Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Saint Xavier

Featured Replies

  • Author
13 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

Wolfe is a great coach, but I'd like to see a younger coach brought in with some "energy". Also, Wolfe's Male teams took a dip in talent over the last few years. That could be for a number of reasons, but if he is struggling to get players in at Male then how will he be able to get players in at St. X? 

If they hire Wolfe, who is probably in his mid 50s, the athletic department will right back where they are now in 8-10 years, going through another coaching search. 

The talent dip at Male was due to new JCPS boundaries for Male. Any kid west of I-65 can't apply for Male which is reason he's leaving Male. The less talented Male upset Manual and was leading St. X at halftime of playoffs so pretty good coaching job this year. 

  • Replies 142
  • Views 26.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Congrats to Coach Wallace on his retirement.  2022 was a tough year for me. No team. Kevin let me be an analyst for him. Mondays watching them practice... impressive. Their culture, the way the a

  • I'd be fine with Coach Wolfe. He said in interview he would see where God wants him to go and a lot of praying goes on at St. X. 

  • Congrats Coach Wallace!  Thanks for all the memories.  Enjoy your retirement. 

Posted Images

  • Author
6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Would St. X consider any Trinity assistant coaches? 

I think they will select a coach that is a head coach and hopefully someone that has taken a team to a state championship. 

Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

I think they will select a coach that is a head coach and hopefully someone that has taken a team to a state championship. 

So another "Coach Wallace like hire" is a possibility meaning another successful Kentucky High School coach is someone X would consider?

  • Author
19 minutes ago, theguru said:

So another "Coach Wallace like hire" is a possibility meaning another successful Kentucky High School coach is someone X would consider?

What I would consider, but I don't know who applied for the job. Coach Landis who has been mentioned took Frederick Douglass to state championship so he would check that box. Coach Wolfe would definitely also.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

What I would consider, but I don't know who applied for the job. Coach Landis who has been mentioned took Frederick Douglass to state championship so he would check that box. Coach Wolfe would definitely also.

If I was X I would look hard at Coach Wolfe.  It would be plug and play, and he knows the landscape.  

1 hour ago, theguru said:

So another "Coach Wallace like hire" is a possibility meaning another successful Kentucky High School coach is someone X would consider?

Makes sense to me.

Someone mentioned if they hired an older guy in 8-10 years they would be looking again. In today's climate I would think 8-10 years is a good run. The "new" HS athletics burns guys out a little quicker than years ago in my opinion. From what I observe these guys never had a sustained break like coaches did 20-30 years ago.

25 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Someone mentioned if they hired an older guy in 8-10 years they would be looking again. In today's climate I would think 8-10 years is a good run. The "new" HS athletics burns guys out a little quicker than years ago in my opinion. From what I observe these guys never had a sustained break like coaches did 20-30 years ago.

I think the same thing about 8-10 years.  We are in a new era and 8-10 years is a long time and after that long any coach is going to have his detractors. 

2 hours ago, 9068 said:

Someone mentioned if they hired an older guy in 8-10 years they would be looking again. In today's climate I would think 8-10 years is a good run. The "new" HS athletics burns guys out a little quicker than years ago in my opinion. From what I observe these guys never had a sustained break like coaches did 20-30 years ago.

 

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I think the same thing about 8-10 years.  We are in a new era and 8-10 years is a long time and after that long any coach is going to have his detractors. 

Was thinking the same thing.  30 years at the same school seems almost crazy now a days.  

Joe B Hall said 10 years was more than enough at UK. Seems those words couldn’t be more truer in today’s landscape of high school basketball and football. It’s alot of energy retaining players instead of assuming or expecting your starting qb is coming back next year without issue.

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

11 hours ago, BEChargers said:

 

Was thinking the same thing.  30 years at the same school seems almost crazy now a days.  

I don't think when you hire a coach you expect the HC to be there for 30 years, but I also don't know if a school wants to keep transitioning every 5-8 years like St. X has done with their last two head coaches. 

Wolfe should be a top candidate, and JCPS has changed things with busing that has affected the Male football roster. But I just am not sure how well he's going to be able to compete with getting top players away from Trinity, Male, Manual, and CAL if this was an issue for him at Male when he will have to actively build a roster with no guarantee of any set kids from a set school. A state championship coach but doesn't mean he's the best option for what the school needs. Obviously just my opinion from the outside.

  • Author
11 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

I don't think when you hire a coach you expect the HC to be there for 30 years, but I also don't know if a school wants to keep transitioning every 5-8 years like St. X has done with their last two head coaches. 

Wolfe should be a top candidate, and JCPS has changed things with busing that has affected the Male football roster. But I just am not sure how well he's going to be able to compete with getting top players away from Trinity, Male, Manual, and CAL if this was an issue for him at Male when he will have to actively build a roster with no guarantee of any set kids from a set school. A state championship coach but doesn't mean he's the best option for what the school needs. Obviously just my opinion from the outside.

Getting players would be unknown from any coach from a public school because of their boundaries. Manual would be only one that can get whoever they want but have the academic restrictions. A private school coach would only have experience getting players without a feeder system. I do think players would want to play for Coach Wolfe since he's well known. 

Question for the STX guys on this thread.......Would you be happy if the new coach kept the same staff around? 

17 hours ago, LongTimeReader said:

Wolfe is a great coach, but I'd like to see a younger coach brought in with some "energy". Also, Wolfe's Male teams took a dip in talent over the last few years. That could be for a number of reasons, but if he is struggling to get players in at Male then how will he be able to get players in at St. X? 

If they hire Wolfe, who is probably in his mid 50s, the athletic department will right back where they are now in 8-10 years, going through another coaching search. 

Wolfe has a proven track record against the best teams in Jefferson County, including X and T.  He knows the landscape.  He is a proven commodity in the Louisville area.  if someone is hired from outside Jefferson Co., they will have a learning curve.  The football landscape in the Louisville area is different.  I would guess that Coach Wallace would say the same thing about his transition to X.

He is by no means old.  

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.