Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1976 Lloyd Memorial High School Juggernauts

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe Bill Botts played small college football. His younger brother Mike was an even better athlete, got a scholarship and played at Louisville. Their sister Jackie Botts was an excellent basketball player for Lloyd in the early 80's.

Bill played at Centre College and then coached with Red Dog at Simon Kenton.  Good coach and person.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Runcible Owl
    Runcible Owl

    I knew some of these players and coaches from various Erlanger Lions teams in the way back, when Tichenor Middle School was simply known as Erlanger Elementary.  Mid '60s to late '70s was the fir

  • This is something that gets lost in translation of games prior to the mid-90s or so. There was just a whole lot less throwing and a whole lot more "3 yards and a cloud of dust." Games that ended 14-0

  • Runcible Owl
    Runcible Owl

    The aforementioned cover ~  

Posted Images

I remember this team and they were like a machine.  A bunch of blue collar types that went out and just mauled people.  Still remember going to the gym for the celebration.  

Randy Cooper’s nephew Michael Sammons is the head football coach at Raceland I believe.   Great principal and well deserved honor of his name on Cooper HS.  Lived right across the street from where Cooper HS now is. 

I went to many of those games as an elementary school student with my dad. If I remember correctly, Lloyd beat Newport Catholic on basically a hail mary at the end of the game. I can still see the play in my mind...  

1 hour ago, fatsnbul said:

I went to many of those games as an elementary school student with my dad. If I remember correctly, Lloyd beat Newport Catholic on basically a hail mary at the end of the game. I can still see the play in my mind...  

New Cath was ranked No. 1 in 3A and No. 4 overall at the time in the Litkenhous Ratings. Big win.

  • Author
4 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

New Cath was ranked No. 1 in 3A and No. 4 overall at the time in the Litkenhous Ratings. Big win.

So interesting and Lloyd had a lot of tough games in NKY that year. 

On 2/20/2025 at 4:20 PM, Jack of all Trades said:

I remember this team and they were like a machine.  A bunch of blue collar types that went out and just mauled people.  Still remember going to the gym for the celebration.  

Looking at that roster that was posted they had some good size to go with that blue collar mentality. Only 10 people 5'9 and under.

11 hours ago, theguru said:

So interesting and Lloyd had a lot of tough games in NKY that year. 

Their point differential in the playoffs and State I think speaks volumes to how good some of the other NKY teams were that played Lloyd tough.

On 2/20/2025 at 1:00 AM, Honey Badger said:

Yeah interesting time period. Pretty sure Molitor actually went to Morehead as a DB. Not sure exactly what all years they overlapped with each other but Phil Simms NY Giants Superbowl winning QB and MVP was at Morelead St. then also. They were there at the same time with LB David French out of Western High School who originally started out playing at the University of Tennessee. French ended up coaching freshmam football at Lloyd for a long time with Dave Smith as his assistant head coach and OC. French went on to coach at Walton Verona during some of the programs earlier years after he was "let go" by Lloyd for some reasons unknown to man kind. I think Smith then went and coached a few years on Beechwoods freshman staff. Smith and French had a lot of good teams while coaching freshmam ball at Lloyd. 

French had a nice run at WV as LB's coach and then DC. He was a good guy!

21 hours ago, The sarge said:

French had a nice run at WV as LB's coach and then DC. He was a good guy!

Didn't realize he ever got the DC title but it makes total sense. He had an unmatched unique love for the defensive side of the football since a very early age. He could care less about offense. He woke up, ate, drank and slept defense. @The sarge You are correct very good guy. He is even a better person than he was a player or coach. He is retired living in Tennessee now going fishing everyday that the weather doesn't stop, which isn't many.

On 2/20/2025 at 2:37 PM, Voice of Reason said:

I believe Bill Botts played small college football. His younger brother Mike was an even better athlete, got a scholarship and played at Louisville. Their sister Jackie Botts was an excellent basketball player for Lloyd in the early 80's.

Bill was my RA at Centre when I was a freshman. His room was right next to mine, top floor of Nevin. We were teammates. He was good. I was scout team QB. 

 

Great guy. When I tore my ACL, he was super to me and really helped me navigate that time. 

I got a chance this weekend to ask someone from Erlanger what they remembered about  that 76' team and the first thing they said was when Lloyd played at home it was the place to be it was like there was a rockstar in town and everyone had to be there to see it.

On 2/21/2025 at 12:28 PM, fatsnbul said:

I went to many of those games as an elementary school student with my dad. If I remember correctly, Lloyd beat Newport Catholic on basically a hail mary at the end of the game. I can still see the play in my mind...  

 

On 2/21/2025 at 2:08 PM, Runcible Owl said:

New Cath was ranked No. 1 in 3A and No. 4 overall at the time in the Litkenhous Ratings. Big win.

 

On 2/21/2025 at 2:13 PM, theguru said:

So interesting and Lloyd had a lot of tough games in NKY that year. 

I think the N. Ky games weren't all closely contested as the scores look except the New Cath game. Yes, Lloyd completed a 60 or 70 yard pass with maybe a minute to go to get the win against  New Cath. The QB for New Cath was long time N. Ky. basketball official Tim O'Hara. Any relation to Cooper QB Cam O'Hara?

6 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

I got a chance this weekend to ask someone from Erlanger what they remembered about  that 76' team and the first thing they said was when Lloyd played at home it was the place to be it was like there was a rockstar in town and everyone had to be there to see it.

Lloyd's stadium was packed for every game including that big concrete area between the athletic building and the bleachers. Lloyd's band had 100 members and was fantastic. They filled the field from 20 to 20 when they performed at halftime. The 70's and early 80's were the golden age for Lloyd school wide and across all sports.

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Lloyd's stadium was packed for every game including that big concrete area between the athletic building and the bleachers. Lloyd's band had 100 members and was fantastic. They filled the field from 20 to 20 when they performed at halftime. The 70's and early 80's were the golden age for Lloyd school wide and across all sports.

Yes the band! That was the next thing they mentioned that the band itself was insane. I think that's kind of where their rockstar description came from. It was a whole event to go to not just a football game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.