Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fans Contacting Recruits

Featured Replies

What do you think should be done? I just don't see anyway to "police" this, so to speak.

 

I don't think there is a reasonable answer to this question. I would think any solution that you could come up with would be unfair to the recruit that is being targeted.

  • Replies 141
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So because fans don't know how to act, they should delete their Myspace pages that more than likely were created far before they were ever being recruited?

 

Not quite, but your spinning gets better with each thread... That's a compliment. ;)

 

I've already came out as someone who thinks the fans doing this are morons, so I'm not changing my position. The post you quoted was not meant for any player in specific, just in general. Lots of these players have been stars for years and know from a considerably young age if they are going to be major division I calibur players. Most of them don't magically just wake up and become stars... They work for it and expect it. Patterson has led his team to 3 straight West Virginia titles... Do you think he had no idea the day he made a myspace that somebody would attempt to contact him? One could say "It's possible" but I feel that's naive. If the page is out there, there's the possibility that these things happen... And if I was a star who didn't want people I didn't know to be messaging me all the time, I wouldn't give them the opportunity.

  • Author
So a guy who lives in New Mexico who is an avid UK fan sends Hamga a message online trying to persuade him to come to UK. He has no affiliation with the university, Hamga or the NCAAs. How in the world could someone tell him he wasn't allowed to do that anymore? No freedom of speech?

Again with the freedom of speech? It's not an issue in relation to a voluntary organization. They aren't forced to be in the NCAA.

 

It's pathetic to try and do the job that the coaches are hired to do. Is it a problem at a few other places? Maybe. It's a real and well reported FACT involving the UK basketball program.

 

Think how much you hate spam email and pop ups. That's what UK fans are doing to recruits. You guys want to defend and deflect this? Good for you...

And if I was a star who didn't want people I didn't know to be messaging me all the time, I wouldn't give them the opportunity.

 

So it's the recruits fault??

  • Author
So it's the recruits fault??

For being interested in UK? That's how it would seem... :sssh:

Again with the freedom of speech? It's not an issue in relation to a voluntary organization. They aren't forced to be in the NCAA.

 

It's pathetic to try and do the job that the coaches are hired to do. Is it a problem at a few other places? Maybe. It's a real and well reported FACT involving the UK basketball program.

 

Think how much you hate spam email and pop ups. That's what UK fans are doing to recruits. You guys want to defend and deflect this? Good for you...

 

 

What can be done about it?

  • Author
What can be done about it?

The UK fans can stop and quit hurting the program. Other than that not much. As some one that is long considered a "UK hater" keep it up. Call a buddy. Tell a friend. It's really helping the program...

The UK fans can stop and quit hurting the program. Other than that not much. As some one that is long considered a "UK hater" keep it up. Call a buddy. Tell a friend. It's really helping the program...

 

According to several people in another place it's actually blackmail and it's really Florida fans doing it in disguise:lol:

Again with the spinning... Don't try to pick my message apart, you're just wasting your time...

 

I said I'm against it, but you don't quote that part. What you're calling me out with by quoting is just a personal thought of mine... "I'm a basketball star... People won't even leave me alone when I go check the mail, maybe I shouldn't make a myspace and get attention from thousands of people across the country?"

 

Maybe every player doesn't think like that, but that's what I would do... And I prefaced it with that.

  • Author
According to several people in another place it's actually blackmail and it's really Florida fans doing it in disguise:lol:

Of course it is. ;) Just not logical for this to really be UK fans going to great lengths to "help" the program... :lol:

Again with the freedom of speech? It's not an issue in relation to a voluntary organization. They aren't forced to be in the NCAA.

 

It's pathetic to try and do the job that the coaches are hired to do. Is it a problem at a few other places? Maybe. It's a real and well reported FACT involving the UK basketball program.

 

Think how much you hate spam email and pop ups. That's what UK fans are doing to recruits. You guys want to defend and deflect this? Good for you...

 

 

Is it not a freedom of speech issue? Do I not have the right to speak to whomever I choose and say whatever I like? I would never contact a recruit and don't support anyone who does, but you can't limit what people say.

  • Author
Do I not have the right to speak to whomever I choose and say whatever I like?

No...

No...

 

Unless it's assault or slander I think he has a point.

Of course it is. ;) Just not logical for this to really be UK fans going to great lengths to "help" the program... :lol:

 

I love UK basketball but it embarrasses me to think how idiotic a portion of the fan base is. Seriously, it takes a lot of common sense to come up with an excuse like this:rolleyes:

  • Author
Unless it's assault or slander I think he has a point.

When it comes to NCAA rules about recruits, speech is very limited...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.