Can Someone Explain this Punishment to Me?

mexitucky

Drinking and driving is always wrong. What gets me, is that too many of these city's allow their vehicles to be used for personal business. With the gas prices and insurance premiums as high as they are, they're being wasteful of tax payers dollars. City vehicles should be parked at the end of the work day unless your on official business. Doesn't sound to me like he was on official business.

A .05 is under the legal limit, it's like driving under the speed limit...it's legal.

However, CSHS made a very good point about the timing of the test.

A .05 is under the legal limit, it's like driving under the speed limit...it's legal.

You're confusing State DUI law with FTA (Federal Transit Administration mandates. The FTA says a random test as low as .02 is a concern and a post-wreck .04 requires discipline.

Without going into a long explanation that is not exactly true. There are two parts to the DUI law, one concentrates on your blood alcohol level and the other on being under the influence. In other words, I am sure you know some people that never drink that would be falling down drunk at .05, so .05 is not legal so to speak, it is just not in and of itself, illegal.

You're confusing State DUI law with FTA (Federal Transit Administration mandates. The FTA says a random test as low as .02 is a concern and a post-wreck .04 requires discipline.

So it does, thank you for the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Without going into a long explanation that is not exactly true. There are two parts to the DUI law, one concentrates on your blood alcohol level and the other on being under the influence. In other words, I am sure you know some people that never drink that would be falling down drunk at .05, so .05 is not legal so to speak, it is just not in and of itself, illegal.

I got ya. I didn't realize that those people (one of whom I'm marrying) who never drink and are falling down drunk after one or two beers could only register a .05. I always assumed that their Blood Alcohol level increased faster and they would be over the .08 line while another's would stay lower. Learn something new every day. Thank you.