Pitino vs. Smith UK Stats

Eagle 8

For the record, excellent research Eagle 8....impressive info. You may also want to note, that Pitino is the only coach to take 3 different teams to the Final Four, I believe....

Even additional firepower, as to his coaching greatness and per this information, not much of a comparison to Coach Smith.

By the way, isn't Pitino's Louisville team 2-4 against UK's Smith team....:sssh:

Does that factor into the comparison at all. I may be wrong in those numbers, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

...and for discussion sake, what is the defensive pts allowed totals, over the same time period, where the pts scores is mentioned....just curious.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, excellent research Eagle 8....impressive info. You may also want to note, that Pitino is the only coach to take 3 different teams to the Final Four, I believe....

Even additional firepower, as to his coaching greatness and per this information, not much of a comparison to Coach Smith.

By the way, isn't Pitino's Louisville team 2-4 against UK's Smith team....:sssh:

Does that factor into the comparison at all. I may be wrong in those numbers, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

...and for discussion sake, what is the defensive pts allowed totals, over the same time period, where the pts scores is mentioned....just curious.

Maybe an average margin of victory total would be the most accurate.

But, seeing as how Tubby was most dominant when the SEC wasn't, and that Pitino coached in an era with plenty of SEC participation deep into the tournament, that might not be accurate, either.

But, seeing as how Tubby was most dominant when the SEC wasn't, and that Pitino coached in an era with plenty of SEC participation deep into the tournament, that might not be accurate, either.

Sure you could always nitpick about one playing a stronger schedule or whatever...however, I suspect that even with that the margin of victory stats would favor Rick. I'm just guessing there though, I could be totally wrong. But, I'm sure someone will get them for us at some point...:D

Perhaps and probably most accurate...but the original comparison offered, was points per game under each Coach....which we all would certainly agree, there are contrasting differences in offensive styles.

Sure you could always nitpick about one playing a stronger schedule or whatever...however, I suspect that even with that the margin of victory stats would favor Rick. I'm just guessing there though, I could be totally wrong. But, I'm sure someone will get them for us at some point...:D
I'm not doing it, if THAT's what you mean.:p

I'm not doing it, if THAT's what you mean.:p

Not at all, but I wouldn't mind if you did. I just mean that someone will do it because it will be evidence one way or the other to favor one of these coaches...never mind...that would only work in a setting where there are debates about which coach is better...:eek:...I forgot where I was at for a moment. :D

Perhaps and probably most accurate...but the original comparison offered, was points per game under each Coach....which we all would certainly agree, there are contrasting differences in offensive styles.

That's a nice way of saying it...:thumb:

It boggles one's mind that some TrueBlue UK fans would rather never see another Final Four appearance or another championship banner hung in the rafters of Rupp and also be content with regular 10 loss seasons than to admit that Pitino was a much better coach for UK than Tubby. Simply amazing.

.....btw, I stated in my opening post this was for 'discussion purposes only'. Absolutely no reason to bash me for my stats and suggest I follow another team. That's sorta childish, don't you think?

It boggles one's mind that some TrueBlue UK fans would rather never see another Final Four appearance or another championship banner hung in the rafters of Rupp and also be content with regular 10 loss seasons than to admit that Pitino was a much better coach for UK than Tubby. Simply amazing.
You make it sound like if UK fans could get together and agree on it, it would change something.

Pitino at UK was a great great situation. WE DIDN'T FIRE HIM! HE QUIT!!! Are you saying that you want Rick back now, I'm pretty sure he already has a job? If you want to compare things, compare his numbers at UL compared to UK...

I've yet to see a person say Tubby has had a better stay at UK than Pitino did. If someone was making that argument, then your stats may be relevant.