Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

  • Author
My first question is when will this go into effect?

 

My second question is, what if you have a child that attends a Catholic Middle Scool and the nearest Catholic High is two Counties and over twenty miles away, will a person have to go to that Catholic High School in order to be eligable?

 

First, there is a 30 day "comment" period as is required by all administrative regulations, for which there will be a hearing date. I think that the rule also has to go back to the KHSAA BOC for implementation. This is where a lot of these details will supposedly be hammered out. There also apparently is some legislative in input in this area. I would say we are still many moons away from seeing rule implemented.

 

Your second question depends on what the feeder middle school list is for that particular Catholic high school. If your child's middle school is on that list, he/she will have to attend that school or go somewhere else and sit out games for one year.

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe the anger of the many public school officials was equally split between their frustration with the ineptness of the KHSAA in investigating and prosecuting those guilty of infractions and the arrogant behavior of many private school officials. One "corrective action" imposed on a small parochial Jefferson County school found guilty of illegal recruiting a couple of years ago was not allowing the head football coach to be the admittance counselor. That could have been a reasonable voluntary step all privates could have taken. The head football coach should not be the contact person for admittance to the school when the KHSAA bylaws seem to forbid this type of contact with prospective student-athletes according to case situations of Bylaw 10 in the KHSAA handbook. The head coach at St X also currently serves as the Director of Admissions?????

 

I realize that some public schools are also guilty of this type of misconduct and they should be held just as accountable. I also believe that the perception among the majority of delegates is/was that privates were much more blatant in their attempts to improve their situation using public school kids that didn't grow up in the parochial system.

I'm really happy that you're willing to concede that "some" public schools are guilty while maintaining that a "perception" of impropriety is enough to punish kids over.

 

Sugar coat it any way you want this IS MOST ASSURADLY NOT about illegal recruiting. If it was the public schools wouldn't have dismissed the private school proposal to fully fund a compliance division of the KHSAA to investigate and punish violations of recruiting rules. This is about public schools that are afraid they will lose more students that they "own" to public schools, no more no less.

  • Author
I'm really happy that you're willing to concede that "some" public schools are guilty while maintaining that a "perception" of impropriety is enough to punish kids over.

 

Sugar coat it any way you want this IS MOST ASSURADLY NOT about illegal recruiting. If it was the public schools wouldn't have dismissed the private school proposal to fully fund a compliance division of the KHSAA to investigate and punish violations of recruiting rules. This is about public schools that are afraid they will lose more students that they "own" to public schools, no more no less.

 

I agree. The KHSAA has steadfastly maintained that the rule changes are NOT about politics, power and money. I believe that about as much as I believe the war in Iraq is NOT about politics, power, and oil.

How about a school such as St. Camillus, which is a small Catholic school located in Corbin that goes up to the 8th grade? The kids who go there come from Corbin, London, Barbourville and other surrounding areas. There are no Catholic High Schools for them to attend in the area, so do these kids who must transfer to other schools after their 8th grade year automatically have to sit out a year? If so, that does not seem fair to me.

  • Author
How about a school such as St. Camillus, which is a small Catholic school located in Corbin that goes up to the 8th grade? The kids who go there come from Corbin, London, Barbourville and other surrounding areas. There are no Catholic High Schools for them to attend in the area, so do these kids who must transfer to other schools after their 8th grade year automatically have to sit out a year? If so, that does not seem fair to me.

 

I agree.

From the CJ Article:

 

Tim Shaughnessy, a state senator from Louisville, called the board's decision "extremely disappointing."

 

Shaughnessy, who tried to block Proposal 2 in the latest legislative session, noted that the Board of Education will conduct a public hearing to receive comments in the next 30 days. Then the proposal will be reviewed by two legislative committees, he said.

 

"Then the governor will have the opportunity to weigh in," he said. "So this thing is a long way from done, and I will be engaged in trying to stop this at every opportunity."

This garbage kills me (again from the CJ Article):

 

After that vote, board member C.B. Akins of Lexington offered an amendment that made Proposal 2 more agreeable.

 

"I really think that there has to be some curtailing of (athletic) recruiting," Akins said. "It's totally out of hand. Anybody that will not acknowledge that it goes on has their heads in the sand. At the same time I'm really concerned about overpunishing kids."

 

===========================

 

All I can say Mr. Akins is if (athletic) recruiting is "totally out of hand" then the emphasis by the BOE and KHSAA should be on investigation/enforcement (of the alleged athletic recruiting) and not garbage like Prop 2.

How about a school such as St. Camillus, which is a small Catholic school located in Corbin that goes up to the 8th grade? The kids who go there come from Corbin, London, Barbourville and other surrounding areas. There are no Catholic High Schools for them to attend in the area, so do these kids who must transfer to other schools after their 8th grade year automatically have to sit out a year? If so, that does not seem fair to me.

