Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby Smith

Featured Replies

Aint it great how you can throw ONLY CERTAIN stats around to ONLY show one side of the story....:sleep:

 

You mean the stats that Tubby lovers dont wanna read about.... The numbers dont lie...

  • Replies 60
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignored in SA's convenient list of stats is the fact that Tubby Smith -- while a regrettable recruiter -- was the unfortunate guy to be at the helm at UK when the rest of the SEC decided it didn't want to be UK's whipping boy any more.

You mean the stats that Tubby lovers dont wanna read about.... The numbers dont lie...

 

I stick by what I said. It is very easy to throw numbers around to try to prove one side of the story...

I stick by what I said. It is very easy to throw numbers around to try to prove one side of the story...

 

 

Disprove his stats then...........................

 

 

I don't think you can..............................

I stick by what I said. It is very easy to throw numbers around to try to prove one side of the story...

 

To me those numbers a very telling. No reason Kentucky shouldn't be doing "decent" against the top 25. Tubby wasn't an offensive guru, so recruits wanted to go somewhere else where they could display their skills rather than show they can dribble at halfcourt. I still will never understand why so many players transferred out, however I do know that some did because they got into trouble or had health problems. Tubby is a good coach, but his style (especially in the last 2 years) didn't fit in well with UK.

^ yes sir... its all fun and games until someone breaks out the #'s.

 

Tubby earned all of those numbers. For those who defend him... its just like if we get a D- on a school paper... we earned it. The teacher didn't give it to us. Tubby controlled his own destiny at UK. The one number I forgot to put in is that he was one of the HIGHEST paid coaches at at UK as well, for often lack luster seasons. If pay 30K for a Lexus, it better not have the features of a Hyaundai.

I'm trying to figure out what how Tubby did at UK has to do with wanting to see him do well at Minnesota???

Tubby is a GREAT game coach, a good all around coach, and a fair recruiter. He's also a GREAT person.

 

The only reason I point out his flaws is because some people act like he didn't have any.

He could have personally talked to his players and their families when he left. He did not even speak to them.

He could have personally talked to his players and their families when he left. He did not even speak to them.

 

I definately agree with that. Also, he was wheeling and dealing behind the scenes even before the Cats went into the NCAA tournament. He could've at least waited until after the season.

I definately agree with that. Also, he was wheeling and dealing behind the scenes even before the Cats went into the NCAA tournament. He could've at least waited until after the season.

 

Very true. Which makes the "he was forced out" statements all the more inaccurate. IIRC, he was talking to Minn before the SEC tourney.

 

Overall though, he handled himself very well. That was the only instance I can think of in 10 years.

I definately agree with that. Also, he was wheeling and dealing behind the scenes even before the Cats went into the NCAA tournament. He could've at least waited until after the season.

 

I disagree. I liken it to you or me wanting to quit our current jobs. Would you wait until after you had done so to start searching for a new job, or would you make sure you had a new one before quiting? I'd do the latter.

I disagree. I liken it to you or me wanting to quit our current jobs. Would you wait until after you had done so to start searching for a new job, or would you make sure you had a new one before quiting? I'd do the latter.

 

I would tell my manager (or A.D. in this case) that I was opening up a job search. I wouldn't sneak around the way that Tubby did. This just further backs my theory that college coaches, even the so-called "nice guys", are a shady bunch of characters.

I could never dislike Tubby Smith..........he is too much of a class act.

You know I've seen very few people attack Tubby personally. Having a problem with his recruiting and some coaching decisions are different. Anyone who says the man can't coach has very little basketball knowledge, but saying he allowed UK to slip as a program would be true in my opinion.

Also, he was wheeling and dealing behind the scenes even before the Cats went into the NCAA tournament. He could've at least waited until after the season.

 

Gillispie was "wheeling and dealing" with Arkansas when Stan Heath still had the job. You okay with that?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.