Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

I haven't seen anything in writing, but I recall something about the rule's prospective application not applying to those currently in the 7th or 8th grades. No notice, you see.

Understand that some sort of grandfather rule will come into play but there will be other athletes just like my daughter playing in the fringe sports and sometimes in the major sports that will fall into this situation.

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
One of the things that is getting lost in this debate is that we are actually addressing two different arms of the KHSAA. The HS's are the ones that are the driving force behind these proposals while the enforcing comes from the KHSAA headquarters.

 

I believe most posters and people see this as the same group. But it is not.

 

Prop 20 came from the public HS's and NOT the KHSAA HQ's that enforce the rules and do the investigation. And those that are trying to determine the eligibility of players are NOT the ones who came up with Prop 20 and Prop 2.

 

You raise a very interesting question with the "make a case" comment. Should the KHSAA be in the business of investigating like police would have to in making a case? Let me phrase that better, is that where the KHSAA should be sending their time and resources ($$$) in having a team of private investigators?

 

What does that say about the way our HS athletics system is setup if the governing body has to become like police investigators? Does it say the system is NOT WORKING?

 

The query is irrelevant, LBBC. Sports is big money. Money makes people do crazy things and act immorally. You can't change people's behavior. You CAN punish it. Just like the law. Sometimes effective enforcement is a deterrent to continued bad behavior.

 

So yes, the $$$ and resources of the KHSAA should be spent investigating like a police force. It is better spent that way than on defending lawsuits and paying for transfer rule hearings.

You raise a very interesting question with the "make a case" comment. Should the KHSAA be in the business of investigating like police would have to in making a case? Let me phrase that better, is that where the KHSAA should be sending their time and resources ($$$) in having a team of private investigators?

 

Absolutely!!!

 

After all, the primary complaint is alleged illegal recruiting by the evil private schools.

 

It would be a pretty refreshing if a governmental agency would actually address the root of the problem for once...

I don't dissagree with you in saying your example could raise a problem. But this is somewhere around .01% of the students who could fall into this problem. Maybe like one or two players a year a best. No rule is going to be perfect but if we can make a rule of keeping the kids in the county that will make a simple rule and make 99.99% happy I think it sounds ok to me.

 

I agree that the example I gave represents a very low percentage of the population, but I bet that we could find out the exact percentage through research, and we both probably agree that there are not enough that fall into this category to make it a problem. I am wondering how many kids fall into the category to make prop 2 necessary. I'm sure that we could find out the percentage of kids that have moved from one school system to another, and find out the percentage of all students. I'm curious to know what it would be. Is it enough to say that it is a problem that needs to be fixed with an idea like prop. 2? Is it a problem based on our perceptions? Is it a problem becuse it seems the X% happen to be kids that are good athletes?

ladiesbballcoach, you are right prop 2 comes into effect if you are planning to attend a private jh then a public hs, or, a public jh then a private hs. you must switch school districts before the student/athlete enters the 7th grade.

 

Bylaw 6 comes into effect if you are planning to attend a private jh then a different private hs, or, a public jh then a different public hs. You must must switch school district before the student/athlete enters the 9th grade.

I did not realize that the KHSAA had so much power over middle schools and middle school sports. Allegations of recruiting will now be rampant not only about private high schools but now between public high schools and public middle schools. The accusations will really be flying. Very interesting.

 

I for one can appreciate all the forethought that went into this proposal.:rolleyes:

I agree that the example I gave represents a very low percentage of the population, but I bet that we could find out the exact percentage through research, and we both probably agree that there are not enough that fall into this category to make it a problem. I am wondering how many kids fall into the category to make prop 2 necessary. I'm sure that we could find out the percentage of kids that have moved from one school system to another, and find out the percentage of all students. I'm curious to know what it would be. Is it enough to say that it is a problem that needs to be fixed with an idea like prop. 2? Is it a problem based on our perceptions? Is it a problem becuse it seems the X% happen to be kids that are good athletes?

 

We are getting awfully statistic here :D

 

If we need to make confidence intervals luckily I know how to do them :laugh:

  • Author

Let me toss this out there:

 

The BOE will be forming a 7-member Committee to investigate the internal workings of the KHSAA and to make findings. Presumably, that committee will have every power and resource at their disposal to make their investigation, subpoena power, document review, etc.

 

What SPECIFICALLY would you investigate? How would you APPROACH the investigation? What PROBLEMS does the KHSAA have that need to be addressed?

We are getting awfully statistic here :D

 

If we need to make confidence intervals luckily I know how to do them :laugh:

 

:lol: I never was good at math, but throwing out stats makes me seem smart.

I think that if this does eventually go through, the door opens for more allegations of recruiting (from or agianst either side). So if this is in effect next year, and stud 6th grade basketball player attends Jessie Clark Middle school in Lexington, and then enrolls in Mary Queen, the private feeder school to Lexington Catholic, you'd be a fool to think that the allegations of recruiting would go away. I'd say that the situation would be worse, and just as we have both wondered, would open up the KHSAA to oversee Middle and Jr. High school sports.

 

BTW, if supposed recruiting goes on at the Middle school level, who handles the complaints? Is it the local school board?

 

I would say that you are right. The allegations of recruiting will still be there, but harder to notice. I know for a fact that players are recruited starting in junior high school, particularly for basketball, in-fact most players that I have noticed in North-Eastern Kentucky switch schools in 7th grade not 9th grade.

 

Even with Prop 2 it is going to be very hard to prove recruiting violations. If a varsity coach comes to you and says, "I want your son to play football at my high school", and you say OK. Who is going to provide testimony that a recruiting violation occurred? The coach who got a stud athlete, or the parent who got their stud son a good football team, neither. Who else is there to testify?

 

That is why I said what I said in my previous post. Prop 2 only changes what year your child has to change schools, instead of 9th grade your student/athlete has to change in 7th grade. Same thing, just two years earlier. So now if a school wants to recruit they only have to attend 5th and 6th grade games instead of 7th and 8th grade game.

:lol: I never was good at math, but throwing out stats makes me seem smart.

 

(p1-p2)+or-2.58 *square root of (p1q1/n1 + p2q2/n2) will get you a 99% confidence interval just need some numbers to go with it :lol:

How about a new twist. What about junior high schools that do not offer a specific sport. For instance a small private school does not offer junior high football so all their players play for a public school team in junior high while attending the private school. Now this same private school does offer high school football. So when these players are in 9th grade playing for this private school do they have to sit out a year? or not? They did not play in the appropriate feeder program, because it was not offered and their is not a private school team so they have to play for a public school.

 

Just playing devils advocate. But this is possible in Eastern Kentucky.

(p1-p2)+or-2.58 *square root of (p1q1/n1 + p2q2/n2) will get you a 99% confidence interval just need some numbers to go with it :lol:

 

 

Stop it, your making my head hurt.:D

Let me toss this out there:

 

The BOE will be forming a 7-member Committee to investigate the internal workings of the KHSAA and to make findings. Presumably, that committee will have every power and resource at their disposal to make their investigation, subpoena power, document review, etc.

 

What SPECIFICALLY would you investigate? How would you APPROACH the investigation? What PROBLEMS does the KHSAA have that need to be addressed?

 

How about investigating why the KHSAA approves a rule that is counter to their mission as stated on their own letterhead - PARTICIPATION.

 

Just a start.

How about investigating why the KHSAA approves a rule that is counter to their mission as stated on their own letterhead - PARTICIPATION.

 

Just a start.

 

Accurate first post.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.