Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region POY????

Featured Replies

Looks to be a 2-man race - Maile vs reigning champ Farris.

 

Maile .500 (36/72) 5 HRs 11 extra base hits 40 RBIs 22 runs

Farris .458(22/48) 7 HRs 11 extra base hits 24 RBIs 28 runs 13 Stolen Bases

 

Could we have a SOPH for the 2nd year in a row?

  • Replies 126
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to vote today, I would pick Maile. My reasons are simple.

 

One, CovCath has played a much tougher schedule at this point in the season, and thus Maile has faced much tougher pitchers, or a lack of easy teams that Boone County faced early in the season. His BA, RBI's, HR's etc. have been earned against some of the toughest teams not only in NKy, but against some outstanding Ohio teams as well as some quality ranked team from around the rest of the Commonwealth

 

Two, Maile is a much better catcher as he blocks balls in the dirt much better than Corry does, and IMO has a stronger arm. While Corrys arm is outstanding, Maile's is a cannon.

 

Maile is playing his natural position, but I really think Corry is not a catcher but rather a outfielder where he could use he speed to his advantage......

 

Again this is my vote at this point of the season.... It may well change as the season draws to an end.....

Both are good ball players and yes, Boone might play somewhat of an easier schedual but not all that drastic. What ballances that out is that Cov Cath does not sub in the games against softer competition because they only play a hand full of seniors, no juniors and a bunch of sophs so who are they going to sub. Therefore, those averages jump drastically.

 

I nominate Garrett Wagner (RYLE)

.472 BA, .693 on base %, leads NKY in triples, leads NKY in runs scored, 1 error.

 

Also Shane Taylor (CONNER) hitting over .500, usually a solid third baseman

Also, since we are nominating guys, don't neglect Boone's junior SS Mark Reed, now batting in the 3 hole since he and Cory switched spots in the order (which also explains Cory's RBI total being lower than it would otherwise be, he now being Boone's lead-off hitter). He plays solid defense and has been leading the Region in hitting since the first pitch of the year (well over .500), and has proven to be a clutch RBI guy, as well. Ask the umps who have been behind the plate how well he goes opposite field when the pitch dictates it, plus 4 dingers, including the game winner earlier against NewCath to the center field side of the RF bullpen at Champions Window Field.

  • Author
Both are good ball players and yes, Boone might play somewhat of an easier schedual but not all that drastic. What ballances that out is that Cov Cath does not sub in the games against softer competition because they only play a hand full of seniors, no juniors and a bunch of sophs so who are they going to sub. Therefore, those averages jump drastically.

 

I nominate Garrett Wagner (RYLE)

.472 BA, .693 on base %, leads NKY in triples, leads NKY in runs scored, 1 error.

 

Also Shane Taylor (CONNER) hitting over .500, usually a solid third baseman

 

Solid choices which I considered including the Reed kid from Boone. IMO none of them had the overall stats that Maile and/ Farris.

 

Secondarily, I don't buy the "they don't sub" argument. What difference would it make as to the grade of the starters? Doesn't CCH have about the same number of players on the roster as any other team? If so, wouldn't you think Krumps wants to get his subs as much action as possible? You don't have to agree with Maile but you are going to need to come up with a much stronger argument against him .

  • Author
Also, since we are nominating guys, don't neglect Boone's junior SS Mark Reed, now batting in the 3 hole since he and Cory switched spots in the order (which also explains Cory's RBI total being lower than it would otherwise be, he now being Boone's lead-off hitter). He plays solid defense and has been leading the Region in hitting since the first pitch of the year (well over .500), and has proven to be a clutch RBI guy, as well. Ask the umps who have been behind the plate how well he goes opposite field when the pitch dictates it, plus 4 dingers, including the game winner earlier against NewCath to the center field side of the RF bullpen at Champions Window Field.

 

Very strong season - very strong player - comes up short compared to the other 2 IMO.

Solid choices which I considered including the Reed kid from Boone. IMO none of them had the overall stats that Maile and/ Farris.

 

Secondarily, I don't buy the "they don't sub" argument. What difference would it make as to the grade of the starters? Doesn't CCH have about the same number of players on the roster as any other team? If so, wouldn't you think Krumps wants to get his subs as much action as possible? You don't have to agree with Maile but you are going to need to come up with a much stronger argument against him .

 

Just going by what I saw. I watched the 25 - 0 East Ridge game at the Tates Creek tourney and the same guys that started, finished the game. Not saying that Cov Cath ran up the score or intentionally padded stats, but didn't see any subs.

Ryle subs when they get up 7 or 8 runs because they have so many seniors and the juniors aren't getting any JV games in so Roesel has to get them in whenever possible. Thus, averages are lower, but for the greater good of the program next year.

Besides, you are comparing two catchers. Middle infielders are the lifeblood of baseball. Anyone can catch a ball when the guy 60 feet away is trying to throw it to you. When you have to field balls 15 feet to your right or left and still make a good throw off ballance, that takes a bit more effort. I know the old catcher won't agree with this, but that's my take on it. LOL

What about the kid from Highlands, Allen I think is the name??? From what I've seen he's had a terrific year at the plate AND on the mound. Not to take anything away from any of the other guys mentioned of course....I'd take 'em all. ;)

Just going by what I saw. I watched the 25 - 0 East Ridge game at the Tates Creek tourney and the same guys that started, finished the game. Not saying that Cov Cath ran up the score or intentionally padded stats, but didn't see any subs.

 

You sure about that? I heard first hand from players about most of the pitchers playing positions in the field. And I am positive that after they were up 12 (3 or 4 innings) Maile was out and Curtin was behind the plate.

I'd take Maile simply because Maile has done impressive things against better competition. Both are solid, but I'd give Maile the slight advantage at this point.

 

One thing to think about as well, is Maile is younger than Farris but still doing the same, as well as better things both offensively and defensively.

I'd take Maile simply because Maile has done impressive things against better competition. Both are solid, but I'd give Maile the slight advantage at this point.

 

One thing to think about as well, is Maile is younger than Farris but still doing the same, as well as better things both offensively and defensively.

 

I stated my opinion in a thread about 2 months ago, and that was that Maile was a step above everyone else in the ninth region. I had probably 15 people tell me I was being too generous. So far, I was pretty accurate... only Farris is keeping up with him.

 

I still stand behind the fact that he WILL be player of the year probably the next three years, and all others mentioned in this thread are good players, but not at the same level as Maile (and Farris).

 

Look at the stats,

 

Lastly, for the person that said that Catching is so much easier than playing shortstop (I can't believe I am even wasting my time commenting here)... first off, I don't even think that Farris is catching for Boone. He started out the season in Centerfield, and I have not heard otherwise. Even if he was catching, try catching 7 games in a eight day stretch and still have enough drive in your legs to hit the ball 400 feet. Ain't no Shortstops out there hitting them with that kind of drive. Maybe the shortstops should do some squats to strengthen those legs up.

 

Regardless, saying that playing shortstop is strenuos and catching is easy has been playing in too many softball beer leagues. :irked: :irked:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.