Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

Ockerman is in the Boone County school system that currently has 3 high schools. There are 5 middle schools in the system.

 

Conner Middle attend Conner High

Camr Ernst attend Boone County High School, Ryle and Conner

Gray Middle attend Ryle

Ockerman Middle attend Ryle and Boone

RA Jones Middle attend Boone and Ryle

 

5 middle schools feeding 3 high schools

 

So it is obvious that Boone County school system can not have a 1 middle school "feed" 1 high school.

You could not get proper enrollements at each high school. You could not

have 2 feeding 1...2 feeding 1....1 feeding 1. School building size could not support the large numbers of students at 2 schools and small a number of students at one school.

 

Thanks, I have a better understanding of what people are talking about now.

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly right...they could get burned by getting what they wished for.

 

What I think they wished for was to minimize the effects of schools that attempt to persuade certain athletes to attend certain schools. Although I am sure it happens on both sides, obviously the majority of delegates believe it occurs more frequently with the privates.I know a lot of posters believe that "persuasion" of 8th graders on where to attend high school is minimal. Its not minimal if it is happening to the school you support. At a lot of schools, losing a couple of above-average athletes can dramatically change a basketball or football program over the course of 4 years. In the future, I don't see the ones that have "persuaded" 8th graders to enroll in a certain high school now scouting out 6th graders to decide which ones they should attempt to persuade to attend the right school in the 7th grade. I would also assume that Southern Indiana will not be in the defined feeder pattern of any Jefferson County school, so future state championships will only be played with kids that live in Kentucky. Imagine that.

What I think they wished for was to minimize the effects of schools that attempt to persuade certain athletes to attend certain schools. Although I am sure it happens on both sides, obviously the majority of delegates believe it occurs more frequently with the privates.I know a lot of posters believe that "persuasion" of 8th graders on where to attend high school is minimal. Its not minimal if it is happening to the school you support. At a lot of schools, losing a couple of above-average athletes can dramatically change a basketball or football program over the course of 4 years. In the future, I don't see the ones that have "persuaded" 8th graders to enroll in a certain high school now scouting out 6th graders to decide which ones they should attempt to persuade to attend the right school in the 7th grade. I would also assume that Southern Indiana will not be in the defined feeder pattern of any Jefferson County school, so future state championships will only be played with kids that live in Kentucky. Imagine that.

Actually it just means that these Indiana kids will be going to school in the 'Ville two years earlier....and then if they decide to not go to one of Louisville's private schools...they will be free to go to their Indiana public school....sweet, IMO.

Ockerman is in the Boone County school system that currently has 3 high schools. There are 5 middle schools in the system.

 

Conner Middle attend Conner High

Camp Ernst Middle attend Boone County High School, Ryle and Conner

Gray Middle attend Ryle

Ockerman Middle attend Ryle and Boone

RA Jones Middle attend Boone and Ryle

 

5 middle schools feeding 3 high schools

 

So it is obvious that Boone County school system can not have a 1 middle school "feed" 1 high school.

You could not get proper enrollements at each high school. You could not

have 2 feeding 1...2 feeding 1....1 feeding 1. School building size could not support the large numbers of students at 2 schools and small a number of students at one school.

 

Which is exactly why I said one or two of the Boone County high schools could end up being 6A and one or two others could end up being 4A or 5A.

Which is exactly why I said one or two of the Boone County high schools could end up being 6A and one or two others could end up being 4A or 5A.

 

I do understand what you are saying but I do not think it will work out that way.But I could be wrong, would not be the first time.

 

About 4500 high school students enrolled in the 3 high schools.

Roughly 1500 in each high school, each one is already well over capacity.

Conner uses 6 trailers for overcrowding issues and Boone is in a similar situation, not sure about Ryle. I think they are using them as well. They would not be able to increase enrollment at 1 or 2 schools and decrease it in another, it would make that school under capacity and the other 2 would be in an even worse situation than they are currently faced with.

 

I thought they would use a "traditional feeder school pattern" to help in forming the new feeder school districts for each high school. I think that is part of the language of the proposal I remember.

In Fayette co., af far as I know and remember, the high school you go to is not determined by the middle school. It is determined by your residednce within a High School District line. The public middle schools have district lines, as do the high schools. Most kids who go to Middle school A, will go to a corresponding high school, due to the way the districts are drawn, but it is not always that case. Because of that fact, and other things my friends and I talked about last night, we came up with some questions we felt would be very important to answer with this situation.

 

If all high schools will be made to identify thier feeder schools for Prop. 2, what kind of stipulations will be placed on schools? I see this Proposal as a way to limit the area which schools can draw students(athletes) from. Many are upset that some schools have students(athletes) from what they consider to be "out of district" or out of the area. I am sure that because many feel this way, some type of stipulation will be placed on who the High schools could determine to be a feeder to them.

 

In Lexington, you have 5 public high schools, Lexington Catholic, Lexington Christian, and Sayre School. Each of the public schools has district boundaries, which may be crossed to enter a magnet program, and when I was in school 10 years ago, you could cross those bondaries to join one of the ROTC programs if not offered at your schoool. I assume you still can. You can attend Lexington Catholic if you live in the Diosece of Lexington-which covers not only the surrounding counties, but also stretches to Eastern and Southern Ky, all the way to the Tennessee border. I am not currently aware of any bondaries that Lexington Christian or Sayre have.

