Belfry/Hazard Scrimmage

EKUAlum05

Varsity

Belfry 4

Hazard 1

Hazard's varsity also scored easily on Belfry's second stringers.

Very tough scrimmage to get a read on Belfry. Haywood was very devoted to working on passing game and alternative sets. LOTS of subs throughout on both sides of the ball.

On the first play of the scrimmage Dustin May broke a 70 yard TD, May probably only had 5 carries the entire scrimmage, but scored 2 TD, probably had 125 + yards, and looked very impressive.

Pirates looked VERY SLOPPY at times, and absolutely dominating at others. Timing on passing game isn't there yet, Elkins would throw a perfect pass just to have it dropped by a wide open receiver, and other times Elkins would have a man wide open on a slant and miss the throw.

Defensively Belfry's starting 11 looked very good, as subs came in assignments were missed more often.

THE POSITIVES:

-When Belfry's backs got the ball in their hands, and when Elkins ran the ball, they looked very impressive. Timmy Lovern really shined tonight as well, leading the Pirates down the field and setting up a TD in varsity action.

-Receivers were open all night and Elkins was checking down to the right receiver.

-As I said, when Belfry's 1st team defense was on the field they looked solid.They get to the ball very quickly and do a good job of gang tackling.

THE NEGATIVES:

-False Start, False Start, Bad Snap, Missed Block, Bad Snap, False Start... seemed this sequence happened way too often.

-As the scrimmage wore on, the tackling from the secondary grew increasingly worse.

- Execution on screen passes was attrocious.

-Did I mention False Starts and Bad Snaps?

For thsoe interested in Hazard:

The Bulldogs had some nice moments in this one. Olinger looked really good scrambling, Campbell was really tough as well. The Bulldogs will be tough to beat in their district.

One huge problem Hazard has right now is dropped passes. Olinger has the ability to keep the play alive with his feet and find receivers once they eventually get free, but numerous times they dropped passes that would ahve been nice gains.

Defensively, Hazard did really good at batting down passes at the LOS and frequently pressured the Pirates when Elkins was back to pass. They have pretty good quickness on defense, they hit really well, but are definately undersized and struggled mightily tackling Belfry's backs.

Lovern was a very pleasant surprise, probably had 60 yards rushing on 3 carries, including a broken play where he reversed field and made numerous jukes for about a 35 yard gain. What shocked me was an Iso play where he lowered his head and ran over a Bulddog defender for extra yards.

Southerland did not dress tonight, not an injury, just sick. I would list him as Questionable to Doubtful for the corbin game.

Also, Zack Smith got injured on a helmet to helmet collision in the endzone. Smith appeared to have caught a TD pass when a Hazard dfeender put a solid hit on him, if what I hear is true then he should be fine, but the medical staff took every precaution.

Lovern was a very pleasant surprise, probably had 60 yards rushing on 3 carries, including a broken play where he reversed field and made numerous jukes for about a 35 yard gain. What shocked me was an Iso play where he lowered his head and ran over a Bulddog defender for extra yards.

Southerland did not dress tonight, not an injury, just sick. I would list him as Questionable to Doubtful for the corbin game.

Also, Zack Smith got injured on a helmet to helmet collision in the endzone. Smith appeared to have caught a TD pass when a Hazard dfeender put a solid hit on him, if what I hear is true then he should be fine, but the medical staff took every precaution.

helmet to helmet? Any flags dropped on this? This is a POE this year. How was the officiating in the 15th? The 13th has a lot of newbies, the 14th, well, they have no one and we work most of their games.

helmet to helmet? Any flags dropped on this? This is a POE this year. How was the officiating in the 15th? The 13th has a lot of newbies, the 14th, well, they have no one and we work most of their games.

No flags were thrown,,, and whether it was helmet to helmet is debatable. Talking to the team physician he said that he got two accounts, Belfry said the concussion occured when the helmet to helmet hit occured. The Hazrad sideline said it occured when his head hit the ground. I know for a fact the kids head did hit the turf, because that was visible,, it was also visible that the defender made the hit with his head down.

There were 8 different officials working the game, so I assume it was training for a few (there also was two inadvertant whistles including a Belfry TD run that was blown dead cause an official got faked out on a playfake).

In the defense of the officials, it would be really hard to see whether it was a helmet to helmet hit because of the angle it occured. The receiver was coming back to the ball in the back of the end zone and was leaning forward as the defender made the hit.

The good news is, Smith should be back in a couple weeks.