Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ankiel making Cardinals return

Featured Replies

-- Let the Rick Ankiel era begin -- again.

 

The St. Louis Cardinals purchased the contract of Ankiel from Triple-A Memphis on Thursday, and the outfielder is expected to be in the starting lineup for tonight's game against the Padres. Ankiel was batting .267 with a league-leading 32 homers and 89 RBIs in 102 games at Memphis

 

 

 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070809&content_id=2139385&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

This time, it's OK for him to hurl a 150-foot throw towards home plate.

This time, it's OK for him to hurl a 150-foot throw towards home plate.

 

:lol:

 

I read a while back there was a good chance he could be back with the team this year. Really happy for him and proud of his effort.

 

With that said, his effort in the postseason was one of the most brutal things I have ever seen. Next to that Cubs/Marlins series.

Goes to show, how much of a mental aspect, there is to Pitching.

I remember watching the game live when his whole meltdown began. Kudos to the kid for making it all the way back to the big leagues... :thumb:

This comeback says alot about the player. Nice to see him make it back to the bigs.

Great effort to get back to the show, he can really hit.

Hit a 3-run homer in his comeback. Only hit of the game.

I tell you guys, I'm completely amazed with this story. This has to be one of the strangest, yet most feel-good, transformations I can remember during my 30+ years of watching sports. Guy comes up as the can't miss Stud (think Homer Bailey with the wrong hand), bombs (maybe over-said, but close), and then spends 3 (or 4?) years remaking himself in the minors and returns the freaking Majors as an outfielder? Great for him. Just an unreal story.

I tell you guys, I'm completely amazed with this story. This has to be one of the strangest, yet most feel-good, transformations I can remember during my 30+ years of watching sports. Guy comes up as the can't miss Stud (think Homer Bailey with the wrong hand), bombs (maybe over-said, but close), and then spends 3 (or 4?) years remaking himself in the minors and returns the freaking Majors as an outfielder? Great for him. Just an unreal story.

 

The strange thing about his pitching was that he was really good for a while. Then it just fell apart...after LaRussa pitched him in a big situation (playoff game), I think...or am I wrong about that?

The strange thing about his pitching was that he was really good for a while. Then it just fell apart...after LaRussa pitched him in a big situation (playoff game), I think...or am I wrong about that?

 

Correct. It was just in the first round of the playoffs against the Braves. He was in the rotation and just simply threw a bad pitch and it was downhill from there... On a side note, it is amazing he has come back to the majors, but if anyone remembers him from before, he was a really good hitter (for a pitcher). I would say his biggest adjustment came from having to play an everyday position.

Correct. It was just in the first round of the playoffs against the Braves. He was in the rotation and just simply threw a bad pitch and it was downhill from there... On a side note, it is amazing he has come back to the majors, but if anyone remembers him from before, he was a really good hitter (for a pitcher). I would say his biggest adjustment came from having to play an everyday position.

 

I agree...he was a good hitter. I was thinking it was a playoff game against Atlanta. If I'm not mistaken, it was game one, and there were some questions about whether LaRussa should pitch him in the opening game of a playoff series as a rookie...

 

I remember because I won my fantasy baseball league that year, largely because of Ankiel and a couple others. I went heavy on hitters that year, and then done a lot of reading on ESPN and others about young, relatively unknown pitchers who could have an impact...I picked up Rick Ankiel, Kris Benson and one other that year and they all had solid seasons...anyway, not really on topic, but it's my shining moment as a fantasy baseball GM. :lol:

I tell you guys, I'm completely amazed with this story. This has to be one of the strangest, yet most feel-good, transformations I can remember during my 30+ years of watching sports. Guy comes up as the can't miss Stud (think Homer Bailey with the wrong hand), bombs (maybe over-said, but close), and then spends 3 (or 4?) years remaking himself in the minors and returns the freaking Majors as an outfielder? Great for him. Just an unreal story.
Well said, HSSB.....I agree and great to see MLB, have a positive story.

Good to see him back, and better to see him hit a HR in his first game!

I never have seen LaRussa show so much joy as when Ankiel hit the HR. He was tearing up Memphis with 30+ HR and 89 RBI. They would have called him up earlier but he was out of options. So once he is called up, he will have to stay.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.