November 14, 200718 yr UK has already pressed more this year than Tubby did in 9 years. Ok, that is a bit of a stretch, but it is an indication of a more visually pleasing game to come. Scoreboard sure hasn't shown any changes....
November 14, 200718 yr It's all the way you look at things. Some people say that Tubby is hated on here. Some say Tubby is loved on here. Glass half empty, half full.
November 14, 200718 yr Scoreboard sure hasn't shown any changes.... And it probably won't until the roster is comprised of BCG's recruits.
November 14, 200718 yr And it probably won't until the roster is comprised of BCG's recruits. Texas A&M played the same style under BCG as Tubby did at UK....I just you guys expecting a some drastic change are going to be in for a very rude awakening.
November 14, 200718 yr Texas A&M played the same style under BCG as Tubby did at UK....I just you guys expecting a some drastic change are going to be in for a very rude awakening. The drastic change I expect see are wins, SEC titles, top 10 teams, and final fours.:dancingpa
November 14, 200718 yr The drastic change I expect see are wins, SEC titles, top 10 teams, and final fours.:dancingpa Which have nothing to do with style of play....:thumb:
November 14, 200718 yr Which have nothing to do with style of play....:thumb: I don't care at all about style of play. Once we get some top 50 recruits in here, they'll take care of the style on their own.
November 14, 200718 yr I don't care at all about style of play. Once we get some top 50 recruits in here, they'll take care of the style on their own. You seem to be in the distinct minority. I recall after his recruiting woes, style of play was the No. 1 criticism of Tubby.
November 14, 200718 yr You seem to be in the distinct minority. I recall after his recruiting woes, style of play was the No. 1 criticism of Tubby. Tubby's style of play was pass the ball between the 3 guys on the perimeter for 28 seconds and then start forcing shots. I don't care much about that style of play. I don't think that will be the case this season. I expect a different team to show up after this two week layoff (and valuable practice time).
November 14, 200718 yr Texas A&M played the same style under BCG as Tubby did at UK....I just you guys expecting a some drastic change are going to be in for a very rude awakening. If effective movement of the ball around the perimeter and an inside out game that will open up shots from the outside is drastic, then yes I will be disappointed if it doesn't come to pass (pardon the pun). Just because both coaches concentrate on a 1/2 court game, doesn't mean both coaches subscribe to the same philosophy. I realize there is no guarantee that BCG will come in and return UK to prominence, but I do look forward to watching him try.
November 14, 200718 yr If effective movement of the ball around the perimeter and an inside out game that will open up shots from the outside is drastic, then yes I will be disappointed if it doesn't come to pass (pardon the pun). Just because both coaches concentrate on a 1/2 court game, doesn't mean both coaches subscribe to the same philosophy. I realize there is no guarantee that BCG will come in and return UK to prominence, but I do look forward to watching him try. If you watched his games at Texas A&M you will see it is pretty much the same...This is my take on it. Billy G offense will be better in the half court because he does have more ball movement in it. However Tubby half court defense is better. I mean if you just look at last year Texas A&M team, when they play a team with a quick guard or guards, those guys drive right by them. I mean just look at what Sosa of UL did to A&M last year. We have seen the same thing this year with the UK team as well. So I don't think it is just the team learning a new defense, it is just Billy G style of defense is usually going to not do so well when playing against teams with some quick guards who can drive the the basket...So we should see a better offensive system, but not quite as good of a defensive system IMO...
November 15, 200718 yr From Jerry Tipton's (LHL) Blog: Former Kentucky coach Tubby Smith had an ironic message for panicky UK fans: Be patient. As UK coach, Smith did not get the benefit of the doubt from a noisy segment of fans. When he watched a portion of Wednesday night’s loss to Gardner-Webb, he saw a team that can greatly improve with time. “They’re still young and missing pieces,” Smith said yesterday. He noted Derrick Jasper being sidelined, Jared Carter still affected by shoulder surgeries and Jodie Meeks “limping around with a groin pull, it looked like.” The Cats also played without sophomore Ramon Harris, who started the two exhibition games but is now sidelined because of a stress fracture. “You have two or three freshmen out there, it can be brutal against an experienced team like Gardner-Webb,” Smith said. Kentucky will be a fine team “when they get everybody healthy and he gets the whole rotation and chemistry down. It takes awhile. Those players will adapt and everyone will make the adjustments they need to make in the system Coach (Billy) Gillispie wants.” During his 10 years, Smith proved the wisdom of patience. His first team heard grumbles after home losses to archrival Louisville, Florida and Ole Miss. Ole Miss hadn’t won at Kentucky since 1927. Then the Cats won the national championship. In 2002-03, Kentucky stumbled out to a 6-3 start capped by a loss to Louisville. Then the Cats won 26 straight games. Smith noted how Kentucky began this season earlier than ever, and played after three weeks of practice. “That’s tough with a young club with injuries,” he said.
November 15, 200718 yr No matter whether you liked him or his style, Orlando (Tubby) Smith is and will always be a class act. :thumb:
November 15, 200718 yr Was the program in better shape when he left than it was when he got here, or did it go down hill while he was here?
November 15, 200718 yr Was the program in better shape when he left than it was when he got here, or did it go down hill while he was here? Is this a rhetorical question?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.