Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

For Hearsay and Cometscoach, I agree and support your position. When the same arguments are applied to some schools having 7th and 8th graders playing non-contact sports programs, the position of some (NOT MINE) has been that they shouldn't be fielding teams then if they cannot get players.

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those who are curious. The distance from the front steps of Bethlehem to the center of these cities (as the crow flies) are as follows:

 

Radcliff - 26 miles

E-town - 24 miles

Lebanon -20 miles

Hodgenville -23 miles

 

Looks like it was certainly helpful to Bethlehem when the proposal was changed from 20 to 30 miles. I wonder who made that suggestion.

  • Author
For those who are curious. The distance from the front steps of Bethlehem to the center of these cities (as the crow flies) are as follows:

 

Radcliff - 26 miles

E-town - 24 miles

Lebanon -20 miles

Hodgenville -23 miles

 

Looks like it was certainly helpful to Bethlehem when the proposal was changed from 20 to 30 miles. I wonder who made that suggestion.

 

It came out of the management committee of the Board of Education. The management committee includes Rhodes, Webb, Gibbons, Baird, and Hubbard.

OK let's throw another whole wrench into the gears. My head is spinning hearing about feeder school lists as far as the private schools are concerned so lets talk about public schools. As has been brought up ad nauseum Jefferson County (and yes LBBC I know that Jefferson County doesn't reflect the whole state;) ) has open enrollment for high schools. An 8th grader in Jefferson County can apply to attend the high school of his/her choice regardless of where they live. Will the schools in Jefferson County now have to list feeder schools OR will they be allowed to draw from all middle schools in the county? Also in Jefferson County all but a few schools have a resides district, that is an area that if a student doesn't apply for admission to another school it is the school he/she is assigned to. Male, Manual and I believe Butler do not have resides districts. Manual in particular takes students county wide with no preference as to the middle school they attend. Will Manual now have a list of middle schools that are athletic feeders for them or will they be allowed to use freshmen from any middle school in the JCPS system? Will the public high schools in Jefferson County that have resides districts now only be able to use freshman athletes that come from within their resides district or will they still be able to use any student that attended a JCPS middle school? If the answer to these is that the public schools will be able to only use students within their resides district or that a school like Manual will now have certain schools that are feeders then it appears to be a case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. If on the other hand they continue to be able to use students system wide then that forces the question will the private schools be able to use students from anywhere from within their system (eg the Archdiocese of Louisville). I know that I am biased BUT if Jefferson County schools are allowed to use any freshman student that comes from their system then how is it fair and equibitle to say that private schools can't? Just more potential fodder for the lawyers if you ask me.

 

By the time all this gets done the KHSAA will have to cancel all of their state championships because they will have spent all of their money on attorneys.

OK let's throw another whole wrench into the gears. My head is spinning hearing about feeder school lists as far as the private schools are concerned so lets talk about public schools. As has been brought up ad nauseum Jefferson County (and yes LBBC I know that Jefferson County doesn't reflect the whole state) has open enrollment for high schools. An 8th grader in Jefferson County can apply to attend the high school of his/her choice regardless of where they live. Will the schools in Jefferson County now have to list feeder schools OR will they be allowed to draw from all middle schools in the county? Also in Jefferson County all but a few schools have a resides district, that is an area that if a student doesn't apply for admission to another school it is the school he/she is assigned to. Male, Manual and I believe Butler do not have resides districts. Manual in particular takes students county wide with no preference as to the middle school they attend. Will Manual now have a list of middle schools that are athletic feeders for them or will they be allowed to use frehaman from any middle school in the JCPS system? Will the public high schools in Jefferson County that have resides districts now only be able to use freshman athletes that come from within their resides district or will they still be able to use any student that attended a JCPS middle school? If the answer to these is that the public schools will be able to only use students within their resides district or that a school like Manual will now have certain schools that are feeders then it appears to be a case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. If on the other hand they continue to be able to use students system wide then that forces the question will the private schools be able to use students from anywhere from within their system (eg the Archdiocese of Louisville). I know that I am biased BUT if Jefferson County schools are allowed to use any freshman student that comes from their system then how is it fair and equibitle to say that private schools can't? Just more potential fodder for the lawyers if you ask me.

 

By the time all this gets done the KHSAA will have to cancel all of their state championships because they will have spent all of their money on attorneys.

My first instinct would be to say MS's within 30 miles or traditional middle schools that feed into that school. But that is a first instinct and would want to hear the pro and con argument before I cement that view.

 

This will also affect Kenton County as they are open enrollment with 3 HS's and I don't know how many MS's.

 

On the bolded, I appreciate the comment and :D .:thumb:

 

And on the last statement, I think this is a realistic problem. Are we trying to create a system that will please everyone that will actually perturb everyone and paralyze the KHSAA in a wave of legal actions.

 

Is it not simpler to just say two classes, open enrollment in one, closed enrollment in the other instead of trying to create all of these rules and regulations to oversee scenarios when you know you cannot regulate ALL scenarios?

