X vs. Manual

Diogenes

Who wins?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Nichols also had some choice words for the Trinity team after Trinity's dramatic, come from 11 down, road victory in 2005.

Centre, that was the game I saw. It was dramatic, wasn't a young Nick Petrino the QB, Dorffman big play WR? The Rocks came back and made plays, it wasn't as if Manual handed them the game. But, I distinctly recall wondering, as did several Rock supporters, why Manual kept throwing the ball with a 2 score lead with about 4 mins. left in the game. I remember something controversial about Nichols comments after the game, but I don't remember the specifics.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a fans perpective I think its easy to by critical of coaches. Coaching is a difficult job. Being successful, consistently is even more difficult.... Having said that, I'm sure that the Manual coaching staff does an outstanding job with the Manual program and players. I think several posters (including myself) have seen over the years situations were a coaching decision has had a major influence on the outcome of a game.

A couple of examples: (Im sure there are more and applicable to all schools...)

1. Several years ago, Manual had St.X by the tail, up ~20 points with under 5 minutes left in the game. Manual kept passing and St. X kept intercepting... St. X came back and won the game.

2. St. X vs. Male several years ago. Game was at Manual stadium, close game, tied late in the first half. St. X scores to take a 7 pt lead with ~1.30 left on the clock. Male decides to go for it on 4th and 5 deep in its own terriory. St. X had called a couple of time outs to stop the clock in hopes of getting good field position (~50 yd line)... Male was stopped and St. X scored again before the half. Male was demoralized, beat and the game was over at the half....

Im sure there are many examples over the years from all schools.....

Give the coaches a break, let them do their jobs. If you can do better, apply for the job......

From a fans perpective I think its easy to by critical of coaches. Coaching is a difficult job. Being successful, consistently is even more difficult.... Having said that, I'm sure that the Manual coaching staff does an outstanding job with the Manual program and players. I think several posters (including myself) have seen over the years situations were a coaching decision has had a major influence on the outcome of a game.

A couple of examples: (Im sure there are more and applicable to all schools...)

1. Several years ago, Manual had St.X by the tail, up ~20 points with under 5 minutes left in the game. Manual kept passing and St. X kept intercepting... St. X came back and won the game.

2. St. X vs. Male several years ago. Game was at Manual stadium, close game, tied late in the first half. St. X scores to take a 7 pt lead with ~1.30 left on the clock. Male decides to go for it on 4th and 5 deep in its own terriory. St. X had called a couple of time outs to stop the clock in hopes of getting good field position (~50 yd line)... Male was stopped and St. X scored again before the half. Male was demoralized, beat and the game was over at the half....

Im sure there are many examples over the years from all schools.....

Give the coaches a break, let them do their jobs. If you can do better, apply for the job......

Riverside157, Been there; Done that; Didn't get and don't want the T-Shirt. Not in football but in the greatest sport of them all! (I’ll leave you wondering about that one.) No, it isn’t soccer.

I agree with one-hundred percent of what you said, but when a coach is that quick to call out his kids, said coach looses a lot of respect in my book. That coach is as much a part of that team as anyone of those kids. That coach should be protecting their kids, not throwing them under the bus to ingratiate them selves to their fans via a reporter.

Riverside157, Been there; Done that; Didn't get and don't want the T-Shirt. Not in football but in the greatest sport of them all! (I’ll leave you wondering about that one.) No, it isn’t soccer.

I agree with one-hundred percent of what you said, but when a coach is that quick to call out his kids, said coach looses a lot of respect in my book. That coach is as much a part of that team as anyone of those kids. That coach should be protecting their kids, not throwing them under the bus to ingratiate them selves to their fans via a reporter.

Well said BirdieCat...we've all grumbled over our team's play calls and schemes from time to time. But Coach Glaser usually does a great job of not criticizing his player's effort. I remember when X missed an extra point against T in OT in the 83 playoffs to lose a heartbreaker. Glaser's quote in the paper wasn't about lack of execution, focus, etc...it was, "kickers don't lose games".

I was a freshman the year Nichols began his coaching career at Manual as the freshman coach, and having followed Manual football closely over the years I been witness to the career of Nichols (who is still comparatively "new" compared to Redman, Beatty, Glaser and almost every other coach of a "big" program) from the begining. Never as a player did I feel like coach Nichols threw us under the bus. As a fan I haven't seen or felt that either. Perhaps there is a specific incident in your memory where you felt he did that, but I don't recall it or at least not where it wasn't justified.