 

St. Camillus is listed as a private school under the Catholic Diocese of Lexington, along with The Piarist School in Martin KY, Holy Family School in Ashland, Our Lady of the Mountians in Paintsville, St. Francis in Pikeville, and St. Julian in Middlesboro, in addition to others in the Lexington area or adjacent counties. There is only one High School in the Diocese- Lexington Catholic. If what I understand about the ruling is right, and these private schools well away from Lexington are kept as feeder schools(which being under supervision from the Diocese, I think will have to be so) then any student at those schools could attend Lexington Catholic and not be under penalty. If the 30 mile rule prevents it, then why even have an established group of feeder schools?

  • Author
St. Camillus is listed as a private school under the Catholic Diocese of Lexington, along with The Piarist School in Martin KY, Holy Family School in Ashland, Our Lady of the Mountians in Paintsville, St. Francis in Pikeville, and St. Julian in Middlesboro, in addition to others in the Lexington area or adjacent counties. There is only one High School in the Diocese- Lexington Catholic. If what I understand about the ruling is right, and these private schools well away from Lexington are kept as feeder schools(which being under supervision from the Diocese, I think will have to be so) then any student at those schools could attend Lexington Catholic and not be under penalty. If the 30 mile rule prevents it, then why even have an established group of feeder schools?

 

The 30-mile rule only applies to high schools with 300 or fewer students. I thought Lexington Catholic had more.

The 30-mile rule only applies to high schools with 300 or fewer students. I thought Lexington Catholic had more.

Okay, so since that doesn't apply (Lexington Catholic has about 850), any of those schools in Eastern Ky can send a student directly to Lexington Catholic and that student can be immediatley eligible. I am reading that right?

St. Camillus is listed as a private school under the Catholic Diocese of Lexington, along with The Piarist School in Martin KY, Holy Family School in Ashland, Our Lady of the Mountians in Paintsville, St. Francis in Pikeville, and St. Julian in Middlesboro, in addition to others in the Lexington area or adjacent counties. There is only one High School in the Diocese- Lexington Catholic. If what I understand about the ruling is right, and these private schools well away from Lexington are kept as feeder schools(which being under supervision from the Diocese, I think will have to be so) then any student at those schools could attend Lexington Catholic and not be under penalty. If the 30 mile rule prevents it, then why even have an established group of feeder schools?

 

I doubt many of these kids are going to travel 75 miles one way to go to Lex Catholic. I suppose to get around this rule, you would have to leave your current school before the 8th grade.

 

Who exactly are they trying to punish and who are they punishing in reality? Will this rule really have any affect on the big Catholic schools who would never have freshman playing varsity anyways?

  • Author
This garbage kills me (again from the CJ Article):

 

After that vote, board member C.B. Akins of Lexington offered an amendment that made Proposal 2 more agreeable.

 

"I really think that there has to be some curtailing of (athletic) recruiting," Akins said. "It's totally out of hand. Anybody that will not acknowledge that it goes on has their heads in the sand. At the same time I'm really concerned about overpunishing kids."

 

===========================

 

All I can say Mr. Akins is if (athletic) recruiting is "totally out of hand" then the emphasis by the BOC and KHSAA should be on investigation/enforcement (of the alleged athletic recruiting) and not garbage like Prop 2.

 

C.B. is a minister from Lexington. I would have preferred that once the proposal was dead that no further motions had been made, but frankly, the issue would have come back before them again. The Board told the KHSAA to get something done or the Board would be taking the reins, and the KHSAA was not very strong. Frankly, I think the compromise was exactly the type of thing that makes both sides unhappy, but also puts some sort of end in sight, at least as the Board is concerned. This stuff is really not a Board issue; I think it only collaterally relates to "education," and the Board has enough to deal with trying to juggle testing procedures, facilities plan approvals, and other things, rather than spending all of its time on KHSAA squabbles. I guess what I am trying to say is that I think the Board is the only entity that has had any fortitude in this matter, and that blame can't really be cast at their feet. Unless, of course, anyone thinks they should just go ahead and revoke KHSAA's charter. Takers?

I don't know because I don't know how LCA figures into it. Anyone?

 

To answer the queston from The Golfer, I would assume it is dependent on going to a specific middle school, and not where you live.

 

Guru, for LCA, the entire school is 6-12, so I assume you must be a student there to participate as a freshman in athletics.

I doubt many of these kids are going to travel 75 miles one way to go to Lex Catholic. I suppose to get around this rule, you would have to leave your current school before the 8th grade.

 

Who exactly are they trying to punish and who are they punishing in reality? Will this rule really have any affect on the big Catholic schools who would never have freshman playing varsity anyways?

 

I totally agree that this would not be something many would choose to do, but I think it points out the flawed thinking behing trying to pass this proposal, instead of having stircter enfrocement of current rules.

  • Author
Okay, so since that doesn't apply (Lexington Catholic has about 850), any of those schools in Eastern Ky can send a student directly to Lexington Catholic and that student can be immediatley eligible. I am reading that right?

 

I am not so sure. See my post #53. I am concerned that the KHSAA will require each Catholic high school to provide a feeder school list that may not include every middle school in their Diocese. I really don't know.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.