March 31, 200719 yr Like it or not...he should if William doesn't come to KY...that's what being the AD at a premier University is all about. So its ok for the AD, but not for the head men's basketball coach? :sssh:
March 31, 200719 yr And he is so confident that he asked for help with "his" defining moment. What a baffoon. He just covering all the bases.
March 31, 200719 yr Using available resources is degrading your ability? Let me catch my breath :laugh: It's not some macho power show, it is smart business. Mitch has done a great job at UK thus far in all sports. There is a lot at stake and I have confidence in him that this hire will turn out just fine.
March 31, 200719 yr ^ Mitch has done good in 2-3 sports, OK in 1 other sport...but this is his real time. If they settle for Jay Wright or Thad Matta...the natives will start to get restless.
March 31, 200719 yr ^ Mitch has done good in 2-3 sports, OK in 1 other sport...but this is his real time. If they settle for Jay Wright or Thad Matta...the natives will start to get restless. The UK natives' reaction is the last thing I would use to evaluate anybody's job performance. :lol: Every hire Barnhart has made has improved the program they were hired into. A couple have been much more than just OK. And that makes him a buffoon? Would getting Donovan be the steal of the year? Of course. But would not getting him be a failure? No way. It is just not that conceivable that he will be lured away, by anybody. Mitch is doing a great job. Yes he will be judged by this one move, and if anything less than stealing Donovan is the outcome, it will be a harsh reaction by the delusional UK fans. But as we all know, the UK fans are much less than reasonable and far from fair. A bad fan reaction to not getting Donovan would be more of a reflection on the unreal UK fan base than it would be on Barnhart's abilities. Much more telling will be to wait and see what his plan B turns out to be and how successful he can be at landing that candidate, and how quickly.
April 1, 200719 yr Mitch may have done a good job in some of his hires, but for me, the jury is still out in a major way. Brooks came in and for the first years, did nothing but bad mouth his players, degrade their abilities and repeated ad nauseum (mis-spelled to show it made me sick) that he had a program in trouble. If you're a great coach, suck it up, get the job done without blaming a bunch of 18-21 year old kids. While I love UK football and hope that we have indeed turned a corner, I'm still not a believer that this was a great hire, it just happens to be working out ok in spite of Mitch and his constant ticket increases and demands for donations to even be in a position to buy tickets. I don't trust Barnhart. I read in the paper that he was going to be the guy to hire the next coach on his own. Then I read where UK is paying major bucks to some huge head hunting company to attract a coach - the same one that attracted Tubby to Minnesota according to the report. Which is Mitch doing? If the hire is good, he did it, if not blame the hired hands?
April 1, 200719 yr I don't trust Barnhart. I read in the paper that he was going to be the guy to hire the next coach on his own. Then I read where UK is paying major bucks to some huge head hunting company to attract a coach - the same one that attracted Tubby to Minnesota according to the report. Which is Mitch doing? If the hire is good, he did it, if not blame the hired hands? You're missing what he said. He said there will not be a search committee. That means the final decision will be his. He didn't mean he was going to do 100% of the legwork by himself. Not using a search firm would be like writing a research paper, but not using any outside sources. The outcome of this search will be 100% attributable to Mitch, good or bad.
April 1, 200719 yr I see nothing wrong with using a search firm to help in the process. Why not use all available resources for a decision as important to the University of Kentucky as this. This article makes a lot of valid points. Heck, I'm just an insignificant nobody, but I found my way to my current employer after being contacted by a search firm that they were utilizing. Search Firm allows Kentucky to work quietly.
April 6, 200719 yr I think Mitch knows this is his defining moment and he can not blow it. I expect he will hit a home. Mitch just hit it out of the park!
April 6, 200719 yr ^ For now....I hope this works..a double digit loss season is likely next....Gillispie will have a 2-3 year pass....I know he will do well....this is a good hire for Barnhart I bet he sleeps well now.
April 6, 200719 yr Now, can everyone get off Barnhart's back? This was a solid hire after UK found itself not as attractive to Donovan, Pitino, Barnes, etc.
April 6, 200719 yr Now, can everyone get off Barnhart's back? This was a solid hire after UK found itself not as attractive to Donovan, Pitino, Barnes, etc. It a great hire, this guy is a hard working freak who eats sleeps and drinks basketball, is good with the media and most impotantly a great recruiter. UK fans will embrace him from the get go.
April 6, 200719 yr This is Mitch's "one shining moment". I am satified with the hire. A new era has begun in Kentucky basketball.:dancingpa :dancingpa
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.