August 18, 200719 yr I echo that, maybe a tad shorter, but it does look like his dad Dad was 7'4" so he is a "tad" shorter. Built like him though. He and Bowie both were like sticks coming out of High School.
August 19, 200719 yr Dad was 7'4" so he is a "tad" shorter. Built like him though. He and Bowie both were like sticks coming out of High School. I remember his dad well. I also remember some good matchups between he and Herb Williams
August 19, 200719 yr For those of us who I guess are a tad bit wet behind the ears.. why didn't we get his father?
August 19, 200719 yr For those of us who I guess are a tad bit wet behind the ears.. why didn't we get his father? Because he misspoke I believe. :lol:
August 20, 200719 yr For those of us who I guess are a tad bit wet behind the ears.. why didn't we get his father? I have no clue, but would assume, he just didn't want to go to UK.
August 20, 200719 yr Seems like I once heard that he was going to commit to UK, had told Hall he was coming, and when he got to the mic to announce, he was as suprised as anyone that Virginia came out of his mouth. I do think he liked UK, but in the end, VA just pulled at the heart strings. Maybe he'll guide the jr. Sampson to us.
August 20, 200719 yr For those of us who I guess are a tad bit wet behind the ears.. why didn't we get his father? If I remember correctly, UK had already received a commitment from Sam Bowie and there was talk that both would come to UK. I remember that Ralph kept it quiet until the presser in the packed high school gym where he announced UVA. Maybe Bowie's presence swayed him.
August 27, 200719 yr Author Sampson visited UK this weekend and came away very impressed. Sampson got to meet some of the players, checked out Rupp, and the new practice facility. Quote: UK is recruiting other players, but I'm at the postion they need the most. They said they need a strong four man and I'm the guy they want. He also said he feels better about UK after the visit. Didn't know to much about them, but now I know alot more. I'm definitely very interested in them.
August 27, 200719 yr If I remember correctly, UK had already received a commitment from Sam Bowie and there was talk that both would come to UK. I remember that Ralph kept it quiet until the presser in the packed high school gym where he announced UVA. Maybe Bowie's presence swayed him. Ralph even mumbled Kentucky before correcting himself and saying Virginia. Joe Hall and Leonard Hamilton were staying in his home town all week when his mom (or someone in his family) told them to go on home, that Ralph was coming to UK and not to worry. Joe said he was floored when the announcement was made and wished he had stayed in Virginia babysitting until the announcement. According to Joe, Ralph was looking forward to playing forward to Bowies center. --- Joe recently told this story on the Joe B and Denny show.
August 27, 200719 yr Ralph even mumbled Kentucky before correcting himself and saying Virginia. Joe Hall and Leonard Hamilton were staying in his home town all week when his mom (or someone in his family) told them to go on home, that Ralph was coming to UK and not to worry. Joe said he was floored when the announcement was made and wished he had stayed in Virginia babysitting until the announcement. According to Joe, Ralph was looking forward to playing forward to Bowies center. --- Joe recently told this story on the Joe B and Denny show. That was pretty much in a nutshell. Joe even had a plane waiting to fly him to Harrisonburg after the announcement. The truth was that Mama wanted him close to home and Charlottesville is considerably closer than Lexington. A sidebar. A reporter friend told me that when he was talking with Coach Holland at UVA he asked why the Cavs did not get the ball to Ralph Sampson on their last shot vs. NC State during Ralph's last NCAA game. (1983) He said, "Ralph looked at me in the TO huddle and said, 'Don't give me the ball.'" Enough said.
September 3, 200719 yr Interesting battle could be brewing between OTS and BCG for the servicces of this 4-star big man!
September 8, 200719 yr Ralph is ok I've seen him play he got man handled though by a kid name Vargas from the Team Breakdown. Sampson currently plays for georgia stars.
September 27, 200719 yr If I remember correctly, UK had already received a commitment from Sam Bowie and there was talk that both would come to UK. I remember that Ralph kept it quiet until the presser in the packed high school gym where he announced UVA. Maybe Bowie's presence swayed him. Here is the real story from a UK booster and close personal friend of Joe B Hall who was with Joe when Ralph announced he was going to UVA. I just learned this about 1-2 years ago. He had told UK he was coming. He wanted to play at UK badly. He felt that with he and Bowie they would be unstoppable. Ralph was nearly in tears and told Hall that his mother told him he would not be going to UK and was going to UVA or she would not speak to him anymore. She was not a fan of the Cats. He opted to keep peace in the family and chose UVA. My source was about as close to the situation as it gets. I sure would have liked to have seen him wearing the Blue!!!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.