Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

So what middle schools will be feeders for Manual?

 

Someone else here posted that ALL schools will have a list of feeder middle schools, which ones will be Manual's?

 

I have no idea on Manual so I'm not really saying anything for them.

 

But if the KHSAA is trying to put a Middle School plan in this why can't the kids be given the option to go to any high school they want too if there is no district bound in the county ONLY in the same county?

 

Would that not work? I know in Fayette County certain Middle Schools go to certain High Schools. But every now and then odd things happen. Could this not work of making a rule to keep the kids in the County from Middle School to High School for Public and Private?

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a nightmare, with unintended punative consequences.

 

Who, just who, was thinking of the kids?

 

Who has been thinking of what is fair for the kids since the beginning?

 

My answer is NO ONE!

 

The post by one poster alleging the the private high schools owed some sort of apology for their success, and should have improved their image is pure BUNK!

 

What would you like us to improve-image wise I mean?

 

There are going to be so many situations that arise from this that it won't be a stretch for the opponents of this proposal to find a case to litigate.

 

Whether litigation successfully overturns the proposal or not remains to be seen, but the stage is set for years of multiple, nasty cases agaisnt the KHSAA/BOE, IMO.

 

I wonder who's going to be investigating allegations of misdeed?

 

I'm really interested to see what they do about defining the feeder schools for the Catholic and Private high schools in Louisville. I know kids from my kids' grade schools that attended Fern Creek, Male, Manual, Seneca, Trinity, St. X, Assumption, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, Presentation, Mercy, J-Town, Eastern.....Would the Catholic grade school's students be "off-limits" to the public schools?

This garbage kills me (again from the CJ Article):

 

After that vote, board member C.B. Akins of Lexington offered an amendment that made Proposal 2 more agreeable.

 

"I really think that there has to be some curtailing of (athletic) recruiting," Akins said. "It's totally out of hand. Anybody that will not acknowledge that it goes on has their heads in the sand. At the same time I'm really concerned about overpunishing kids."

 

===========================

 

All I can say Mr. Akins is if (athletic) recruiting is "totally out of hand" then the emphasis by the BOE and KHSAA should be on investigation/enforcement (of the alleged athletic recruiting) and not garbage like Prop 2.

As a police officer Guru, is what you know to be happening and what you can prove to be happening two different things? Are there things that are going on in your area that you patrol that you know are happening, but right now can't prove?

 

Just because the KHSAA cannot prove something doesn't mean it is not happening. And doesn't mean they are not trying to prove it.

 

The Compliance Division is looking more and more as a needed thing but will end up only making more lawsuits, more threads on why someone was or was not ruled eligible. Good for BGP business.:sssh: ;) :thumb:

Would the Catholic grade school's students be "off-limits" to the public schools?

 

From what I understand, once a student/athlete finishes 6th grade they have to attend 7th and 8th grade at a designated junior high school for the high school that they wish to attend. If they attend 7th or 8th grade at a junior high school that is not designated for the high school that they attend, they will be ineligible for competition for one year.

From what I understand, once a student/athlete finishes 6th grade they have to attend 7th grade at a designated junior high school for the high school that they wish to attend.

 

I don't think that sounds terrible for Jefferson County as long as they let any kid in Middle School go to any high school. No one should be coming in from other counties but if someone goes to a public Middle School and wants to go to Trinity and lives in Jefferson County I don't have a problem or if the same happens from a private middle school to a High School.

 

I don't know if this is how they will do it but it sounds good to me.

Question for clarifying...

 

Prop 2 covers private to public or public to private. And transfer rules apply to public to public or private to private. Is that correct?

 

If yes, has this rule now indicated that the HS varsity establisment for MSers is made when? Presently not till their freshmen year so how does transfer rules come into account if it has not been established till their freshmen year? I am understanding that if they are attending a feeder MS, they are now established at a public (or private) HS and if they attend another public (private) HS, then transfer rules take place.

 

While only Prop 2 comes into play if that same kid leaves the public (or private) middle school and wants to go to a private (or public) middle school.

 

Schools in parenthesis are attached to the other school in parenthesis.

I have no idea on Manual so I'm not really saying anything for them.

 

But if the KHSAA is trying to put a Middle School plan in this why can't the kids be given the option to go to any high school they want too if there is no district bound in the county ONLY in the same county?

 

Would that not work? I know in Fayette County certain Middle Schools go to certain High Schools. But every now and then odd things happen. Could this not work of making a rule to keep the kids in the County from Middle School to High School for Public and Private?

 

And here you will have the problems arise from many of the independent schools around the state.

 

I don't know the Southeast KY area well, but I wil attempt to use a hypothetical situation that I have heard and read about, that could be applied to some places in that area.

 

Student and family live near the border of two counties. Independent school A is in other county, and a 5 minute drive from students house. County school which student is scheduled to go is, due to factors such as roads, a 45 minute drive. Counties have reciprocal agreement for students attending the independent school. Is this a scenario where a waiver system is in place? Is there another way to do this; I don't know.

  • Author
Question for clarifying...

 

Prop 2 covers private to public or public to private. And transfer rules apply to public to public or private to private. Is that correct?

 

If yes, has this rule now indicated that the HS varsity establisment for MSers is made when? Presently not till their freshmen year so how does transfer rules come into account if it has not been established till their freshmen year? I am understanding that if they are attending a feeder MS, they are now established at a public (or private) HS and if they attend another public (private) HS, then transfer rules take place.

 

While only Prop 2 comes into play if that same kid leaves the public (or private) middle school and wants to go to a private (or public) middle school.

