Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New KHSAA Eligibility Rules

Featured Replies

A lot of posters have made excellent points and raised interesting and hard-to-answer questions that I am sure were not raised prior to passage. Perhaps in the future, KHSAA should run their ideas thru BGP before passing far-reaching proposals like this. Would have saved them a lot of headaches and $$ IMO. Post the proposal on BGP and let members have at it for awhile. Then again, I'm sure they think they already have ALL the answers!

 

:thumb:

I can say without absolutely certainty that the man I personally know and call a friend that serves on the BOC, is not this way.

 

He very much tries to think of the best interest of the students, talks to the coaches at his building about rules and things that they are considering to get that viewpoint. He is widely known around our region and does the same on a regional basis.

 

While he has been in the midst of this situation, he has been very articulate and fair minded when quoted in the papers and I have seen NO difference in his personal opinions in our emails or our conversations and the way he is portrayed in the papers.

 

And I have agreed and I have disagreed with his positions and the positions of the BOC.

  • Replies 244
  • Views 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Let me pose this additional thought: Why would a child be prohibited from participating in athletics due to a transfer, but not prohibited from participating in the band, cheerleading, debate, quiz bowl, etc. etc.? I honestly cannot see the legal distinction. I realize that the KHSAA only regulates interscholastic athletics, but they are an agent of the Board of Education and the Board is charged with ensuring the implementation of all aspects of education.

Let me pose this additional thought: Why would a child be prohibited from participating in athletics due to a transfer, but not prohibited from participating in the band, cheerleading, debate, quiz bowl, etc. etc.? I honestly cannot see the legal distinction. I realize that the KHSAA only regulates interscholastic athletics, but they are an agent of the Board of Education and the Board is charged with ensuring the implementation of all aspects of education.

 

 

Hearsay, that's another good point. Those are all voluntary participation activities, and if the Board of Education is imposing restrictions on extracurricular activities, then it needs to apply to all, not just athletics.

Anyone have a good link to an accurate summary of Prop 2 as enacted.

  • Author
Anyone have a good link to an accurate summary of Prop 2 as enacted.

 

Its not law just yet. The BOE suggested an amendment, so it goes to a 30 day "hearing" period first, and a re-constructed version will come out of that.

Is RA Jones still around and if so, who do they feed??

 

Yes they are still around and I believe RA feeds into Boone and Ryle. This could get so funky in Boone County that Gray (which is on the Ryle campus) may have to feed into the new high school on Longbranch Road.

 

All I can say is it will be very interested to see how everything pans out and if there are blatant inequities running in the favor of the public high schools.

I assume Boone County will be able to decide what middle school feeds to what high school but all the kids from a middle school will have to go to the same high school unlike what they do now in Boone County. Indirectly, I think Prop 2 does force a school district like Boone County to change how they allocate students in their district.

 

 

I think it will still be the same! I do not see where it says that all students in that middle school will have to go to a certain school but rather, students from Ockerman will be able to go to which ever district high school they fall into. Would be status quo.

 

I think they will follow the traditional feeder schools. Same with Kenton County schools.

If it is done that way dd then Prop 2 is a complete joke. Either the feeder schools are going to be defined for everyone or they shouldn't be defined for anyone.

 

However, I hope the KHSAA does treat the public schools different than the private schools (by making exceptions) so this garbage can get into the court system.

Wouldn't Ms. DeVries attempt to keep this from being interpreted or implemeted in favor of public schools anymore than is obvious? I could be wrong, but I thought she had a parochial background?

Pure speculation to start looking instead of study and review. But, what I think will and should be looked at is the board staffing of the organization as a whole.

 

No one calls foul about Jullian Thacket running a referee class or program yet have a say about Sweet Sixteen officiating? Just one example.

 

The bottom line to this organization is this, 20 plus years ago no one cared, really how high school sports ran. Today, it is a multi million dollar business that is staffed and run by (sorry to be direct), ex AD or AD of various schools. Come on, this group as a whole could not foster a successful opening of a Walmart in a barren town. This is now a business, its officers and directors need to be those of business, entertainment, marketing and legal backgrounds. AD's could serve as an advisory group but really need to be pushed aside. In a nutshell, proven time and again, they are in over their heads. To prove my point, take the total funds KHSAA runs currently and has say over, compare to any non profit or for profit business, name one other place those in place at KHSAA would find equal employment in another equal size or larger business.

