August 23, 200719 yr So Silver Grove needs to just work harder to compete against Highlands, Scott County, St. X, Lex Catholic and the like? WOW--Interesting that you chose one of the smallest schools in the state to compare against established 5A & 6A programs. Trinity probably has more boys in some classes than SG has in the HS?? Why not compare Trinity to the Indy Colts while you're at it??
August 23, 200719 yr One thing is for sure, if Sears is making the point of contention winning a state title he had no business moving Somerset up in football. Exactly.....why say winning is most important...and not the most important in the same breath.
August 23, 200719 yr I for one would be all for defined feeder schools at NCC as long as they get to keep the same schools that have been sending students to them since the early 50's . I can think of one Campbell County Catholic HS that would love to see the Diocese's designated feeder schools' guidelines followed!!
August 23, 200719 yr Which private school cut this guy or his kids from the debate team--His immaturity is remarkable?? When will he start lobbying for a separate class for schools in Somerset only??
August 23, 200719 yr I agree--all special education students should be given vouchers to attend private schools where they can get good educations.:devil: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
August 23, 200719 yr I agree--all special education students should be given vouchers to attend private schools where they can get good educations.:devil: We do very well from many children with special needs, not that you would believe it. That, and we win in sports. Man that must get your goat. :lol:
August 23, 200719 yr I find it ironic. Somerset was never shy about taking out-of-district athletes as students in their school. Some as far away as Wayne or Russell Counties. The growth of the Pulaski County schools (PC and PSW) has thinned out the pool some for SHS. Somerset football was the only game in town before Pulaski County High School started playing football in the late '80's.
August 23, 200719 yr I can think of one Campbell County Catholic HS that would love to see the Diocese's designated feeder schools' guidelines followed!! You completely missed the subtlety in my post . St Joes Cold Spring etall was included in that post for they have been sending students to NCC since the beginning .
August 23, 200719 yr I agree--all special education students should be given vouchers to attend private schools where they can get good educations.:devil: Trinity has what I belive is called the "Traditional Program" for special needs students. I would think that some of those students would be in a special education class in a public school. Other Private schools around the state that do not have a current program in place, are studying and are in the process of creating programs like the one at Trinity, to offer as many children as possible, acces to a Private education.
August 23, 200719 yr IMHO, here is what I see as the flaw in this argument. This is not an attack just my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any Private School that gives 100% financial aid to any student, unless 100% of their student body gets 100% financial aid. Every family/student has to pay SOMETHING to attend that private school, plus pay whatever their school taxes are for the public school system in the county in which they live. Every family/student who attends a Public School has to pay NOTHING to attend that public school, except for paying whatever the school taxes there are for the public school system in the county in which they live. Every family who chooses to send their child to a private school makes a conscious financial decision to send their child to that private school. They pay twice for that decision. (Tuition plus Taxes) If that parent/family is willing to pay the price why should they be limited on where they can choose to send their child? If it’s half way across town, or half way across the state, then they're paying yet a third time, for transportation. Because most private schools don’t offer bus service anymore. The State stopped paying for that service as well, many many years ago. Now, if someone can convince our State Legislators to give School Vouchers or Tax Credits to those of us who make this conscious financial decision to send our kids to Private Schools, so we don't have to pay the school taxes and only have pay tuition, then there MIGHT be a legitimate argument. But, until then every family who makes the decision to send their kids to a Private School, pays taxes just like everyone else does. And until then, every family who makes the decision to send their kids to a Private School deserves the right to have a say so in where they can an can not send their children for their education. Again JMHO, but this argument just doesn’t hold much water with me. First, I would vote for vouchers. Second, on the bolded, I have not seen anything in any of the arguments that is taking away the right of parents to choose where they want to send their kids to school. The privates keep barking about it is the parent's right and they are absolutely correct in that. And not a single thing has been put forward that takes that right away. Parents can send their children to what ever school they wish.
August 23, 200719 yr Being that you have St. X and Highlands in this list...you must be thinking f-ball...Silver Grove doesn't have football...otherwise, why don't you go back and see how well the public schools do in basketball. Why mention a public school in your question, when the root of this debate is public -vs- private? Why do you always feel the need to side with the public, and sometimes use an argument like the above, that can not possibly hold water, in that it contradicts the nature of the thread, as a whole? Remember my proposal from back in January, does not split at public/private but at size and open/closed enrollment. I think the issue is MORE than just public/private. So in one essence I AGREE with privates that the issue is NOT just about public/private. I think it is about open enrollment schools that draw from multiple counties. In an urban setting that works. In rural settins where the roads don't necessarily allow for going through multiple counties, open enrollment does not work. So, the basis of my posts is that it is NOT JUST A private/public issue. I believe I am a rare bird on here that sees the publics complaint and agrees that their is an unfair playing field with schools (it mainly benefits urban schools) that draws from multiple counties but supports the right for privates to recruit students and would vote for a voucher system in a heartbeat to support and encourage that right. I will readily admit many of you and the arguments you have presented and I have weighed is part of the reason I would unabashedly support private schools.
August 23, 200719 yr You completely missed the subtlety in my post . St Joes Cold Spring etall was included in that post for they have been sending students to NCC since the beginning . What subtlety?? St. Joes Cold Spring has also sent kids to CovCath, Highlands, Brossart, Campbell, and others I'm sure, along with NCC; but is not a NCC feeder according to the diocese's guidelines?? I think this situation has been discussed and critiqued several times before here on BGP. If having once sent a student to a certain HS at some point in the past, is your criteria for being designated a feeder middle school, you've got a real mess on your hands?? Back to the point at hand, I believe the point of a private education, and what Mr. Sears and his cohorts are whining about; is the right to chose which school you wish to spend your tuition dollars with?? :confused:
August 23, 200719 yr I have read the posts of both sides of this debate. I think that both sides make legitimate points. However, I do notice that many threads mention reruiting from other counties, what about other STATES. I am confused on the reasoning to allow kids residing from out of state to play for a Kentucky State Championships. Anyone that is familiar with some of the private schools in Jefferson Co. know that they have players from Indiana on their squads. Does this tilt the playing field?
August 23, 200719 yr So in one essence I AGREE with privates that the issue is NOT just about public/private. I think it is about open enrollment schools that draw from multiple counties. In an urban setting that works. In rural settins where the roads don't necessarily allow for going through multiple counties, open enrollment does not work. So, the basis of my posts is that it is NOT JUST A private/public issue. You are perspective seems very accurate. All we have to do is look at our state flag and our state motto and their origin to understand that the urban/ural issues have been with this state since its formation and are still with us today. This issues just have a different form. I remember when 4A football was organized such that one of the finalist came from Jefferson County and the other from 'out in the state'. This created heartburn for some of the rurals since Jefferson County had what amounted to an automatic bid to the finals. So they changed it. Now we regularly get 2 Jefferson County schools in the finals. That issue was urban vs. rural or at least Jefferson County vs. the state. The private/public debate is very much divided along similar lines since much of the rural portion of the state, as you accurately point out, does not have much choice of schools. Prop 2 would have negatively impacted both the private and public schools in the urban settings, especially in Jefferson County. However, again as you have pointed out numerous times, it would have no impact on a large portion of the state. If I was in rural part of the state I would have been backing Prop 2 to the hilt since it would damage my competition and have no effect on me. And hence why the most visible backers are from the rural based schools.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.