Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is anyone else concerned about Barnhart...

Featured Replies

Is anyone else concerned that Mitch Barnhart will hire someone completely out of left field? I keep hearing the fan base talk about Billy Donovan or Thad Matta or Billy Gillespie and they all sound fine. Something keeps telling/worrying me that UK will announce the hiring of Ernie Kent from Oregon or someone else that no one has mentioned, just because we haven't heard from Barnhart since Tubby left.

 

I know Mitch has done a nice job hiring for the "minor" sports, but no one was overly thrilled when Coach Brooks came to Lexington, although he's doing a decent job. I'm afraid he'll make a what the heck hire for basketball as well.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anyone else concerned that Mitch Barnhart will hire someone completely out of left field? I keep hearing the fan base talk about Billy Donovan or Thad Matta or Billy Gillespie and they all sound fine. Something keeps telling/worrying me that UK will announce the hiring of Ernie Kent from Oregon or someone else that no one has mentioned, just because we haven't heard from Barnhart since Tubby left.

 

I know Mitch has done a nice job hiring for the "minor" sports, but no one was overly thrilled when Coach Brooks came to Lexington, although he's doing a decent job. I'm afraid he'll make a what the heck hire for basketball as well.

IMO if he makes one of those hires he himself will be looking for a new job.

Not easy being an AD, much less at a school with historical accolades, like UK.

 

Barnhart, does an excellent job at managing the Athletic program. He and his staff, will have reasons for interviews and hires, which may not make sense to us fans, but nonetheless have a valid reason for the program.

 

Whomever is hired, will be scrutinized and compared to Rupp, Pitino and Smith, just the way the Kentucky fans are....Make no mistake, Barnhart is in charge of Athletics and many will be interested in the position, but one must be chosen.

[/b]

IMO if he makes one of those hires he himself will be looking for a new job.

I agree, I have a feeling some of the HUGE donors are behind this as well. I don't think Barnhart is getting a new coach on his own. Plus, we are talking a very large contract, possibly the biggest in college sports, one person wouldn't be able to make that decision himself.

Are you really "concerned"? He hasn't even hired anyone yet. UK fans are killing me. I have never in my life seen people so worried about something that...a)they have zero controll over...and b) is nothing more then stupid rumors at this point. Why worry about it. Barnhart will hire someone soon enough. Worry about then.

Bad Hire = Barhart gone within two years

Good Hire (apeases fans for BD) = they will name something after him

I think Mitch knows this is his defining moment and he can not blow it. I expect he will hit a home.

I think Mitch knows this is his defining moment and he can not blow it. I expect he will hit a home.

Not ONLY his defining moment but the move that will cement him keeping his job or the beginning of him losing it.

Maybe we haven't heard from him because he can't tell what he knows.... yet.

 

DeMoss... Cohen... are you upset about those hires?

Does Billy control MB's future????:bunny:

I have also noticed Barnhart has been a complete no show since Tubby left.

 

I like Barnhart's track record at UK by bringing in Mickie Demoss and John Cohen, I am still out on the Rich Brooks hire.....

I think Mitch knows this is his defining moment and he can not blow it. I expect he will hit a home.

And he is so confident that he asked for help with "his" defining moment. What a baffoon.

I am very comfortable with the job Mitch has done. He has turned UK athletics into more than a 1 trick pony. Brooks has rebuilt a devastated football program and done it WITHOUT cheating. Something Curci or Mumme could not do and they both took over the program in MUCH better shape than what Brooks had to deal with. However, many who have never liked Mitch, will look to this as his only defining moment as if UK athletics is only about men's hoops. I like having an athletic department not just a basketball department. Womens basketball, mens baseball, soccer, etc have all shown improvements, ... the baseball team is ranked #8 in the country and last year many on here thought there was no way Mitch could keep Cohen. He did.

 

The fact is that if Billy D doesn't take the money, the negative media surrounding UK basketball fans the past week or so will have an impact on what candidates would even really be interested. We UK fans can keep saying 'We are the best program and any coach would give his right eye to come here', but sometimes, no amount of money can buy happiness.

 

None of this, BTW, is Mitch's fault. But if Donovan doesn't come, Mitch will catch 10 kinds of grief from every direction.

None of this, BTW, is Mitch's fault. But if Donovan doesn't come, Mitch will catch 10 kinds of grief from every direction.

Like it or not...he should if William doesn't come to KY...that's what being the AD at a premier University is all about.

In addition to Cohen and DeMoss, he's also hired Skinner for the volleyball team who was also a SEC COY. He knows what he's doing. Most were probably indifferent when it came to the baseball, UK Hoops, diving and volleyball teams, but Mitch knows what the expectations are for the Men's BB hire. He knows the implications. I trust him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.