As far as game specifics, first of all Nichols isn't the offensive coordinator. While the buck ultimately stops at him, most of the criticism he recieves (from the X and T fans exclusively, notice this because we will get back to this subject) really is misdirected. Secondly, he is/was still a very new coach when these most aggregious errors were made. I'm sure if you go back to Beatty's Redmon's or Glasers' second and third season's you will find mistakes that they would've changed. This is now only his FIFTH season as a head coach, nobody is perfect from the begining.

Why is it that X and T fans seem to have the worst perception of coach Nichols? I'll tell you. They claim he recruits out of the Catholic Prep leagues. Well let me clue the public in on some things. Manual has ALWAYS recieved players who played in the Catholic leagues. I played in the Catholic leagues. When we were 1-9 NO ONE seemed to notice, now that the team is successful it a big deal. Fact is that Manual is the most academically prestigious school in the county. More kids from catholic middle schools probably go to Manual than any other public school for this reason. While I was at Manual probably 15% of the student body came from a private middle school, for a public school that is significant.

The other thing is that Nichols is alumni of Providence High School. The Catholic High School across the river in Indiana. He is Catholic, and knows that what ever is going on at the prep level will be seen again a few years down the road at X T and Male, or for those that choose, Manual.

Finally lets assume these rumors are true that recruting in the Catholic leagues exists. If it were true, how has it hurt St X? I can't figure it out, seems to me X isn't hurting for players. X is MUCH MUCH MUCH deeper than Manual in personel, it isn't even close. So if Manual has cherry picked the best of the Catholic leagues, where has it gotten us. Name me one D-1 player from Manual that came from the Catholic leagues? I don't know of any. The fact that this is even a factor in any kind "hate" from St X is laughable at best. Can Glaser look in the mirror and tell himself that every St X star came from the Catholic leagues? I personally know of players headed to Manual, making last minute decisions to go to X for one specific reason, and it ain't the girls. I suggest X get off that horse, unless they are willing to look at the situation in its entirety.

There is more I can say on the matter, but I want my final thought to be that Nichols has been good for Manual any way you look at it. He has been successfull in a situation that others were not and gives the program a blue collar attitude that alumni can apprecuate and that the players need. Lets get off of slandering this guy who spends countless hours developing quality young men (Keenan Burton ring a bell) and keep it to the game. The one thing I hate about this website is how badly Nichols is portrayed by some fans of X and T fans. It personally makes me sick.

I remember something controversial about Nichols comments after the game, but I don't remember the specifics.

If I remember correctly....the comment that caused the stink among the Rock faithful was "that the better team lost the game" or something along that line. :irked:

I was a freshman the year Nichols began his coaching career at Manual as the freshman coach, and having followed Manual football closely over the years I been witness to the career of Nichols (who is still comparatively "new" compared to Redman, Beatty, Glaser and almost every other coach of a "big" program) from the begining. Never as a player did I feel like coach Nichols threw us under the bus. As a fan I haven't seen or felt that either. Perhaps there is a specific incident in your memory where you felt he did that, but I don't recall it or at least not where it wasn't justified.

As far as game specifics, first of all Nichols isn't the offensive coordinator. While the buck ultimately stops at him, most of the criticism he recieves (from the X and T fans exclusively, notice this because we will get back to this subject) really is misdirected. Secondly, he is/was still a very new coach when these most aggregious errors were made. I'm sure if you go back to Beatty's Redmon's or Glasers' second and third season's you will find mistakes that they would've changed. This is now only his FIFTH season as a head coach, nobody is perfect from the begining.

Why is it that X and T fans seem to have the worst perception of coach Nichols? I'll tell you. They claim he recruits out of the Catholic Prep leagues. Well let me clue the public in on some things. Manual has ALWAYS recieved players who played in the Catholic leagues. I played in the Catholic leagues. When we were 1-9 NO ONE seemed to notice, now that the team is successful it a big deal. Fact is that Manual is the most academically prestigious school in the county. More kids from catholic middle schools probably go to Manual than any other public school for this reason. While I was at Manual probably 15% of the student body came from a private middle school, for a public school that is significant.

The other thing is that Nichols is alumni of Providence High School. The Catholic High School across the river in Indiana. He is Catholic, and knows that what ever is going on at the prep level will be seen again a few years down the road at X T and Male, or for those that choose, Manual.

