May 2, 200719 yr An academic study of NBA officiating found that white referees called fouls at a greater rate against black players than against white players, The New York Times reported in Wednesday's editions. The study by a University of Pennsylvania assistant professor and Cornell graduate student also found that black officials called fouls more frequently against white players than black, but noted that that tendency was not as pronounced. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/cs-070502nbarefs,1,4578536.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
May 2, 200719 yr And the professor probably received a huge grant to perform his "study". I think I may apply for one of those things. I say hogwash, BTW.
May 2, 200719 yr Are there more black players than white players on the court, in the NBA, most of the time....more white officials than black? EXACTLY
May 2, 200719 yr Author Are there more black players than white players on the court, in the NBA, most of the time...? EXACTLY That's what crossed my mind.
May 2, 200719 yr The study wasn't done on raw numbers. But the key finding was in regard to foul calls, saying "black players receive around 0.12-0.20 more fouls per 48 minutes played (an increase of 2{-4{ percent) when the number of white referees officiating a game increases from zero to three."
May 2, 200719 yr This "study" has been ripped apart al lday on sports radio stations acrossed the country. Its a joke.
May 2, 200719 yr Oh, I think it's crap, too. I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page of how the study was done.
May 2, 200719 yr Are there more black players than white players on the court, in the NBA, most of the time....more white officials than black? EXACTLY What a garbage article.:thumb:
May 2, 200719 yr Are there more black players than white players on the court, in the NBA, most of the time....more white officials than black? EXACTLY People sometimes ignore the obvious if it hinders the outcome of their useless study.
May 2, 200719 yr I can't believe, a study like this was thought of, much less conducted. I can think of much, much more tax dollars could go for.
May 2, 200719 yr Maybe they need to look at when officials are calling technicals rather than who they're calling them against. Some of them are pretty petty.
May 2, 200719 yr The majority of white players in the NBA are either point guards or power forwards -- neither of which are traditionally fouled as often as slashers and finishers. You could shoot holes in this thing all day -- bogus report. I love when stats are twisted around to create conspiracy theories where one clearly doesn't exist.
May 2, 200719 yr And the professor probably received a huge grant to perform his "study". I think I may apply for one of those things. I say hogwash, BTW. :thumb: :thumb: Lets see now, the number of Black players in the NBA far outnumber the amount of White players so doesn't this stand to reason that more fouls were called on Black players, Jeez, How did they ever come up with that . Look for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to march on the NBA HQ's or maybe they will become NBA referee's
May 2, 200719 yr You guys are driving me nuts. They compared fouls called on white and black players by white refs to fouls called on white and black players by black refs. It's a comparitive evaluation. Example: White ref crew calls 40 fouls in a game- 35 on white players and 5 on black players. Black ref crew calls 40 fouls in a game- 37 on white players and 3 on black players. Now, in raw numbers, the white players are getting boned pretty bad. But that's not the point- the point is that the white crew calls more fouls on black players and fewer on white players than the black crew. That's what the study found. So it doesn't matter if there are more white refs, and it doesn't matter if there are more black players, and it doesn't matter if players of different races tend to play different positions. The raw numbers aren't under examination.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.