• Cincinnati St. Xavier in a close one
    • Cincinnati St. Xavier in a blow out
    • Trinity in a close one
    • Trinity in a blow out

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time the Rocks played a powerful Cincinnati team was 2002, against an Elder team that would be the eventual Ohio state champion that year. Similar statements were made. Final score: Rocks 44-Elder 20! You underestimate Trinity at your own peril.

Can you post the entire record against OH teams or is that the only game T has played against OH?

The last time the Rocks played a powerful Cincinnati team was 2002, against an Elder team that would be the eventual Ohio state champion that year. Similar statements were made. Final score: Rocks 44-Elder 20! You underestimate Trinity at your own peril.

Two things:

1. You had Brian Brohm in 2002. You don't have him in 2007.
  2. This St. Xavier team is LIGHT YEARS better than that 2002 Elder squad. They return 15 starters from last season several of which are 3-yr starters.

I wish Trinity the best and I am looking for a good game. But to this point, NO ONE has come close to showing they can hang with Trinity.

-CF

Two things:

1. You had Brian Brohm in 2002. You don't have him in 2007.
  2. This St. Xavier team is LIGHT YEARS better than that 2002 Elder squad. They return 15 starters from last season several of which are 3-yr starters.

I wish Trinity the best and I am looking for a good game. But to this point, NO ONE has come close to showing they can hang with Trinity.

-CF

err...St. X.:thumb:

I have not seen Cin St X play. They must be loaded to be ranked so high nationally. I also believe that Trinity will score. Beatty is an offensive genius. St. X is highly favored and should win, but Trinity will score some points.

Can you post the entire record against OH teams or is that the only game T has played against OH?

No....but with our "new" system...we are much more competitive against them..

2002 - Elder, we won 44-20 while amassing 472 yards

2003 - Cincy X, we lost 24-17 in a doozie, gained 293 yards to their 223

2004 - Chaminade (I know it's not GCL, but), we won 43-29, and got 481 yards, AND returned a KO 98 yards for a score

Not too bad under this regime...

Cincy St X is the real deal. I'd love to see T pull it off, I just can't see it happening.

My sentiments exactly. I sat in the Ryle stands in 2002 watched Florian, Glathaar, and Murray for Elder try to take over the game but only one person took over that game. Heisman candicate Brian Brohm avoided blitzes, dropping 8 back, dropped passes and still put 44 points on the board.

Unfortunately, only one person could do that for this year-Tim Phillips.

Here's how I see it. Trinity will try to be patient to keep the defense off the field. It works for a quarter and a half and St X leads 14-7 at half on 2 passes as Trinity stacks the line to stop the run. Trinity gets impatient for big play or Z gets punt blocked (watch for it, big leg but just a bit slow to get it off. Ask Dematha's punter, great punter but he got one blocked by St X also)

which puts X up 21-7. Berning and Atchley chew up the 4th quarter for 2 scores as X wins 35-7. X ends up with 2 to 1 in possession time as incomplete passes and 3 and outs add up to tired defense. Weitlauf and Whiting play inspired but both give up 80 pounds to X linemen who are not slow. It is one thing to face a slow 300 pounder but put a couple of quick 275-280 pounders to pound on you with Atchley cutting off their blocks for 4 quarters. That's IMHO.

No....but with our "new" system...we are much more competitive against them..

2004 - Chaminade (I know it's not GCL, but),

FYI

Dayton Chaminade is in the GCL North and competes in the Division 3 in the playoffs.

They have 309 boys according to the OHSAA.org site

http://ohsaa.org/members.asp?SCHOOL_ID=352

or comparable to Owensboro Catholic.

Cincy St X has 1575 male students enrolled in the 2007-2008 year.

We're not getting beat 35-7.

You really don't know what you are running into, do you? :sssh:

You may not give up 35 because they don't play to score a lot of points. They play ball control, field position type football. Their special teams are lights out. Your kickoff return team will be completely neutralized. Their kicker consistently kicks through the endzone on kickoffs....every time.

I think X scores somewhere in the 24-27 range and Trinity scores somewhere in the 7-10 range.

-CF