 

Hopefully this will occur but doubtful. The group looking into it, the BOE will be leaning on the Education Department for operational help. To define that group, reread the above and subtract 20% with staff serving contracts of retired educators.

 

We shall see.

 

 

I think you may be publicly indicting the wrong person. Last I checked, Tackett has nothing to do with basketball other than running the tournament. I think someone else in their office does basketball. But don't let the facts get in the way of your preaching. Maybe the rest of your examples should be factual.

 

And the last audit I saw of the organization (and trust me, they are not without fault), their staff made less than in the local school districts around Lexington and were in the same retirement system. So getting your facts straight might make for better, more informed arguments.

I think a huge step in the right direction would be for the Board of Control to be all at large appointments instead of school employees that are little more than just political appointees.

 

What you end up with is BOC members voting for their own re-election instead of voting what is best for KY student-athletes and the result is garbage like Prop 2 being forced down our throat by the BOE.

 

It seems like the more logical answer, while ensuring representation distributed throughout the state, would simply be to go back to the days when members could only serve one term and then another region had to come on. Seems like in those days, none of this stuff brewed or simmered so strongly.

I think it will still be the same! I do not see where it says that all students in that middle school will have to go to a certain school but rather, students from Ockerman will be able to go to which ever district high school they fall into. Would be status quo.

 

I think they will follow the traditional feeder schools. Same with Kenton County schools.

Not if you read it. Where the students go will depend on where they went to school in the 7th and 8th grades. That's certainly not the status quo. People who previously had to make choices after grade 8 now have to make them after grade 6. If that adjustment is made, this proposal will not effect students or schools.

If it is done that way dd then Prop 2 is a complete joke. Either the feeder schools are going to be defined for everyone or they shouldn't be defined for anyone.

 

However, I hope the KHSAA does treat the public schools different than the private schools (by making exceptions) so this garbage can get into the court system.

 

Just because it isn't easily understood, doesn't make it garbage. Nor does your disagreement. And if applied literally as written (there really does not appear to be much room for interpretation), it effects all equally, so legal challenges while they sound great when preaching, may not be all that successful.

 

The Association is made up of its member schools. Not the KHSAA staff, not state department, not any of those groups. Nor a vocal group of BGPers. But rather, one rep from each school. So they get the priviledge of making the rules for this priviledge called athletics (an extra curricular, voluntary activity by the way).

 

As to what will happen in the future, look into your crystal ball. Though mine is fuzzy, what I see if the non public schools deciding the hell with it, forming their own group. Not waiting to be voted out, but simply taking their group and forming another one. And taking the best and brightest with them, leaving many public areas with the lowest common denominator. I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I can't help but think that.

 

And for heavens sakes, don't give anyone this crap about rules not being enforced or a single specific case in Northern Kentucky or Bullitt County. Just consider how many different ways this particular rule is effecting schools in your area, due to the many types of schools. Take that and apply it to a statewide basis and you see the task of trying to make a single, simple sets of rules that can apply equally and fairly to all. It just doesn't work.

 

The current rules, even rigidly enforced with a band of investigators and lawyers, still have created a division in the member schools of the KHSAA because it (the set of rules, with hard line standards and requirements for written documenation, etc.) has allowed the non publics to grow and prosper at a time when the publics fight an internal and external test score and funding battle.

 

And the gap will only widen, whatever the effect of this proposal, as even key public school representatives can't seem to agree on a unified strategy for improving the basic education system.

 

Sorry, feet got stuck on the soapbox.

Wouldn't Ms. DeVries attempt to keep this from being interpreted or implemeted in favor of public schools anymore than is obvious? I could be wrong, but I thought she had a parochial background?

 

She does.

Larry Boucher oversees officials and does the rules clinics for coaches and officials.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.