Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

District Football Is Broken

Featured Replies

But don't worry, the KHSAA figured out how to make eeeeeeverything fair by multiplying the enrollment numbers of the sixteen total private schools by 1.35 to reclassify. That's gonna fix it all. Well done, Julian 🙄

Seriously, look at the scores tonight....

Russell 60-6 over Lewis County
Madisonville-North Hopkins 60-14 over Apollo
Lexington Christian 49-14 over Shawnee
Walton-Verona 58-0 over Gallatin County
Beechwood 62-0 over St. Henry
North Oldham 49-6 over Valley
Atherton 49-0 over Butler
Trinity 73-0 over Ballard
Pulaski 66-31 over South Laurel
Lex Cath 45-0 over Mercer County
Breathitt County 48-0 over Morgan County
Bracken County 49-8 over Owen County
Madison Southern 43-15 over Montgomery County
Raceland 57-0 over Fairview
Scott County 55-18 over South Oldham
Spencer County 42-7 over Shelby County
Boyle County 42-0 over Russell County
Prestonsburg 54-14 over Floyd Central
Corbin 55-8 over Harlan County
Ashland 42-7 over Boyd County
West Carter 54-0 over Jackson County

I agree district football is broken. We need to go away from districts and use https://hsratings.com/ to determine all things playoffs.

I also agree the 1.35 anti-private school multiplier is a joke. It is an attack on choice.

I thought Julian had a solid career but he is ending on some sour notes.

High school football in KY definitely needs some change.

Districts need to go. In the past it worked fairly well but the gap between programs has only gotten larger over the years. Let programs play who they want.

Think of the programs at are forced to play teams way above what they are as a program. Those programs go out and play like programs. They have fairly successful years record wise and miss the playoffs. They think they got shafted but not hey still feel good about their experience. If they do earn the playoffs it means more.

The KHSAA needs to stop forcing teams to play that should not be on the field together.

The private school multiplier is ridiculous. Why? What problem does it solve?

The district play question is tougher. I would need to see a proposal for another option.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I agree district football is broken. We need to go away from districts and use https://hsratings.com/ to determine all things playoffs.

I also agree the 1.35 anti-private school multiplier is a joke. It is an attack on choice.

I thought Julian had a solid career but he is ending on some sour notes.

High school football in KY definitely needs some change.

This! Which the whole reason for districts was for the playoffs. With the RPI starting in round 2 next year, and district standing only mattering for round one. The need for districts is basically gone already. Might as well get rid of them completely and use RPI, hsratings, or something.

It is definitely an issue for plenty more districts than not. I know that many are okay with having six classes for football now and I have gotten more used to it for the time it’s gone on since. I truly believe if the state still had four classes, even five, the situation would be better.

@Colonels_Wear_Blue I would think you would be able with the multiplier. Much easier path for Covington Catholic in 5A than 4A.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, cowboy90 said:

@Colonels_Wear_Blue I would think you would be able with the multiplier. Much easier path for Covington Catholic in 5A than 4A.

When it comes to the multiplier, I don't particularly care about making Cov Cath's path easier or harder. I care more about the fact that private schools are being punished for playing by the exact same set of rules that public schools do, simply because some public schools choose to place additional constraints on themselves regarding where their students come from, and then they cry foul when private schools accept students from anywhere.

Honestly speaking, I would think public school parents would have a whole lot more complaints about the fact that they KHSAA has established, by rule, that private school kids are valued at 1.35 times more than the value placed on public school kids.

Ok, the blowouts are bad. But look at the list of teams that lost in those blowouts tonight. Who would want to schedule to play them? It would not help your RPI to play a school on the right side of the list. How would these teams get 10 games without exorbitant travel costs? Sure, the solid, good, and great teams will have takers because it will help with RPI But who would schedule a game next year against an opponent who finished 1-9 this year?

I’m not suggesting that we need sacrificial lambs, but districts at least give a framework to help a team fill out a complete schedule.

5 hours ago, 35Bird said:

Ok, the blowouts are bad. But look at the list of teams that lost in those blowouts tonight. Who would want to schedule to play them? It would not help your RPI to play a school on the right side of the list. How would these teams get 10 games without exorbitant travel costs? Sure, the solid, good, and great teams will have takers because it will help with RPI But who would schedule a game next year against an opponent who finished 1-9 this year?

I’m not suggesting that we need sacrificial lambs, but districts at least give a framework to help a team fill out a complete schedule.

You have given me a line of thought not previously considered.

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The private school multiplier is ridiculous. Why? What problem does it solve?

The district play question is tougher. I would need to see a proposal for another option.

I’m not sure if I thought of this before or there was a post about it, but I think the best way to do this is to essentially do away with district play.

turn the classes into east and west “conferences” and require that you have to play “4” (whatever amount you want here) games in your class (potentially east or west) to qualify for the playoffs. This allows more flexibility and more evenly matched teams to play each other year in and year out.

I think there may have to be a process to help schedule these games an example would be CAL in 3A these past 5 years or so. Who would want to play them in the regular season in 3A? Everyone on the message boards have always went to “avoid CAL” until they have to.

Potential solution could be 3 closest teams to your rating on your side of the state could be your “conference schedule “ the next year. I don’t know exactly how it would shake out I just think it would make for better football and less 60-0 blowouts.

14 minutes ago, Oldercoach said:

You have given me a line of thought not previously considered.

5 hours ago, 35Bird said:

Ok, the blowouts are bad. But look at the list of teams that lost in those blowouts tonight. Who would want to schedule to play them? It would not help your RPI to play a school on the right side of the list. How would these teams get 10 games without exorbitant travel costs? Sure, the solid, good, and great teams will have takers because it will help with RPI But who would schedule a game next year against an opponent who finished 1-9 this year?

I’m not suggesting that we need sacrificial lambs, but districts at least give a framework to help a team fill out a complete schedule.

I would say the top 10-15 in each class look at RPI and the bottom 15-20 are looking for even my match opponent so they can potentially go 5-5 in the regular season and aren’t truly looking ahead to the playoffs seriously. I would say some of those are views to programs looking for any amount of success in general.

1 hour ago, AppalachianTactician said:

I think there may have to be a process to help schedule these games an example would be CAL in 3A these past 5 years or so. Who would want to play them in the regular season in 3A? Everyone on the message boards have always went to “avoid CAL” until they have to.

I think this is a very legit issue for the top tier schools. Will those 15-20 top tier schools be able to fill their schedule? If they are able to fill their schedule and it is going to be more top quality opponents that become losses, RPI is going to kill them if RPI is what is used for the playoff brackets. Every loss is a blow to RPI even if it is against a top quality team..

I do not know the answer, but I know the lack of enforcement of the transfer rules across the board are a contributing factor. In Owensboro, if a kid grows up with demonstrating a mediocre or above level of ability, the family does whatever is necessary to get that child to Owensboro Catholic or OHS.

I cannot count the number of friends I’ve had over the years who’ve bragged about their ability to use “grandma’s address” with school documentation for these purposes.

It’s not a new problem. It was happening in McCracken Co years ago before consolidation. It’s a more pronounced problem as parents have become more prone to making life easy for “little Tommy” instead of teaching him to fight for his success.

12 hours ago, theguru said:

I agree district football is broken. We need to go away from districts and use https://hsratings.com/ to determine all things playoffs.

I also agree the 1.35 anti-private school multiplier is a joke. It is an attack on choice.

I thought Julian had a solid career but he is ending on some sour notes.

High school football in KY definitely needs some change.

I believe that multiplier had to be agreed to by vote of the Board of Control. It would be interesting to know how that vote tallied.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.