expert opinions. UK is a bubble team and as a bubble team has some serious flaws with the resume. As do all bubble teams. I'm not asking for high seed, just to get into the tourney.
March 8, 200818 yr A direct quote by Bilas: "Kentucky is not out of it for an at-large bid, but there are a lot of teams in line ahead of the Wildcats … a lot of teams." I generally agree with Bilas, just not on this one. I think the Cats will get in (provided they don't lose to Florida and drop the first game of the SEC tourney). We will all know for sure a week from now.
March 8, 200818 yr It is rather sad. If Billy Packer (first UK fan hated name I could think of) said a kind word about Kentucky tomorrow, all would be forgiven for perceived slights in the past, and the second he went back to criticism he'd be back under the bus. It's pretty tired. I'm not a Billy Packer fan, but not because of a perceived anti-UK bias. I think he is just a negative announcer who takes some of the excitement away from the game. I like to relax and enjoy a competitive game, not continually hear how poor the execution is in a game.
March 8, 200818 yr They have beat Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Vandy. That part about the "Not Their Fault" made my brain hurt on many levels.
March 8, 200818 yr They have beat Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Vandy. That part about the "Not Their Fault" made my brain hurt on many levels. But two of those teams beat them. And one in a very bad fashion. I think he was saying for the most part the teams they beat in the SEC are not that good of teams. But I think the game on Sunday is a win and in game for both Ky and Fla. imo.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.