John Edwards wife Elizabeth's cancer returns!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he'll suspend his campaign for a while...possibly for good.

Actually, the AP is reporting that he has said it will not affect his campaign and that he still intends to seek the Presidency.

I like the guy, but I'm not sure I would make the same decision.

Im like you Hearsay, I am not sure I would make the same decision either but I have found that politicians at that level have the most supportive families. It has to be tough to be so supportive in such a position that she is in where it could be easy to seek sympathy but she appears to be standing behind her man as they say.

I cannot think of one family that cancer has not affected in some form. Terrible illness.

1 in 4 with stage four breast cancer live 5 years or longer. She appeared at the press conference with him, and it didn't look like she was upset that he was going to continue. Here's a quote from the briefing:

Asked by a reporter whether recurrence of the cancer would cause him to suspend any campaign activities, such as fundraising or travel, Mr. Edwards said no. “We know from our previous experience that when this happens you have a choice, you can go cower in the corner and hide, or you can be tough and go out there and stand up for what you believe in,” he said.

“Both of us are committed to the cause and we’re committed to changing this country that we love so much and we have no intention of cowering in the corner,” Mr. Edwards said.

You can believe him or not at your own discretion, but having been the primary caretaker for a family member who died of cancer, I completely agree with that mindset.

I would want my husband to continue on if I was in this situation.

:thumb: :thumb: I watched their news conference and what an amazing couple they are. They are a total unit and it was very easy to tell that they make no decision alone. He was quick to tell everyone that Elizabeth would be with him most of the time, and if she isn't and when she needs him, he will be with her. It was truly great to see that after all these years, they still respect, love and truly do like each other.

I wish her well and I hope that she has another 30 years to spend with the love of her life. What a woman to admire:thumb:

If I were in his shoes, I would want to be with my wife doing the things that she enjoys. Spending time with family, enjoying life. I would want to relish every last day with her without any distractions. I would never even consider going on the campaign trail and dragging her around with me or spending time away from her. Just no way.

I am not judging him or his decision, but I would choose differently.

Our family is dealing with the same crisis as the Edward's. My wife had been in remission of breast cancer for nine years, when she had a nagging pain in her side a few months ago. The cancer has come back to her ribs and a spot on her spine. She is taking chemo and she tires very easily. I will pray for Mrs. Edwards and her family, and for all who fight this faceless evil. I just don't see how she can go through the campaign trail with her health.

1 in 4 with stage four breast cancer live 5 years or longer. She appeared at the press conference with him, and it didn't look like she was upset that he was going to continue. Here's a quote from the briefing:

You can believe him or not at your own discretion, but having been the primary caretaker for a family member who died of cancer, I completely agree with that mindset..

That means that if he were to be elected, it is likely that his wife would die during or near the end of his first term. I'm sorry, but I think I would rather spend that time with my wife than dealing with national problems. It could make him ineffective as president.