 

Schools in parenthesis are attached to the other school in parenthesis.

 

You're right. Bylaw 6 only applies if the child has previously been in the 9th grade or higher. They would have to amend Bylaw 6 and they haven't done that.

 

Yet another twist . . .

  • Author
And here you will have the problems arise from many of the independent schools around the state.

 

I don't know the Southeast KY area well, but I wil attempt to use a hypothetical situation that I have heard and read about, that could be applied to some places in that area.

 

Student and family live near the border of two counties. Independent school A is in other county, and a 5 minute drive from students house. County school which student is scheduled to go is, due to factors such as roads, a 45 minute drive. Counties have reciprocal agreement for students attending the independent school. Is this a scenario where a waiver system is in place? Is there another way to do this; I don't know.

 

I was told that reciprocity agreements would be honored, but most of those are inter-county.

You're right. Bylaw 6 only applies if the child has previously been in the 9th grade or higher. They would have to amend Bylaw 6 and they haven't done that.

 

Yet another twist . . .

Here is an interesting twist too. My daughter will be an 8th grader next season and play her 3rd season on the varsity golf team. If we chose to send her to Calvary Christian next year, she would have to sit out her freshmen season after having 3 years of experience for the varsity golf team.

 

Honestly, I would have minimal problem with it as a parent to get her into a good private Christian school and it would be worth it. As a freshmen and her missing only those HS matches it would be very minimal to how it would affect her.

As a police officer Guru, is what you know to be happening and what you can prove to be happening two different things? Are there things that are going on in your area that you patrol that you know are happening, but right now can't prove?

 

Just because the KHSAA cannot prove something doesn't mean it is not happening. And doesn't mean they are not trying to prove it.

 

The Compliance Division is looking more and more as a needed thing but will end up only making more lawsuits, more threads on why someone was or was not ruled eligible. Good for BGP business.:sssh: ;) :thumb:

 

Of course what you know and what you can prove are two vastly different things and thankfully in our criminal justice system we have to prove what we think we know. However, proving what you think you know is not what the BOE/KHSAA has done here.

 

All I can say is this, where I work if you think something is going on you are told to "make a case." And if you can't make a case we sure as heck don't go out and harass anyone (I know the word harass is strong for this analogy but the analogy is fitting).

  • Author
Here is an interesting twist too. My daughter will be an 8th grader next season and play her 3rd season on the varsity golf team. If we chose to send her to Calvary Christian next year, she would have to sit out her freshmen season after having 3 years of experience for the varsity golf team.

 

Honestly, I would have minimal problem with it as a parent to get her into a good private Christian school and it would be worth it. As a freshmen and her missing only those HS matches it would be very minimal to how it would affect her.

 

I haven't seen anything in writing, but I recall something about the rule's prospective application not applying to those currently in the 7th or 8th grades. No notice, you see.

From what I understand, once a student/athlete finishes 6th grade they have to attend 7th and 8th grade at a designated junior high school for the high school that they wish to attend. If they attend 7th or 8th grade at a junior high school that is not designated for the high school that they attend, they will be ineligible for competition for one year.

 

I think that if this does eventually go through, the door opens for more allegations of recruiting (from or agianst either side). So if this is in effect next year, and stud 6th grade basketball player attends Jessie Clark Middle school in Lexington, and then enrolls in Mary Queen, the private feeder school to Lexington Catholic, you'd be a fool to think that the allegations of recruiting would go away. I'd say that the situation would be worse, and just as we have both wondered, would open up the KHSAA to oversee Middle and Jr. High school sports.

 

BTW, if supposed recruiting goes on at the Middle school level, who handles the complaints? Is it the local school board?

Of course what you know and what you can prove are two vastly different things and thankfully in our criminal justice system we have to prove what we think we know. However, proving what you think you know is not what the BOE/KHSAA has done here.

 

All I can say is this, where I work if you think something is going on you are told to "make a case." And if you can't make a case we sure as heck don't go out and harass anyone (I know the word harass is strong for this analogy but the analogy is fitting).

One of the things that is getting lost in this debate is that we are actually addressing two different arms of the KHSAA. The HS's are the ones that are the driving force behind these proposals while the enforcing comes from the KHSAA headquarters.

 

I believe most posters and people see this as the same group. But it is not.

 

Prop 20 came from the public HS's and NOT the KHSAA HQ's that enforce the rules and do the investigation. And those that are trying to determine the eligibility of players are NOT the ones who came up with Prop 20 and Prop 2.

 

You raise a very interesting question with the "make a case" comment. Should the KHSAA be in the business of investigating like police would have to in making a case? Let me phrase that better, is that where the KHSAA should be sending their time and resources ($$$) in having a team of private investigators?

 

What does that say about the way our HS athletics system is setup if the governing body has to become like police investigators? Does it say the system is NOT WORKING?

And here you will have the problems arise from many of the independent schools around the state.

 

I don't know the Southeast KY area well, but I wil attempt to use a hypothetical situation that I have heard and read about, that could be applied to some places in that area.

 

Student and family live near the border of two counties. Independent school A is in other county, and a 5 minute drive from students house. County school which student is scheduled to go is, due to factors such as roads, a 45 minute drive. Counties have reciprocal agreement for students attending the independent school. Is this a scenario where a waiver system is in place? Is there another way to do this; I don't know.

 

I don't dissagree with you in saying your example could raise a problem. But this is somewhere around .01% of the students who could fall into this problem. Maybe like one or two players a year a best. No rule is going to be perfect but if we can make a rule of keeping the kids in the county that will make a simple rule and make 99.99% happy I think it sounds ok to me.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.