Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cell phones and driving shouldn't mix.

Featured Replies

I'm not buying. Sorry.

 

I talk on my bluetooth and pay attention to the road and I find it no different then talking to someone in the car or listening to a novel on CD which I do quite a bit.

  • Replies 43
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it depends on the person. The bigger problem is people texting each other while driving imo.

I am guilty of that from time to time but I have gotten to the point where I don't have to look to reply, type, and send the message. I talk on speaker phone a lot when I am driving but even when I don't I focus on the road.

I am guilty of that from time to time but I have gotten to the point where I don't have to look to reply, type, and send the message. I talk on speaker phone a lot when I am driving but even when I don't I focus on the road.

I do it sometimes as well and I think it's 20 times worse than just talking on the phone.

Here you go.

 

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/DyeHard/story?id=889064&page=1

 

This part is towards the bottom of the first page.

 

 

 

According to this article it isn't such a bad arguement.

Sorry, but it still is. Just because a handful of people can't handle talking on a cell and driving doesn't mean the rest of us can't. I've never had a problem; it's just not hard to do. Why is it that the whiny few in this country always get so much media play?

From a AAA funded study - Distractions that cause serious accidents:

 

1. Outside vehicle distractions -- 29.4 percent

2. Radio or CD player -- 11.4 percent

3. Talking in car -- 10.9 percent

4. Climate adjusting -- 2.8 percent

5. Eating and drinking -- 1.7 percent

6. Cell phone use -- 1.5 percent

 

From The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center:

top_ten_driver_distractions.gif

Talking on the cellphone is okay, so long as the person is at least TRYING to pay attention to the road -- not everyone does in that case.

 

The WORST thing in the world is people talking on cellphones in a fast-food drive through. This is one of the most rude and disrespectful things somebody can do, and it's just plain stupid because it wastes everybody's time.

From a AAA funded study - Distractions that cause serious accidents:

 

1. Outside vehicle distractions -- 29.4 percent

2. Radio or CD player -- 11.4 percent

3. Talking in car -- 10.9 percent

4. Climate adjusting -- 2.8 percent

5. Eating and drinking -- 1.7 percent

6. Cell phone use -- 1.5 percent

 

From The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center:

What time frame is this study?

I don't think cell phones cause most accidents, I think people are in too big of a rush! And you can always use the 10 percent rule in everything. Some people just can not drive at all, then you give them a cell phone and watch out!!

I do not answer my phone on the interstate or in heavy traffic,but if I am on a back road with light or no traffic, I will answer if it rings, but won't make any calls.

Digging up an 11 year old thread. Haha Interesting reading some of the replies from that long ago.

From a AAA funded study - Distractions that cause serious accidents:

 

1. Outside vehicle distractions -- 29.4 percent

2. Radio or CD player -- 11.4 percent

3. Talking in car -- 10.9 percent

4. Climate adjusting -- 2.8 percent

5. Eating and drinking -- 1.7 percent

6. Cell phone use -- 1.5 percent

 

From The University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center:

 

Makes you wonder what the 25.6% of other distractions were?:o

Some old names in here. Goodness.

 

I noticed that as well. I'd bet the statistics from AAA have changed drastically.

 

The thing with these stats is I'm not sure exactly where they're getting them from. It's often hard to prove what the cause of an accident was other than speeding, inattention, vehicle not under proper control etc. Those are all very generic terms, when it comes to what's on a police report that contributed to a traffic collision.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.