Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"He LIFTED his Pivot Foot!!!!"

Featured Replies

Here is a question. Why would anyone ever leave their pivot foot if they weren't shooting, passing, or dribbling?

 

I also think we are all getting a little confused on the whole jump stop thing. It would be stupid for anyone to not learn the jump stop. Jump stops are not necessarily what are debated travel calls. It is the jump STEP. They are somewhat similar, but there is a difference.

  • Replies 174
  • Views 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did HE walk?

 

 

:lol:

My boy worked with one of the best shooters to ever play in NKY over past 35 yrs and he doesnt believe in them. Just going off of what he was saying to me one day. I figured he was right since he lit up the 9th Region when he played and went D-1AA I dont know. :rolleyes:

 

What exactly DID he teach?

Did HE walk?

 

 

:lol:

 

Yes, he did.

Here is a question. Why would anyone ever leave their pivot foot if they weren't shooting, passing, or dribbling?

 

I also think we are all getting a little confused on the whole jump stop thing. It would be stupid for anyone to not learn the jump stop. Jump stops are not necessarily what are debated travel calls. It is the jump STEP. They are somewhat similar, but there is a difference.

 

 

It is most often seen when a player is dribbling and on the move. The player will begin to make a pass while moving and the defender will take away his passing lane. The player with the ball will then hold on to it and try to stop without walking, often leading him to drag his trailing foot which is his pivot. By dragging his foot he is moving his pivot foot (changing it's position on the court). If he would just lift his trailing foot instead of dragging it he would be ok as long as he passed or shot before returning it to the floor. His pivot foot isn'tconsidered to be moved until it establishes contact with another point on the floor, similar to how a player in the air is considered to be at the point where he left the floor until he comes down at another point on the floor.

I have talked to an actual basketball official about this thread. The only thing I can figure is that we are having a miscommunication because of we're trying to describe what we mean by writing. The situation I am trying to describe is 100% a walk, according to a licensed offical. I think we must be talking about two different things.

  • Author
I have talked to an actual basketball official about this thread. The only thing I can figure is that we are having a miscommunication because of we're trying to describe what we mean by writing. The situation I am trying to describe is 100% a walk, according to a licensed offical. I think we must be talking about two different things.

 

I mentioned that in a previous post that the written word is apparently not the same as what we each have in our mind.

I mentioned that in a previous post that the written word is apparently not the same as what we each have in our mind.

 

I think we're definately talking about 2 different things because I held a ball and showed a ref what I was referring to and he definately said it was a walk. I guess we did alot of argueing for nothing :sssh:

I have talked to an actual basketball official about this thread. The only thing I can figure is that we are having a miscommunication because of we're trying to describe what we mean by writing. The situation I am trying to describe is 100% a walk, according to a licensed offical. I think we must be talking about two different things.

 

This or he doesn't know the rules...

 

cshs made it pretty clear in one of his posts though...

This or he doesn't know the rules...

 

cshs made it pretty clear in one of his posts though...

 

Paint it however you want. I knew that what I was talking about is a walk and I confirmed it with an actual referee. I was also PM'd by a ref on here who confirmed that what I was talking about is a walk. :thumb:

  • Author
Paint it however you want. I knew that what I was talking about is a walk and I confirmed it with an actual referee. I was also PM'd by a ref on here who confirmed that what I was talking about is a walk. :thumb:

 

I'd ask that ref to get on here and describe what he sees in his mind as comapred to the play I'm talking about so we can see where the difference is. We're both in the same boat - we can't understand why the other can't see what we're talking about.

I'd ask that ref to get on here and describe what he sees in his mind as comapred to the play I'm talking about so we can see where the difference is. We're both in the same boat - we can't understand why the other can't see what we're talking about.

 

I'll see if he'll sort it out a little better for us :thumb:

Paint it however you want. I knew that what I was talking about is a walk and I confirmed it with an actual referee. I was also PM'd by a ref on here who confirmed that what I was talking about is a walk. :thumb:

 

Dude, you were talking about hovering...:lol:

 

How's this, if those officials get on here and read the below AND still say it's a walk...then they don't know the rules. If they read this and say it's not a walk, you described a different scenario. Those are the only two options...

 

Maybe we're having a communication problem since its the written word.

 

Lets try this. Stand up right now while reading this and act like you have the ball. Pick a foot and have it be your pivot foot. Move the non-pivot foot. Now take a step on the non-pivot foot and lift your pivot foot and then hold it.

 

By what you're saying, you'd call a travel. That would be incorrect. My pivot foot is now the foot that's in the air. My non-pivot foot is the foot on the ground. Since its not a travel until my pivot foot (the foot in the air) touches the ground with me still having possession, why would you call a travel?

Here is a little better definition of the pivot foot, as well:

 

Pivot Foot

The foot that must remain on the floor while the player has the ball. If a player gets control of the ball with both feet on the floor, either foot can become the pivot foot. If the player catches the ball while in the air, the first foot that hits the floor is the pivot foot. Once the pivot foot has been established, the player can take any number of steps with the other foot, provided the pivot foot remains in the same spot. Moving the pivot foot, except to leave the floor for a pass or a shot, is traveling.

Here is a little better definition of the pivot foot, as well:

 

Pivot Foot

The foot that must remain on the floor while the player has the ball. If a player gets control of the ball with both feet on the floor, either foot can become the pivot foot. If the player catches the ball while in the air, the first foot that hits the floor is the pivot foot. Once the pivot foot has been established, the player can take any number of steps with the other foot, provided the pivot foot remains in the same spot. Moving the pivot foot, except to leave the floor for a pass or a shot, is traveling.

 

Hello! It doesn't say anything about jumping. It says leaving the floor. So, if you don't jump the only other option is to stand on your other foot.

 

A step is a two part process. You pick it up and you put it DOWN. If you only pick it up and do NOT put it back down, it's NOT a travel...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.