Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"He LIFTED his Pivot Foot!!!!"

Featured Replies

Maybe we're having a communication problem since its the written word.

 

Lets try this. Stand up right now while reading this and act like you have the ball. Pick a foot and have it be your pivot foot. Move the non-pivot foot. Now take a step on the non-pivot foot and lift your pivot foot and then hold it.

 

By what you're saying, you'd call a travel. That would be incorrect. My pivot foot is now the foot that's in the air. My non-pivot foot is the foot on the ground. Since its not a travel until my pivot foot (the foot in the air) touches the ground with me still having possession, why would you call a travel?

 

 

You can't establish a pivot foot and then change to the other foot while holding the ball. Here is straight out of the rulebook:

 

Traveling: A violation occurring when a player with the ball takes a step without dribbling (moving the established pivot foot).

  • Replies 174
  • Views 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because I have two feet...

 

So two feet allows you to stand like a stork without touching the ground?

You can't establish a pivot foot and then change to the other foot while holding the ball. Here is straight out of the rulebook:

 

Traveling: A violation occurring when a player with the ball takes a step without dribbling (moving the established pivot foot).

 

So now your using 2 different rule books?:sssh:

You can't establish a pivot foot and then change to the other foot while holding the ball. Here is straight out of the rulebook:

 

Traveling: A violation occurring when a player with the ball takes a step without dribbling (moving the established pivot foot).

 

Define a "step". It's hard to step forward with only one foot, they both have to go.

 

Put your two feet together and step over a line. if you only step over with one foot you're straddling, not stepping. Is that a travel?

So two feet allows you to stand like a stork without touching the ground?

 

No one said stand like a stork without touching the ground, they said stand like a stork without your "PIVOT FOOT" (foot=singular=one) touching the ground

So now your using 2 different rule books?:sssh:

 

No, I took both of those quotes from the same place. I'm not sure why its that hard to understand.

If you lift your PIVOT foot and hold it like stork with the ball, you just travelled. Here is the definition of the pivot foot:

 

Pivot Foot:

 

A player who has possession of the ball but is not dribbling must always keep one foot on the ground. This planted foot is known as the pivot foot

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

 

Sounds like what cshs81 is saying. BTW, he schooled me on this last year. :D

 

He said: Not true. I can lift my pivot foot, stand like a stork with the ball , and its not a travel UNLESS I bring my pivot foot back down while still having the ball.

 

Now, if he has a pivot foot established and he lifts it with the ball while standing like stork (hard to stand if you're floating), then he travelled. Now, if gains magical powers and floats off the court while hovering above it in a stork position, then he will be fine as long as he shoots, passes, or turns it over before he comes back down.

 

 

Lay off the sauce. :jump:

So two feet allows you to stand like a stork without touching the ground?

 

I never said I wasn't touching the ground, my established pivot foot is not touching the ground, currently...

Define a "step". It's hard to step forward with only one foot, they both have to go.

 

Put your two feet together and step over a line. if you only step over with one foot you're straddling, not stepping. Is that a travel?

 

No, that's not a travel because your pivot foot didn't move. You only moved one foot.

No, that's not a travel because your pivot foot didn't move. You only moved one foot.

 

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like what cshs81 is saying. BTW, he schooled me on this last year. :D

 

 

 

 

Lay off the sauce. :jump:

 

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

  • Author
You can't establish a pivot foot and then change to the other foot while holding the ball. Here is straight out of the rulebook:

 

Traveling: A violation occurring when a player with the ball takes a step without dribbling (moving the established pivot foot).

 

I didn't change my pivot foot. I simply lifted it while standing on the non-pivot foot.

 

I'd suggest you read a little bit further into the rulebook.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

 

What's so funny? I've been saying the same thing the entire thread. You can move your off foot any way you'd like, but you can't move the pivot foot without releasing the ball.

What's so funny? I've been saying the same thing the entire thread. You can move your off foot any way you'd like, but you can't move the pivot foot without releasing the ball.

 

That's the point. What you've been saying the entire thread is wrong. You can move your pivot foot off the ground. You can not place it back on the ground without releasing the ball.

 

In my scenario above, I could then lift the other foot with the ball in my hand. IF I put that foot down while still holding the ball, it's a travel. IF I release the ball before I put that pivot foot back down, it's NOT a travel...

I didn't change my pivot foot. I simply lifted it while standing on the non-pivot foot.

 

I'd suggest you read a little bit further into the rulebook.

 

I know the rules pretty well. I have been playing basketball for 25 years including college basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.