Finally lets assume these rumors are true that recruting in the Catholic leagues exists. If it were true, how has it hurt St X? I can't figure it out, seems to me X isn't hurting for players. X is MUCH MUCH MUCH deeper than Manual in personel, it isn't even close. So if Manual has cherry picked the best of the Catholic leagues, where has it gotten us. Name me one D-1 player from Manual that came from the Catholic leagues? I don't know of any. The fact that this is even a factor in any kind "hate" from St X is laughable at best. Can Glaser look in the mirror and tell himself that every St X star came from the Catholic leagues? I personally know of players headed to Manual, making last minute decisions to go to X for one specific reason, and it ain't the girls. I suggest X get off that horse, unless they are willing to look at the situation in its entirety.

There is more I can say on the matter, but I want my final thought to be that Nichols has been good for Manual any way you look at it. He has been successfull in a situation that others were not and gives the program a blue collar attitude that alumni can apprecuate and that the players need. Lets get off of slandering this guy who spends countless hours developing quality young men (Keenan Burton ring a bell) and keep it to the game. The one thing I hate about this website is how badly Nichols is portrayed by some fans of X and T fans. It personally makes me sick.

What he said.:thumb:

The whole manual staff is full of upstanding people. If Coach Glasers gripe is that he raids the catholic leagues, I dont know if he does or not, dont really care either. I can tell you this about Coach Nichols, he doesnt care what you think about him or his program he puts everything into it and his players play hard for him because they love him. Not only do they love him, they love his other coaches and the staff he has assembled there. That staff is an awesome group of people and players remember that!

Now on the topic of Nichols going into the catholic leagues...Wouldn't he be mad or have a gripe if Glaser came into the optimist leagues and got players? Isn't that vice-versa type stuff? I dont know what goes on nor do I care, but it seems that some people who favor a certain team don't think about that and that its okay to raid a non catholic league for players. Im trying to avoid a breach of rule 13, i didnt say the R word!

You people before you start making judgements about nichols or glaser or any other coach need to get to know them first. If you get to know them and think they are scum then thats your opinion, dont go on hearsay be a man and find out from the person, go talk to them or meet them or something before you talk about the person they are or what they do because half of the time you are completely wrong.

The whole manual staff is full of upstanding people. If Coach Glasers gripe is that he raids the catholic leagues, I dont know if he does or not, dont really care either. I can tell you this about Coach Nichols, he doesnt care what you think about him or his program he puts everything into it and his players play hard for him because they love him. Not only do they love him, they love his other coaches and the staff he has assembled there. That staff is an awesome group of people and players remember that!

Now on the topic of Nichols going into the catholic leagues...Wouldn't he be mad or have a gripe if Glaser came into the optimist leagues and got players? Isn't that vice-versa type stuff? I dont know what goes on nor do I care, but it seems that some people who favor a certain team don't think about that and that its okay to raid a non catholic league for players. Im trying to avoid a breach of rule 13, i didnt say the R word!

You people before you start making judgements about nichols or glaser or any other coach need to get to know them first. If you get to know them and think they are scum then thats your opinion, dont go on hearsay be a man and find out from the person, go talk to them or meet them or something before you talk about the person they are or what they do because half of the time you are completely wrong.

Back to the game....

Manual 21

X- 14

Centre, that was the game I saw. It was dramatic, wasn't a young Nick Petrino the QB, Dorffman big play WR? The Rocks came back and made plays, it wasn't as if Manual handed them the game. But, I distinctly recall wondering, as did several Rock supporters, why Manual kept throwing the ball with a 2 score lead with about 4 mins. left in the game. I remember something controversial about Nichols comments after the game, but I don't remember the specifics.

That would be Orndorff. :thumb:

Back to the game....how good is Manual's Ullinski's? I've heard great things about him. Where does he play on the O and D lines?
It is always hard to judge a lineman without having game tape to study. Manual's O and D line have played well in every game minus the Central game. At Central the O-line allowed a great deal of penetration from the interior DL. That hasn't been a problem in the other games this year.

Specifically I can't recall a great number of big plays Ulinski has made, however again my opinion might change by watching tape and his play.

If I remember correctly....the comment that caused the stink among the Rock faithful was "that the better team lost the game" or something along that line. :irked:

The big stink arose after the game on the field with some comments directed to the Trinity players. I could post them, but I'd be suspended.