Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Worst Fields

Featured Replies

Letcher's old field huh? Well, I know one guy that would probably take that field right now, since they don't even have one.

 

The 14th is full of bad fields. Jenkins (I felt really close to Heaven when playing there), Jackson City, and the old Wolfe Co. field all hold their own as some of the worst fields in the state.

 

Yeah, I understand that a certain coach is not in the least pleased that his field is not close to being ready to play on this year. I feel for him; been there, done that!

 

The old field at Wolfe County is, to be honest, horrible. The "dirt" infield is a mixture of gravel and glass, making sliding both painful and dangerous. (Got a lot of bad memories" hitting the dirt" playing softball there.) During the early spring the infield was usually a mudhole, and late spring/early summer, when the weather was drier, the field became hard as a brick. The outfield was rutted with tire marks as the field was often used as a parking lot for horse shows. The outfielders had to be careful to not step in the ruts or risk turning an ankle. In addition, the fences were woefully short, 280 down the lines, and maybe 295 to center. It seemed the wind was always blowing out, especially to right field, so anything hit in the air had a chance of becoming a home run. Of course, there were no lights, scoreboard, very little seating or parking, and the concession stand, restrooms and dugouts were all terrible, to say the least!

 

As bad as this field is, it was actully considered to be an upgrade over the old field we had when I played back in the 70's (Gosh, I hate showing my age!) I wont even go there unless someone wants to share some old (unpleasant) memories about that old place.

 

The new field is ready (still has some work to do, but is certainly playable) and is very nice. The kids are chomping at the bit to begin our first full season on it.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairview has the worst visitors dugout. It is not even close to the field, and has a road running in front of it.

Still has barbwire on the top of the fences.

Yes it does. It leans back as if to keep people from climbing over the fence into the field. Dont know why, but thats how it is.

Dixie's Turkeyfoot Field. Building in center field has head high air conditioners sticking out that could decapitate a player tracking a fly ball.

 

 

Don't complain. At least the corner of the building is padded. :D

What's most amazing to me about the air conditioner in ceterfield is that in all the Dixie games that I have attended at Turkeyfoot, I don't ever remember an outfield running into it (which is a very good thing!). I don't even remember a close call. I do know that the outfielders are aware of it.

Jackson County. I don't know if it was their permanent field or just one used for a limited time but it was terrible. A kid left with a severly sprained ankle due to the home plate, rocks everywhere, and the infield was extremely hard, not too fun to slide on.

Jackson County. I don't know if it was their permanent field or just one used for a limited time but it was terrible. A kid left with a severly sprained ankle due to the home plate, rocks everywhere, and the infield was extremely hard, not too fun to slide on.

 

If this one that you're talking about is on the campus of Tyner elementary then yes it is HORRIBLE!!!

 

The worst thing of it all is that they've tried to copy a major league field in naming it.....The Ballpark at Tyner (name is just like the Texas Rangers' The Ballpark at Arlington).

When it rains hard 2 days in a row Williamsburg is easily the worst in that it becomes a lake.

What's most amazing to me about the air conditioner in ceterfield is that in all the Dixie games that I have attended at Turkeyfoot, I don't ever remember an outfield running into it (which is a very good thing!). I don't even remember a close call. I do know that the outfielders are aware of it.

 

In the past, they've tried wrapping it for games. But like you said, I've never seen anyone hit it before, even in practice. I can't wait to see the new field when completed.

Silver Grove and Augusta

Augusta is getting theirs redone, at least now you won't have the sun in your eyes!

In the past, they've tried wrapping it for games. But like you said, I've never seen anyone hit it before, even in practice. I can't wait to see the new field when completed.

 

Actually got out of the car and walked around the field the other day....it's gonna be a sweet field.

i remember a field that i had seen but is no longer used and that is wolfe co. old field the worst field i have ever played on but heard they got a better one coming this season.

Johns Creek High School was pretty bad before they consolidated with Mullins High School to form Pike County Central around 1996 or so.

 

It had a dirt infield and was right next to the creek and if it rained too hard then the creek came up and covered the field.

 

As bad as that was centerfield to rightfield was about a two foot bank before you got to a heavily traveled road. People would park on the shoulder and you could say the cars were the "fence". It was possible for an outfielder to run up the small bank and make a catch and then a coal truck hit him.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.