Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Parents???

Featured Replies

I am very close to schools in particular in the 10th region and this is common in both schools, so I figured it is common everywhere.. All the parents in the stands want to 2nd guess the coaching staff and want to try and do the job that someone has been hired and paid to do.

 

"why isnt he playing, he led the JV in scoring in the JV game?" Well to all of those parents who dont know any better the JV game is a lot different than a varsity game. The pace is quicker and the competition is better in the Varsity game. Just because JO SCHMO had a good JV game doesnt mean that he is ready for Varsity action.

 

Quit worrying about it and let the coaches do their job.

I get sick and tired of hearing this from parents these days.

 

Here is a classic one that I have heard regarding this situation

 

"Hey Coach why isnt John Doe playing more? He beats his brothers down at the barn all the time?"

 

Coach replies with -------- Well Sir, I hate to break it to you, but we arent playing many at the barn this year...

 

So, parents whether you agree or disagree with the coaching staff regarding playing time remember that they see them everyday in practice, know their capabilities, and are doing whats best for the player and the team.

  • Replies 136
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated!

Good points URIT. Much easier to coach from the stands then to spend every day w/the team and the players and see them in practice and their attitudes then a seeing them a few games here and there, everyone knows that.

Good points URIT. Much easier to coach from the stands then to spend every day w/the team and the players and see them in practice and their attitudes then a seeing them a few games here and there, everyone knows that.

Everyone but their parents (not all parents, but a lot of them)

True and valis statement...but it takes all the fun out of sites like these!!! :dancingpa

First off there is no comparison between JV and Varsity, the speed, strength, and skill of the game are vastly different. Your also playing 8 more minutes a night at the Varsity level, so more strategery is also involved along with physical and mental conditioning. I agree most should keep their mouths shut, but everyone no matter who you are, is going to think your kid is not necessarily better, but deserves a try when others aren't getting it done.

So Coaches are always right, and never make mistakes. I do believe one of the if not the best player who ever played the game had a High School Coach in Wilmington NC who said he could not play either. Boy was he right.

 

Give me a break.

 

I have seen kids get playing time and play well. Then make one mistake and sit the rest of the game. While seniors go out there making the same mistakes and nothing is said.

I see kids playing varsity ball that led the JV games in turnovers and shoot 20% in the same JV games.

People say defense wins, what good is it to steal a ball only to turn it over two seconds later or miss a wide open lay up.

 

But Coaches are NEVER WRONG

Good points URIT. Much easier to coach from the stands then to spend every day w/the team and the players and see them in practice and their attitudes then a seeing them a few games here and there, everyone knows that.

 

I totally agree. This is why I believe that all high school coaches should hold open practices. In high school there should be nothing to hide and as a coach you should know enough about your teams and their families to know who the people are that are watching practice. When parents have a question the coach should invite them to watch practice and see for themselves.

So Coaches are always right, and never make mistakes. I do believe one of the if not the best player who ever played the game had a High School Coach in Wilmington NC who said he could not play either. Boy was he right.

 

 

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't want to become overly involved.

 

But, the whole Jordan thing is maybe the most misunderstood story in the history of sports. Mostly because fans, parents, only THINK they know what they're talking about.

 

Jordan wasn't on the VARSITY team as a smallish sophomore. He did play on the JV team as a sophomore though, so he wasn't exactly CUT. The next year he'd grown about five inches and the rest is history. Or as that one guy says....now you know the rest of the story.

So Coaches are always right, and never make mistakes. I do believe one of the if not the best player who ever played the game had a High School Coach in Wilmington NC who said he could not play either. Boy was he right.

 

Give me a break.

 

I have seen kids get playing time and play well. Then make one mistake and sit the rest of the game. While seniors go out there making the same mistakes and nothing is said.

I see kids playing varsity ball that led the JV games in turnovers and shoot 20% in the same JV games.

People say defense wins, what good is it to steal a ball only to turn it over two seconds later or miss a wide open lay up.

 

But Coaches are NEVER WRONG

Good reply.......Both you and I Reach I Teach have valid points. :thumb: It is true some kids are not allowed mistakes, while others have unlimited opportunities. Sometimes you can look around and figure out why this happens.......Most of the time coaches do know who will perform better, but when the majority of the fans starts questioning about a certain player usually there is something going on.

Yes, parents ("fans") can be right. However, there are many times underlying circumstances why player "B" plays over player "A" on a given night. Additionally, fans of teams should support ALL players...and the coaches for that matter.

 

The most whining and complaining that I have ever heard at our school has been after our team has beaten our rival school, usually when we were the underdog. "I don't care that the TEAM still won. Why didn't my kid get to play?" I guess that is what has soured me on the "fans" opinions. I will go with the coach, as they know more about the TEAM.

  • Author
So Coaches are always right, and never make mistakes. I do believe one of the if not the best player who ever played the game had a High School Coach in Wilmington NC who said he could not play either. Boy was he right.

 

Give me a break.

 

I have seen kids get playing time and play well. Then make one mistake and sit the rest of the game. While seniors go out there making the same mistakes and nothing is said.

I see kids playing varsity ball that led the JV games in turnovers and shoot 20% in the same JV games.

People say defense wins, what good is it to steal a ball only to turn it over two seconds later or miss a wide open lay up.

 

But Coaches are NEVER WRONG

 

 

No one said Coaches were always right... That wasnt in my post. I said they get paid to do a job (whether a good job or bad job in the parents eyes is irrelevant), so let them do their job.

How classy is during, before, and after every game for the parents to constantly 2nd guess the program and the coaching decisions??

I think alot is human nature,parents don't see what is going on at practices they just go on what their kid is telling them and the game situations they see. And its not just highschool, I find myself 2nd,3rd, and 4th guessing a coach like Tubby, who makes big $$$$$.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.