March 9, 200818 yr ^ 'Nova being one of the best? Come on.... UConn, U of L, Georgetown, and Notre Dame would all fare VERY VERY well in the SEC this season. FWIW, I agree with two of those three teams. I think Notre Dame is drastically overrated, but Georgetown and UL are both equivolant to Tennessee and maybe even better IMO. If Pitt was healthy they too would be a very tough team for alot of SEC teams with their physical play and tough defense. Transversely, I think Tennessee, Vandy, Mississippi State, and a HEALTHY Kentucky would all also have a legit shot at the Big East title.
March 9, 200818 yr FWIW, I agree with two of those three teams. I think Notre Dame is drastically overrated, but Georgetown and UL are both equivolant to Tennessee and maybe even better IMO. If Pitt was healthy they too would be a very tough team for alot of SEC teams with their physical play and tough defense. Transversely, I think Tennessee, Vandy, Mississippi State, and a HEALTHY Kentucky would all also have a legit shot at the Big East title. The SEC is probably the 5th or 6th best conference this year.
March 9, 200818 yr The SEC is probably the 5th or 6th best conference this year. No way they're 6th. The Big11 has that spot all wrapped up.
March 9, 200818 yr ^ That means nothing to me . . . that said when you have 16 teams it can bring your RPI down......we all know that the Big East is way better than the SEC. Most people have been crying the same thing about the SEC the last 3 seasons........but it seems like they have performed pretty well in the postseason if my memory serves me right.:confused:
March 9, 200818 yr The latest RPI rankings: Rank Conference Avg. RPI Avg. SOS SOS Rank Teams 1 Atlantic Coast 0.5758 0.5683 1 12 2 Big 12 0.5692 0.5617 2 12 3 Pacific-10 0.5691 0.5598 4 10 4 Southeastern 0.5661 0.5586 5 12 5 Big East 0.5653 0.5600 3 16 6 Big Ten 0.5493 0.5471 6 11 7 Atlantic 10 0.5420 0.5379 8 14 8 Missouri Valley 0.5402 0.5395 7 10 9 Mountain West 0.5271 0.5189 10 9 10 Conference USA 0.5189 0.5202 9 12
March 9, 200818 yr The latest RPI rankings: Rank Conference Avg. RPI Avg. SOS SOS Rank Teams 1 Atlantic Coast 0.5758 0.5683 1 12 2 Big 12 0.5692 0.5617 2 12 3 Pacific-10 0.5691 0.5598 4 10 4 Southeastern 0.5661 0.5586 5 12 5 Big East 0.5653 0.5600 3 16 6 Big Ten 0.5493 0.5471 6 11 7 Atlantic 10 0.5420 0.5379 8 14 8 Missouri Valley 0.5402 0.5395 7 10 9 Mountain West 0.5271 0.5189 10 9 10 Conference USA 0.5189 0.5202 9 12 Breaks down into these groups for me.
March 10, 200818 yr Nova barely made the Big East tourney, no way are they a contender or one of the best teams. Notre Dame is not overrated, actually they are quite similar to Tenn. They love to play uptempo and shoot 3's. The only difference is that ND has "Harengody" , a dominant post player. G-town and UofL are better than Tenn, Vandy, UK and Miss St. UofL beat a full roster of Wildacats badly in Rupp about two months ago, a week before UK beat Vandy. Uconn is very strong too. Honestly, UK would of struggled to make the Big East tourney. IMHO, they are similar to Nova or Providence.
March 10, 200818 yr No way...UK would maybe have 7 wins in the Big East this season. All I can do is laugh at that statement.
March 10, 200818 yr Nova barely made the Big East tourney, no way are they a contender or one of the best teams. Notre Dame is not overrated, actually they are quite similar to Tenn. They love to play uptempo and shoot 3's. The only difference is that ND has "Harengody" , a dominant post player. G-town and UofL are better than Tenn, Vandy, UK and Miss St. UofL beat a full roster of Wildacats badly in Rupp about two months ago, a week before UK beat Vandy. Uconn is very strong too. Honestly, UK would of struggled to make the Big East tourney. IMHO, they are similar to Nova or Providence. You are crazy. Georgetown is one of the most overrated teams in the country. Hibbert can barely throw the ball in the ocean and Patrick Ewing Jr. is a circus act. I was so sick watching Georgetown and Louisville lay back in their zones and miss shots. Neither plays with Tennessee. Yes Louisville beat the same team Gardner Webb did but that team no longer exists. Every year I hear the same line about the SEC and every year they are strong performers in the post season.
March 10, 200818 yr A healthy UK team at this point in the season would compete in the Big East. I don't think they would handle UL or GTown, but, I do feel they could play right with UConn, Notre Dame, Marquette and are slightly better than Syracuse and Pitt..I could see them in the 3 to 6 range, which is where they are in the SEC too...
March 10, 200818 yr Georgetown is one of the most overrated teams in the country. Hibbert can barely throw the ball in the ocean and Patrick Ewing Jr. is a circus act. I was so sick watching Georgetown and Louisville lay back in their zones and miss shots. Neither plays with Tennessee. Yes Louisville beat the same team Gardner Webb did but that team no longer exists. Every year I hear the same line about the SEC and every year they are strong performers in the post season. UofL beat them the same week that UK beat Vandy. I guess they changed over those six days. You say you can't stand to watch them "sit back" in their zones. Well, that's becaus ethey don't sit back. They play an active zone, and trap out of it. That is why G-town has the number one ranked defense in the country and UofL has the third ranked defense in the country. Now bad defense was experienced yesterday during the "pick and roll" dunk fest going on at Rupp Arena. How many layups and dunks did those two teams get yesterday? You can say that team no longer exist all you want, but UofL would be UK again today, just like they did in January. :flame:
March 10, 200818 yr No way...UK would maybe have 7 wins in the Big East this season. If you lean any farther off base, you're going to get picked off.:thumb:
March 10, 200818 yr Something that wasn't really mentioned here that could ultimately be a determining factor is what happens in the other conference championships. If someone pulls an upset and gets an automatic bid that puts them in, when their regular season performance wouldn't have...that'll remove an at-large spot. I don't know that UK can afford for many (if any!) of those to occur...unless they go out an win the SEC tourney (which I don't think they will).
March 10, 200818 yr Something that wasn't really mentioned here that could ultimately be a determining factor is what happens in the other conference championships. If someone pulls an upset and gets an automatic bid that puts them in, when their regular season performance wouldn't have...that'll remove an at-large spot. I don't know that UK can afford for many (if any!) of those to occur...unless they go out an win the SEC tourney (which I don't think they will). One game like that has already happened. VCU. I think UK is firmly in now though. They have been strong enough down the stretch to position themself over some other bubble teams.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.