Pitino vs. Smith UK Stats

Eagle 8

Why are these facts so useless? They are very interesting, and show a major difference.

Because I'm not a UK fan based on the history of the program. I could really care less if they win every game or no games. I would still root for them every time and support whoever the coach is. So the statistics are useless IMO.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not follow Kentucky basketball before Pitino? I think you can throw his first year out. His first year was actually overacheiving...

I've been following UK alot longer than Pitino...I go back to Rupps later years even and to be honest Joe B and Eddie S were alot worse than Tubby. Why not compare his stats to theres....UK basketball has been a power in college basketball for alot more years than just Pitinos stint and as many have pointed out, not many, if any, could have the run Pitino had. Whats the joke is that some foolish fans who haven't been following UK that long only know of what Rick did and thinks that just any and everybody should be able to do the same and thats not reality..I think Tubby could do a better job recruiting and thats where Pitino has an advantage..He had better overall players, but, as far as getting the most out of his players and jelling them into a unit and the overall X's and O's, i'll take Tubby on my sideline anytime...As far as the points per game, what do you expect...Pitino coached teams lived and died by the 3 pointers early in his tenure because had little in the way of an inside game and once he started getting the better athletes, relied on the press and still played the 3 ball...Tubby has recruited many supposed 3 pt shooters to try and open up the middle, but, theres not too many who have panned out the way Cameron Mills, Richie Farmer, Travis Ford, Tony Delk and a few others did. You play the cards you're dealt and play to your teams strength and like it or not, the run and gun game hasn't been that in alot of those years....

I've been following UK alot longer than Pitino...I go back to Rupps later years even and to be honest Joe B and Eddie S were alot worse than Tubby. Why not compare his stats to theres....UK basketball has been a power in college basketball for alot more years than just Pitinos stint and as many have pointed out, not many, if any, could have the run Pitino had. Whats the joke is that some foolish fans who haven't been following UK that long only know of what Rick did and thinks that just any and everybody should be able to do the same and thats not reality.

GREAT post.

It boggles one's mind that some TrueBlue UK fans would rather never see another Final Four appearance or another championship banner hung in the rafters of Rupp and also be content with regular 10 loss seasons than to admit that Pitino was a much better coach for UK than Tubby. Simply amazing.

.....btw, I stated in my opening post this was for 'discussion purposes only'. Absolutely no reason to bash me for my stats and suggest I follow another team. That's sorta childish, don't you think?

If all you had posted was stats without all the cute little comments yes. All the cuteness opens you up for bashing in my opinion. Isn't Rick the one that said Tubby was the only coach he would recommend for the position.

I've been following UK alot longer than Pitino...I go back to Rupps later years even and to be honest Joe B and Eddie S were alot worse than Tubby. Why not compare his stats to theres....UK basketball has been a power in college basketball for alot more years than just Pitinos stint and as many have pointed out, not many, if any, could have the run Pitino had. Whats the joke is that some foolish fans who haven't been following UK that long only know of what Rick did and thinks that just any and everybody should be able to do the same and thats not reality..I think Tubby could do a better job recruiting and thats where Pitino has an advantage..He had better overall players, but, as far as getting the most out of his players and jelling them into a unit and the overall X's and O's, i'll take Tubby on my sideline anytime...As far as the points per game, what do you expect...Pitino coached teams lived and died by the 3 pointers early in his tenure because had little in the way of an inside game and once he started getting the better athletes, relied on the press and still played the 3 ball...Tubby has recruited many supposed 3 pt shooters to try and open up the middle, but, theres not too many who have panned out the way Cameron Mills, Richie Farmer, Travis Ford, Tony Delk and a few others did. You play the cards you're dealt and play to your teams strength and like it or not, the run and gun game hasn't been that in alot of those years....

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Great post, My guess is that some of the posters/members on here are not old enough to remember the latter Rupp years or the Joe B. years very well if at all. Their main memories of U.K. b.b. are from the Pitino years.

:thumb: Excellent!!! :thumb:

I was just trying to say that it is totally different to throw Ricks first year out. UK was in a mess when he first came here, and a 14-14 season was overacheiving.

as far as getting the most out of his players and jelling them into a unit and the overall X's and O's, i'll take Tubby on my sideline anytime

Really? Tubby did good with Bogans, Prince, Hawkins, Fitch, Daniels, Hayes, and Moss. Thats 7 players in 10 years. That doesn't cut it.

I think he's a phenomenal X's and O's coach, but I don't know how much he has past that.

He undoubtedly has trouble recruiting, and if you think he's good and getting guys to play as a team I don't know what you're on. He's so bad at it that he brought in a shrink last year.

And getting the most out of players? I can think of MAYBE 10 guys in his 10 seasons that he's gotten the most out of, and 1 a year won't cut it.

I think it all stems from his lack of charisma. He doesn't seem to be able to get in the heads of top tier players. He can't connect with them on their level.

If he could pull in a good up and coming coach for an assistant, he may be able to overcome his own shortcomings, but he hasn't done that.