May 31, 200719 yr There is some talk of the Canadian Football League having some interest in coming back to he US. They had great success in the San Antonio area and Baltimore area, with Baltimore even winning the Grey Cup and leading the league in attendance. They were squashed o the th relocation of he Browns though.
May 31, 200719 yr I am not sure it would go. Issues with when to play would be my biggest factor. With fall being the traditional "football season" and we already have NFL on Sunday's & Monday night, High School on Friday's and College's on Saturday (and every other night of the week now also) I don't see where it would fit in. I know the fan base is not exactly the same for all of these, but there is obviously a lot of overlapping. Locations of team would also be a big factor in determining if this would go, IMO. Placing teams in areas that WILL develop a fan base that WILL attend games.
May 31, 200719 yr Any new professional sports league that will try to compete with the NFL or NBA will fail because of television. The USFL and XFL signed TV contracts in their 1st year. The TV executives want franchises in the large markets (LA, New York, Chicago, Miami, etc.) so they will have a large TV market to sell the product. The problem is that fans in large markets will not support a “2nd rate” professional team. The markets that “may” support a “2nd rate” team are cities like Birmingham (which support both the USFL and XFL very well), Charleston WV, Louisville, Oklahoma City or any other Mid-Market city that doesn’t have a major sport franchise. So their lies the dilemma for the group that wants to start a new league Fan support vs. TV revenue.
May 31, 200719 yr Isn't most of America, who is watching Friday night football, in fact witnessing mediocre football? For the most part... I know we are in Pikeville.:devil:
May 31, 200719 yr My point is, if the talent is equally matched football is pretty interesting at any level. But you're not interested in NFL Europe, which is equally matched football. Many that love football, love it for different reasons at each level. We love to watch the kids play and progress at the Pop Warner and High School levels. We love the rivalries and passion/desire at the college level. We love the fact we can watch the elite players battle week-in and week-out in the NFL. What is there to love about NFL Europe, or another professional football league? They have nothing to offer over and beyond what we already have. The XFL tried a different brand of football, and it didn't work.
June 1, 200719 yr But you're not interested in NFL Europe, which is equally matched football. That is because I am not from there and the times are all messed up. If NFL2 played in American cities (like Louisville) and played at traditional NFL times (in the spring to early summer) I would be very interested.
June 1, 200719 yr That is because I am not from there and the times are all messed up. If NFL2 played in American cities (like Louisville) and played at traditional NFL times (in the spring to early summer) I would be very interested. :thumb: I would be too... BTW, I think this will probably flop, if even this league ever forms.
June 1, 200719 yr When it comes to professional football, most want to see the best. I know that's how I feel, I watch some NFL Europe but after seeing NFL quality I can barely deal with the lower quality.
June 1, 200719 yr Wasn't the XFL staged? Weren't they set up like wrestling matches where big hits and sweet plays were planned and rehearsed? If your going to make a new football league, which I think is doable, it has to be very different. Take everything people don't like about the NFL and change it. Tweak the games so they are highly entertaining and give people a reason to watch.
June 1, 200719 yr Friday night is a horrible night to make a run. I would like to see the NFL have an NFL2 (or something like that) played in the spring in the United States using large cities that don't currently have NFL football. I know that is sort of the idea behind NFL Europe but I have zero interest in NFL Europe. I could see that, cities Like Louisville and Lexington come to mind in KY. It could almost be like the babeball has with farm teams and what not, but maybe a little bit more elite, Could've maybe even compete with calaries for some 1'st string guys that would be 3 string guys in the NFL as of today. Could really give some guys a shot.
June 1, 200719 yr Is there even enough talent out there to have an NFL2? I just don't see it happening. There won't be enough interest to go watch mediocre football during the spring. You mix in enough speed,size, and raw talent, and mediocre guys still look pretty dang good.
June 1, 200719 yr But you're not interested in NFL Europe, which is equally matched football. Many that love football, love it for different reasons at each level. We love to watch the kids play and progress at the Pop Warner and High School levels. We love the rivalries and passion/desire at the college level. We love the fact we can watch the elite players battle week-in and week-out in the NFL. What is there to love about NFL Europe, or another professional football league? They have nothing to offer over and beyond what we already have. The XFL tried a different brand of football, and it didn't work. To be honest, I'll watch some NFL Europe, especially if I'm craving football and know it's on,however it's hard to find out when it's on and then consistantly follow it.
June 1, 200719 yr D1 College Football is pretty interesting. My point is, if the talent is equally matched football is pretty interesting at any level. I agree interest will be the major issue and the only chance of having enough interest will be if it is done by the NFL and it is their equivalent of AAA Baseball. I agree with this. :thumb:
June 1, 200719 yr If I am watching Friday Night Football, it will be at a local H.S. game and possibly a NCAA game if televised. I have "0" interest in "Cuban" ball.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.