Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breathitt County 20 Russell 17 (3A)

Featured Replies

Breathitt receivers proved to have very good hands, holding onto the ball with acrobatic catches, even after getting drilled on the way down.

 

I think this was the difference in the game. # 3 for Breathitt made a few incredible catches and made the diving deflection of a pass that Bailey was going to score on. The Fugate boys were pretty good but #3 should get the game ball.

 

Tyler Jones really played well I thought. I know its tough to play that final game but he should be proud. He was an inforcer on defense. The hit on Fugate in the second quarter. Ouch.

  • Replies 114
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know where the officiating crew was from. I thought they did a good job.

Don't try to second guess McGlone I think he know what he is doing, Great coach don't you think.

 

Coach McGlone said right after the game that he probably should have kicked the field goal. Dolly has plenty of leg from that distance.

How many FG's has Russell's kicker made this year? What is his range?

 

40 yards and in he should make most. Has enough leg to get there from 50. Has been inconsistant at times but was kicking the ball very well in warmups last night.

As I read the posts this morning, I also think about the "Would'a , Could'a, Should'a's." As a fan and a "dad" you always see something that in hindsight may have changed the outcome of the game. For example,

 

--The defense comes out and forces a punt on the first series (big momentun for us). We immediately pick up 15 yards on the first play, but then fumble it.

--We are unable to punch it in right before the half and settle for a FG.

--Up 17 - 7, had a potential interception, slip through our defenders hands after a tip pass

--Later in the drive, our safety makes a great play on the ball only to have their guy somehow hang onto the pass for a big 1st down.

--Up 17-13, facing fourth and 6 from the 20, we go for the 1st instead of 'trying' a 37 yard FG. (Who knows.. maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't)

--Down 20-17, facing 3rd and 10 from the 50, and Brethitt coming with an all-out blitz, what "if" the call was a FB dive play. (Who knows..)

 

All I am saying is that everyone can always see something that "might" have worked.

 

What I DID SEE though were a group of big strong senior Young men after the final horn not wanting to leave the field, laying prone on the cold turf, their eyes stained with tears, knowing that they have given EVERYTHING THEY HAD INSIDE OF THEM on this night. For those young men, let me be the first to tell you "THANK YOU". You have given this "dad" and "fan", four years of great enjoyment. You have brought us a State Championship, State runner-up crown, A region championship, and a district championship. You have allowed us to leave the stands 51 times in those 4 years with a smile on our face and only "6" times with defeat. We will miss not seeing you in those Maroon jerseys, but we know that each one of you will return to cheer on the next set of young men who put on your jersey number. Good luck to all of you on your next step in life, whatever it may be. Who knows, maybe we'll be seeing you put on the pads again next fall. We'll just have to wait and see what the good Lord has in store for each of you.

 

To the coaching staff, thank you for not only molding and making good football players, but also great young men.

 

Finally, to the 1 senior who calls this fan "DAD", YOUR MOM AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH and pray for nothing but the best for you in whatever you do.

 

:thumb: Excellent post.

Congratulations to Breathitt on the win. Sounds like they took advantage of a suspect Russell pass defense at crunch time - something that Mason County exploited at times the week before.

 

Congratulations also to our friends from Flatwoods - a great job in what many considered to be a rebuilding year.

 

Russell's defense and especially their pass defense was actually pretty good. Breathitt got alot of those yards late on some tough throws and amazing catches. Russell had two passes that should have been picked off in the 4th quarter that probably would have sealed the game. I think most would agree with me that those are the best defenses that either of these teams has seen this year.

Nice win for the Bobcats...I figured this would be a close game that could go either way. I just gave Russell the edge going in because that's a long trip...:D

 

Good job Bobcats...I hope to make the trip to Belfry next Friday. I've been looking forward to seeing the new field/stadium in person.

Well now that this one is over I expect our bretahernto the North to each give us a deatiled scouting report on the Bobcats by Tuesday.......

 

 

 

 

 

:D J/K of course.. but seriously to do what Russell did this year considering the losses they suffered to rgaduation is downright impressive. This Russell team really represented their school well and layed it on the line, they just came up a little short against a great team. I fully expect Russell to be as good, if not better, next year.

Russell's defense and especially their pass defense was actually pretty good. Breathitt got alot of those yards late on some tough throws and amazing catches. Russell had two passes that should have been picked off in the 4th quarter that probably would have sealed the game. I think most would agree with me that those are the best defenses that either of these teams has seen this year.

 

 

I think if Russell passes more than 5 times. Say like 10-15 they would have won easily, I think they were wide open on every pass until the last drive. Also on the 4th and 6 they didn't even have 38 in the game. They only had 10 players in there.

Just for the record. Me either.....

 

I believe his feet got cold..... ;)

I think if Russell passes more than 5 times. Say like 10-15 they would have won easily, I think they were wide open on every pass until the last drive. Also on the 4th and 6 they didn't even have 38 in the game. They only had 10 players in there.

 

Actually they were threw the ball 11 times completing 6. But I agree it was there if they wanted to throw it more. The sprint pass that Jones ran in for the last TD was a play that I would have liked to seen run more. Get him out of the pocket and have that run/pass option. It (the play calling) was very conservative but when you have a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter it is hard to argue with. Breathitt just made the plays down the stretch to win the game.

Is it possible that some of the old school coaches like Coach McGlone (and Coach Haywood) have a tendency to switch to conservative mode a little too quickly?

 

They come from an era where a 21 point lead was insurmountable in the 2nd half. Over time, they have changed (when they absolutely had to :D) to keep up with the times, but in the heat of a game, instinct takes over and I think they may let off of the gas a little bit to early on the last lap.

 

Thoughts?

Is it possible that some of the old school coaches like Coach McGlone (and Coach Haywood) have a tendency to switch to conservative mode a little too quickly?

 

They come from an era where a 21 point lead was insurmountable in the 2nd half. Over time, they have changed (when they absolutely had to :D) to keep up with the times, but in the heat of a game, instinct takes over and I think they may let off of the gas a little bit to early on the last lap.

 

Thoughts?

 

I think there is a little truth to that. That grind it out style of play can wear other teams down but it can also keep them within striking distance. Its really hard to argue with the success though.

Wouldn't you have too say Breathitt Co. has a some what good ground game ,and not just a passing team,Channing Fugate is just a 10th grader and has to be a threat ever tme he touches the ball,Now we do pass the ball to many recievers and i do believe you might say we are a much better passing team ,but in no way could you say we are that only.

First of all fellow BGP'ers thank you for all the kind words. I will truly touched by all of them.

 

It done my heart good today as I watched my son and 3 other close fellow teammates and friends come together for a little Sunday afternoon of passing the football around and clowning it up.

 

For that to happen after a friday night where they left their blood, sweat and tears (literally) on the field, It shows me that they understand that the game of life goes on everyday, and that it will have it's winners and losers and if you give everything you have in whatever you do, you will always turn out a winner even though the scoreboard may not show it sometimes.

 

Congratulations once again. This team was truly full of winners!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.