  • Author
OK let's throw another whole wrench into the gears. My head is spinning hearing about feeder school lists as far as the private schools are concerned so lets talk about public schools. As has been brought up ad nauseum Jefferson County (and yes LBBC I know that Jefferson County doesn't reflect the whole state) has open enrollment for high schools. An 8th grader in Jefferson County can apply to attend the high school of his/her choice regardless of where they live. Will the schools in Jefferson County now have to list feeder schools OR will they be allowed to draw from all middle schools in the county? Also in Jefferson County all but a few schools have a resides district, that is an area that if a student doesn't apply for admission to another school it is the school he/she is assigned to. Male, Manual and I believe Butler do not have resides districts. Manual in particular takes students county wide with no preference as to the middle school they attend. Will Manual now have a list of middle schools that are athletic feeders for them or will they be allowed to use frehaman from any middle school in the JCPS system? Will the public high schools in Jefferson County that have resides districts now only be able to use freshman athletes that come from within their resides district or will they still be able to use any student that attended a JCPS middle school? If the answer to these is that the public schools will be able to only use students within their resides district or that a school like Manual will now have certain schools that are feeders then it appears to be a case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face. If on the other hand they continue to be able to use students system wide then that forces the question will the private schools be able to use students from anywhere from within their system (eg the Archdiocese of Louisville). I know that I am biased BUT if Jefferson County schools are allowed to use any freshman student that comes from their system then how is it fair and equibitle to say that private schools can't? Just more potential fodder for the lawyers if you ask me.

 

By the time all this gets done the KHSAA will have to cancel all of their state championships because they will have spent all of their money on attorneys.

 

We just don't know the answer to this. I would THINK that the KHSAA will require all public schools, including Male, Butler, and Manual to give them a "resides" list of schools for purposes of athletics. Again, however, this is a "comity" agreement that JCPS has, and I've already said I'm unsure how they will treat that. I think I also retreated from my earlier statement that private schools like Trinity, St. X, Holy Cross, Desales, Christian Academy, and KCD will be limited to a non-"crossover" list of private middle schools as feeder. It may very well be that the KHSAA allows "crossover." Elsewise, where in the heck would Christian Academy and KCD draw their kids from? There are very few non-Archdiocese private middle schools.

We just don't know the answer to this. I would THINK that the KHSAA will require all public schools, including Male, Butler, and Manual to give them a "resides" list of schools for purposes of athletics. Again, however, this is a "comity" agreement that JCPS has, and I've already said I'm unsure how they will treat that. I think I also retreated from my earlier statement that private schools like Trinity, St. X, Holy Cross, Desales, Christian Academy, and KCD will be limited to a non-"crossover" list of private middle schools as feeder. It may very well be that the KHSAA allows "crossover." Elsewise, where in the heck would Christian Academy and KCD draw their kids from? There are very few non-Archdiocese private middle schools.

Great, great question. Add Calvary Christian and Lexington Christian into that mix.

 

And ONE MORE. Homeschooled kid through 8th grade? How are they treated?

My first instinct would be to say MS's within 30 miles or traditional middle schools that feed into that school. But that is a first instinct and would want to hear the pro and con argument before I cement that view.

 

This will also affect Kenton County as they are open enrollment with 3 HS's and I don't know how many MS's.

 

On the bolded, I appreciate the comment and :D .:thumb:

I could be wrong but I thought the whole 30 mile radius thing was only applied to small private school with enrollments less then 300 in so much as any student that lives within 30 miles of a small private school can attend ANY middle school and still be eligible as as a freshman at those schools. The 30 mile radius had no bearing on public schools or large private schools or their feeder patterns.

I have got to say that schools like Christian Academy and KCD (if they are big enough, I'm not sure of their enrollment) would only be able to use freshmen that come through their school since they are not part of any school system per se.

 

Also homeschoolers would be ineligible IMVHO the way this rule is written.

I could be wrong but I thought the whole 30 mile radius thing was only applied to small private school with enrollments less then 300 in so much as any student that lives within 30 miles of a small private school can attend ANY middle school and still be eligible as as a freshman at those schools. The 30 mile radius had no bearing on public schools or large private schools or their feeder patterns.

Thanks for the information, I would assume that every public school would have to make a list to their board of education on what schools traditionally feed into their school. Local board of educations would decide any disagreements between the schools. The local BOE's would submit the list to the KHSAA.

 

I would assume that process would be how it should happen.

Great, great question. Add Calvary Christian and Lexington Christian into that mix.

 

And ONE MORE. Homeschooled kid through 8th grade? How are they treated?

 

Don't know about Calvary Christian, but Lexington Christian starts at 6th grade and goes through High School. Seems it could be assumed they are their only feeder school to the HS level. You don't go to middle school there, you can't play as a freshman.

Don't know about Calvary Christian, but Lexington Christian starts at 6th grade and goes through High School. Seems it could be assumed they are their only feeder school to the HS level. You don't go to middle school there, you can't play as a freshman.

Thank you for the information.

 

I wonder about a small Christian (non-Catholic) MS in neighboring counties with no Christian (non-Catholic) HS in the county. Could they be allowed to be counted as a feeder school?

I have a lot of racing/random thoughts on this but one of the first issues that comes to mind for me is right in Boone County where half the kids from Ockerman Middle School go to Ryle and the other half go to Boone. I wonder what the school system will do with Ockerman (make it a Boone or Ryle school). Or, if the powers that be will make it a Longbranch (new school) feeder school.

 

I wonder how much thought went into this in places like Boone County.

 

Is RA Jones still around and if so, who do they feed??

Is RA Jones still around and if so, who do they feed??

 

 

RA is still around. I'm pretty sure they feed into Boone County High.

 

RA Jones Middle School

A lot of posters have made excellent points and raised interesting and hard-to-answer questions that I am sure were not raised prior to passage. Perhaps in the future, KHSAA should run their ideas thru BGP before passing far-reaching proposals like this. Would have saved them a lot of headaches and $$ IMO. Post the proposal on BGP and let members have at it for awhile. Then again, I'm sure they think they already have ALL the answers!

 

:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.