 

When the decision is made to determine your feeders, will or can the schools in Fayette co. (both public and private) list schools that they currently get students from-both public and private, or will they be limited? Will the public high schools be forced to only list public middle schools, and private schools only private middle schools? I don't know if this scenario will happen, but I'm sure that some restriction will be placed on schools as far as who they can pick for feeders. If restrictions like this were put in place, they would have an effect on the three large metropolitan areas of the state more than the rest of the state IMO.

 

If the restrictions that I see coming are put in place, I want to see if the restrictions are imposed fairly. If some schools are not allowed to have some current natural feeder schools(which would moreso apply to private and open enrollment public schools), then why not just make prop 2 based on mileage instead? If restrictions are put in place, who exactly will decide- Bof Ed., Bo of Control, KHSAA delegate vote? It's the main thing I want to know.

Wasn't there a separate proposal to limit participation in sports to students who reside in Kentucky? Does anyone know the status of that proposal?

 

I'm interested because my nephew lives in S. Indiana. He goes to catholic school now (6th grade). His family has always planned for him to attend St. X.

Wasn't there a separate proposal to limit participation in sports to students who reside in Kentucky? Does anyone know the status of that proposal?

 

I'm interested because my nephew lives in S. Indiana. He goes to catholic school now (6th grade). His family has always planned for him to attend St. X.

I believe that proposal was tabled while the KHSAA lawyers looked into the legality of it. Not sure any action was taken on it since but I don't believe it got passed on to the BOE.

I do understand what you are saying but I do not think it will work out that way.But I could be wrong, would not be the first time.

 

I agree it probably won't work out that way because Prop 2 is designed to punish private and independent school systems that have their act together. Prop 2 will help (a little) to dumb those schools down to the level of most public schools which grossly underachieve on the football field.

I agree it probably won't work out that way because Prop 2 is designed to punish private and independent school systems that have their act together. Prop 2 will help (a little) to dumb those schools down to the level of most public schools which grossly underachieve on the football field.

But might help those other sports that don't rely on quantity of players but quality of players in smaller numbers like a golf team, a basketball squad or tennis program.

 

Presently, there are spots around the state that if you want a REALISTIC chance to participate in a state tournament as a team, you have one or MAYBE two schools to attend in that region. ST. X in golf jumps out immediately. And while the coach I hear is excellent, we all know that golf players are made OUTSIDE of the HS season.

 

Players can feel that they can stay at their school and have a chance together instead of the perception that players will be pooling at one school. And they don't want to be left out.

 

We all know that whether it is true or not, the talk is said that if you want to go to state in NKY in football, your best chance is to transfer to Highlands, to Cov Cath to Beechwood, to NCC. And so that PERCEPTION becomes a REALITY and people begin to move.

Wasn't there a separate proposal to limit participation in sports to students who reside in Kentucky? Does anyone know the status of that proposal?

 

I'm interested because my nephew lives in S. Indiana. He goes to catholic school now (6th grade). His family has always planned for him to attend St. X.

THat proposal went away with the adoption of Proposal 2 since it created a contradiction. Unless this student's middle school is in the Diocese of Louisville when this rule is fully implemented, a Southern indiana kid appears to be out of luck going to X or T. But, interestingly, they could play for Holy Cross since they are less than 300 kids and most of Southern Indiana is within 30 miles.

 

This particular student, from what I can tell, won't be effected as it doesn't go into effect until the 7th grade class of 2008-2009, but students in like situations in the future will have to 1) enter a Diocese of Louisville middle school in grade 7 or 2) choose another school other than any non-public with more than 300 students.

^ They could still go to X or T but would have to sit out some time during their Freshman year.

ST. X in golf jumps out immediately. And while the coach I hear is excellent, we all know that golf players are made OUTSIDE of the HS season.

 

Better than "excellent." He was recently named as the best coach in Kentucky over the past 75 years by Scholastic Coach & Athletic Director magazine.

 

Coach Donlon

 

With a Coach with those types of credentials, of course better athletes in that sport are going to gravitate towards the school so they can learn from the best.

The KHSAA would try to cure cancer with Anthrax...what a joke. :rolleyes:

But might help those other sports that don't rely on quantity of players but quality of players in smaller numbers like a golf team, a basketball squad or tennis program.

 

Presently, there are spots around the state that if you want a REALISTIC chance to participate in a state tournament as a team, you have one or MAYBE two schools to attend in that region. ST. X in golf jumps out immediately. And while the coach I hear is excellent, we all know that golf players are made OUTSIDE of the HS season.

 

Players can feel that they can stay at their school and have a chance together instead of the perception that players will be pooling at one school. And they don't want to be left out.

 

We all know that whether it is true or not, the talk is said that if you want to go to state in NKY in football, your best chance is to transfer to Highlands, to Cov Cath to Beechwood, to NCC. And so that PERCEPTION becomes a REALITY and people begin to move.

 

You know a lot of kids also move to those school you mentioned above for an outstanding education. Wanna bet that all four of those schools have a better than Commonwealth average in College admission, ACT/SAT scores etc....the talk is said that if you want a great education, your best chance is to transfer to Highlands, to Cov Cath/NDA to Beechwood, to NCC. And so that PERCEPTION becomes a REALITY and people begin to move.

 

Remember sports are for fun, an education lasts a lifetime......

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.