Halfway (for most) Point . . . Coach of the Year??

CharlieWeis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivan McGlone, Russell.

He has one returning starter defensively and three offensively from last year's state runner up program and is currently 5-0. With the past two years success for Russell (state championship and runner up), people think success should be a given. However, this is a small, 3A school where athletes don't grow on trees. Also, the one's that lead the previous success are all gone. The success of the program this year is due to his coaching ability.

I'd like to nomintae Phillip Haywood for pretty much the same reasons.

It seems win a team hasn't had a good year in a while and then finally "breakout" everyone wants to nominate the guy for coach of the year. Maybe the coach is a great coach, and maybe he is deserving, or maybe there just happened to be an exceptional number of athletes that finally matured into good football players.

My point is that guys like McGlone, Hilton, Yeagle, Haywood, Redman, Harp, Schneider, etc., consistently put great football teams on the field. Year in and year out any of these guys are serious contenders for a COY award.

I agree with you on this.....

Best around here.....

The best coach around you are right, I think Coach Cooksey at Fairview has done a pretty solid job with all that happened before the year with Coach Tackett and they are sitting at 4-1. he has a great coaching staff. I agree about Coach McGlone though he is a great coach and man.

I'll vote for the coach at Bracken Co., Yes, Bracken Co.! My criteria may not be what most have, but I think it's commendable to take kids out on the field each Friday with a program in it's infancy, give them the attitude that they have a chance, and regardless of the outcome, those kids, and that coach have started a program. One of these days when things at Bracken are booming and they are a team to be reckoned with, there should always be reminders to the players and coaches that follow of where they started. Not as difficult a task to have talent and tradition and field a winner. I'm not saying that the other coaches aren't deserving at all. My point is the job done at Bracken none of us would envy, yet they've managed to maintain class! Kudos to Bracken!:thumb:

How about some love for the Woodford County head coach? The Yellowjackets have consistently improved over the past few years, and now are sitting pretty at 5-0 and in the driver's seat of a pretty competitive district.

I agree that Woodford Coach Chris Tracy has to be in the mix. What a terrific job he has done!

How about Kevin Saunders at Shelby Valley. He has won over 100 career games and seems to have the Valley football program on the real upswing.

While we are on the subject, Coach Saunders and Shelby Valley are to be commended for their schedule.

When redistricting happened, Shelby Valley finally got to move out of Belfry's district. They could have padded their schedule and worked in some local patsies to make it a little easier on themselves, but they didn't. Coach Saunders must know that to get better, you have to play up as much as possible, and they were the first ones to call Belfry wanting to keep the series going.

Besides having Prestonsburg on their district schedule, they went out and scheduled 3A teams Pike Central, Breathitt Co, Belfry and East Ridge. Add to that a very good 4A Knox Central team and it is easy to see which direction Shelby Valley wants to go in terms of scheduling.

Kudos, Wildcats, keep up the good work.

I'd like to nomintae Phillip Haywood for pretty much the same reasons.

It seems win a team hasn't had a good year in a while and then finally "breakout" everyone wants to nominate the guy for coach of the year. Maybe the coach is a great coach, and maybe he is deserving, or maybe there just happened to be an exceptional number of athletes that finally matured into good football players.

My point is that guys like McGlone, Hilton, Yeagle, Haywood, Redman, Harp, Schneider, etc., consistently put great football teams on the field. Year in and year out any of these guys are serious contenders for a COY award.

Then I have to nominate John Edge at Catholic. He has been a head coach for 3 years and has won. 2 State Runners-Up and 3 Semi-States. The only thing he doesn't have on these guys is a title. This year has a tough schedule. Some think their teams have a tough schedule, but Look at this:

Evansville Reitz IN 5-0 (5-A) Ranked #2 in IN

Owensboro 5-0 (5-A) Ranked #4

South Spencer IN 3-2 (2-A) Ranked 10 in 2-A IN

Apollo 2-2 (6-A)

Hancock Co. 1-3 (2-A)

Todd Co. 1-3 (2-A)

Warren East 5-0 (4-A) Ranked #3 in 4-A

Ft. Campbell 3-2 (2-A) Ranked #7 in 2-A ( I think)

Madisonville 4-1 (6-A)

Daviess Co. 3-2 (6-A)