Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NKU Basketball

Featured Replies

This I can tell you from what I know....when NKU plays their home games, beer will not be sold because technically it's still on campus.

 

 

I don't believe being on campus has anything to do with it, unless that is a division II rule. :confused: UC serves beer, and their arena is on campus. A few years back, they were one of only a few schools that served beer at basketball games.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't believe being on campus has anything to do with it, unless that is a division II rule. :confused: UC serves beer, and their arena is on campus. A few years back, they were one of only a few schools that served beer at basketball games.

 

I don't think that UC is designated as a dry campus...but Northern definitely is.

I don't think that UC is designated as a dry campus...but Northern definitely is.

 

Yeah. I just don't think the location of the arena serves any reason as to whether the school can serve beer or not at events.

Here is what I don't understand about NKU, their lack of recruiting in Kentucky. I can remeber them taking The Beckett kid from St. Patrick in Maysville in 96 and Morton from Lexington Catholic but they just don't seem to ever recruit large numbers of Kentucky high school players. Take a player like Keaton Belcher or Joey Verax from Pendleton, these are players NKU should have moved the earth to get because they can play and would generate fan support. I can't get behind the Norse because all their players are from Cincinnati and I just don't know them.

Here is what I don't understand about NKU, their lack of recruiting in Kentucky. I can remeber them taking The Beckett kid from St. Patrick in Maysville in 96 and Morton from Lexington Catholic but they just don't seem to ever recruit large numbers of Kentucky high school players. Take a player like Keaton Belcher or Joey Verax from Pendleton, these are players NKU should have moved the earth to get because they can play and would generate fan support. I can't get behind the Norse because all their players are from Cincinnati and I just don't know them.

I know of at least 3 NKY players on their roster...

3 out of 13 or 14 that could be there, for a regional division two school that is pretty sad. It would be in my opinion NKU would want to recruit as many northern and central Kentucky players they could especially in basketball mad counties such as Mason, Bracken, Pendleton, Harrison to help generate interest in the program with citizens of the state that pay the tax dollars to keep the university afloat. I say this in keeping with the fact you should do this only if the talent is there, but for twenty years I do think the talent has been there and Shields/Bezold have ignored it.

3 out of 13 or 14 that could be there, for a regional division two school that is pretty sad. It would be in my opinion NKU would want to recruit as many northern and central Kentucky players they could especially in basketball mad counties such as Mason, Bracken, Pendleton, Harrison to help generate interest in the program with citizens of the state that pay the tax dollars to keep the university afloat. I say this in keeping with the fact you should do this only if the talent is there, but for twenty years I do think the talent has been there and Shields/Bezold have ignored it.

 

 

10 of their 14 players on last year's roster are local kids. 2 of the other 4 were about an hour away (Lexington and Dayton), with the other two being from Cleveland and Illinois.

Here is what I don't understand about NKU, their lack of recruiting in Kentucky. I can remeber them taking The Beckett kid from St. Patrick in Maysville in 96 and Morton from Lexington Catholic but they just don't seem to ever recruit large numbers of Kentucky high school players. Take a player like Keaton Belcher or Joey Verax from Pendleton, these are players NKU should have moved the earth to get because they can play and would generate fan support. I can't get behind the Norse because all their players are from Cincinnati and I just don't know them.

 

Where are Belcher and Verax?

 

Isn't Belcher playing D1?

 

Isn't Verax D3?

 

So you're saying Belcher would have declined the opportunity play D1 and NKU should have recruited a kid who went D3?

You totally have taken what I said out of context, if the right pitch was made to kids like the two above examples a kid like Belcher might be inclined to stay home and play a level down. From what I'm hearing NKU just does make the pitch, now I don't know if they just don't respect central Kentucky high school basketball or they just want to recruit the Cincinnati area. Also, I don't care what level Verax went he could have contributed at NKU.

I don't think that UC is designated as a dry campus...but Northern definitely is.

It's up to the conference that you play in. C-USA allowed for beer sales at there games, basketball and football. SEC didn't, as well as others.

I wish that they would sell beers at their games. I know it may sound bad, but I know that more students would attend the game. The Hockey Club sells alcohol at their games beacuse they play off campus and they always have good turnouts.

 

As for the new arena, statmanhensley is correct, the hope is for it to be done for graduation in May of 2008 and from conversations I've had with administrators it should be ready in time.

 

Just means you have to get up to skyline a little earlier to make up for it.

3 out of 13 or 14 that could be there, for a regional division two school that is pretty sad. It would be in my opinion NKU would want to recruit as many northern and central Kentucky players they could especially in basketball mad counties such as Mason, Bracken, Pendleton, Harrison to help generate interest in the program with citizens of the state that pay the tax dollars to keep the university afloat. I say this in keeping with the fact you should do this only if the talent is there, but for twenty years I do think the talent has been there and Shields/Bezold have ignored it.

Last year 3 NKY kids

2006 4

2005 6

Ken Shields took NKU into the national spotlight. Maybe what you fail to realize is that a major part of a head coaches job is to recruit top talent. Have them succeed in the classroom, and oh yeah one minor thing: WIN BASKETBALL GAMES!! I really don't see how anyone with any knowledge at all questions the tenure of Ken Shields at NKU.

3 out of 13 or 14 that could be there, for a regional division two school that is pretty sad. It would be in my opinion NKU would want to recruit as many northern and central Kentucky players they could especially in basketball mad counties such as Mason, Bracken, Pendleton, Harrison to help generate interest in the program with citizens of the state that pay the tax dollars to keep the university afloat. I say this in keeping with the fact you should do this only if the talent is there, but for twenty years I do think the talent has been there and Shields/Bezold have ignored it.

 

I know I'm getting in on this conversation late...but I believe Steven Wright is better than probably anyone that they could have brought in from KY, the guy is amazing. And if they can keep getting D1 transfers, I'm all for them recruiting out of state.

Just means you have to get up to skyline a little earlier to make up for it.

 

 

Hey man...you know that's the truth, lol. Ever since it opened early spring semester I have spent a decent amount of my paychecks at that fine establishment, lol.

You totally have taken what I said out of context, if the right pitch was made to kids like the two above examples a kid like Belcher might be inclined to stay home and play a level down. From what I'm hearing NKU just does make the pitch, now I don't know if they just don't respect central Kentucky high school basketball or they just want to recruit the Cincinnati area. Also, I don't care what level Verax went he could have contributed at NKU.

 

So who do you think should be at NKU that isn't there? Or who did they miss out on?

 

I know of 1 player personally who would've gone to NKU and who could've played there; however, Coach Bezold told him that they were going in a different direction, and ultimately, it worked out best for the player. In the end, NKU was actually burned as their other option backed out of his committment to walk-on at a Division 1 school.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.