May 14, 200719 yr It wasn't long ago the average booster was considered Joe Schmo. UK helped lead us out of that era. Here we go again. UK fans and boosters take a lot of pride in being the most "passionate". It's a double edge sword. Creating new rules with the NCAA is a direct result. Like I said. Keep it up. It makes for good debate... I don't know which one of the 3 to quote. Seriously, the NCAA has to adjust to the times. With the way the internet is today, their is no policing this type of behavior. If it bothers a recruit so much to receive these kinds of messages, get rid of the FaceBook or MySpace. It's an easy solution. It may not be fair to these kids that they can't participate in these types of networking sites, but that comes with the territory of being a high-profile recruit. The people doing the message sending can't be controlled, and the NCAA will never have the ability to enforce rules against schools for this kind of thing.
May 14, 200719 yr Sandy Bell has self reported the incident and is pleading with fans for this to stop... Can't post the link.
May 14, 200719 yr I think it's beyond sad to send any recruit a message on one of those sites. I can excuse minors but if you are an adult then you need to get a life and let coaches do the work.
May 14, 200719 yr Author I don't know which one of the 3 to quote. Seriously, the NCAA has to adjust to the times. With the way the internet is today, their is no policing this type of behavior. If it bothers a recruit so much to receive these kinds of messages, get rid of the FaceBook or MySpace. It's an easy solution. It may not be fair to these kids that they can't participate in these types of networking sites, but that comes with the territory of being a high-profile recruit. The people doing the message sending can't be controlled, and the NCAA will never have the ability to enforce rules against schools for this kind of thing. How long ago was it people were bashing OJ for not giving out his cell number to anyone?
May 14, 200719 yr Author Sandy Bell has self reported the incident and is pleading with fans for this to stop.... Good...
May 14, 200719 yr So my question is, if it's not UK fans sending the messages, who is it? It could be TheDuece. That is the core issue. You can't control who does it, nor do you know who does it.
May 14, 200719 yr Being on a "friends" list isn't the issue. Large numbers of messages are. The fans are not recruiters. They are fans. That means they don't try to recruit. Period... So they are not supposed to give these kids standing ovations or hold up signs encouraging them to attend UK when they come to KY for a HS basketball game?
May 14, 200719 yr How long ago was it people were bashing OJ for not giving out his cell number to anyone? That was about not giving his cellphone to the head coach that HE SAID he wanted to play for. That was the only thing he was getting ripped for in that debate. That is like you going to your boss and saying, hey I want to work for you but I will contact you when I need to talk to you. Much different scenario.
May 14, 200719 yr So they are not supposed to give these kids standing ovations or hold up signs encouraging them to attend UK when they come to KY for a HS basketball game? Exactly. It's virtually the same thing.
May 14, 200719 yr Author That was about not giving his cellphone to the head coach that HE SAID he wanted to play for. That was the only thing he was getting ripped for in that debate. That is like you going to your boss and saying, hey I want to work for you but I will contact you when I need to talk to you. Much different scenario. Wrong. He didn't give his number out because he didn't want to be bombarded with unwanted calls and messages. Very similar...
May 14, 200719 yr Wrong. He didn't give his number out because he didn't want to be bombarded with unwanted calls and messages. Very similar... The story I am referring to and MY ONLY VIEW on it, is when he had someone walk into Tim Floyd's office and say that OJ wanted to play there. Floyd asked for his number and was told that OJ would call him. OJ did call him and said he was coming there. Floyd asked for his cell phone number and OJ said he would call him. That is MY ONLY KNOWLEDGE of him not giving it out. I have zero problem with him not giving it out to any and all coaches. I think that is a wise move. But when you have committed and sent in a LOI, I think the head coach should expect a right to be able to contact you. And it changes at that point.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.