Pitino vs. Smith UK Stats

Eagle 8

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following UK alot longer than Pitino...I go back to Rupps later years even and to be honest Joe B and Eddie S were alot worse than Tubby. Why not compare his stats to theres....UK basketball has been a power in college basketball for alot more years than just Pitinos stint and as many have pointed out, not many, if any, could have the run Pitino had. Whats the joke is that some foolish fans who haven't been following UK that long only know of what Rick did and thinks that just any and everybody should be able to do the same and thats not reality..I think Tubby could do a better job recruiting and thats where Pitino has an advantage..He had better overall players, but, as far as getting the most out of his players and jelling them into a unit and the overall X's and O's, i'll take Tubby on my sideline anytime...As far as the points per game, what do you expect...Pitino coached teams lived and died by the 3 pointers early in his tenure because had little in the way of an inside game and once he started getting the better athletes, relied on the press and still played the 3 ball...Tubby has recruited many supposed 3 pt shooters to try and open up the middle, but, theres not too many who have panned out the way Cameron Mills, Richie Farmer, Travis Ford, Tony Delk and a few others did. You play the cards you're dealt and play to your teams strength and like it or not, the run and gun game hasn't been that in alot of those years....

Excellent post.

I would add that those who pine for the days of Pitino make the assumption, an unrealistic assumption that the past 8 years would have been identical to 96-98. Not sure Pitino has EVER proved he could have a long sustained run at one school.

You all are complaing about Tubby, but would you rather have His Kentucky or Pitino's Louisville team this year.

Don't throw in "All" are complaining about Tubby. Here is one that is not and you will find more. The ones that are just make more of a point to voice their opinion and it almost always after a U.K. loss. :D

Really? Tubby did good with Bogans, Prince, Hawkins, Fitch, Daniels, Hayes, and Moss. Thats 7 players in 10 years. That doesn't cut it.

I think he's a phenomenal X's and O's coach, but I don't know how much he has past that.

He undoubtedly has trouble recruiting, and if you think he's good and getting guys to play as a team I don't know what you're on. He's so bad at it that he brought in a shrink last year.

And getting the most out of players? I can think of MAYBE 10 guys in his 10 seasons that he's gotten the most out of, and 1 a year won't cut it.

I think it all stems from his lack of charisma. He doesn't seem to be able to get in the heads of top tier players. He can't connect with them on their level.

If he could pull in a good up and coming coach for an assistant, he may be able to overcome his own shortcomings, but he hasn't done that.

Oh what a short memory we have!! Tubby pulls in the #1 recruiting class in the nation just 3 short years ago. He pulled in the #3 center (Morris), #2 SG (Crawford), #24 SG (Bradley), and #6 PG (Rondo).

TUBBY....TUBBY....TUBBY.....TUBBY!

I am not getting involved with the Pitinio/Tubby stats junk, I am just going to support Tubby Smith as long as he is head coach at UK, because thats what good UK fans should do. There are many schools around the country that would love to have him, and just because parity in college basketball causes Kentucky to come back to Earth along with many other schools, it doesn't mean Cats fans have a right to bash the heck out of Tubby. The national champion this year will probably have 5-7 losses, and its because parity in college basketball is here. It is tougher to win today than it ever has, so how about we support Coach Smith as long as he is here, and not try to bring him and the program down. This will be my only post in this forum, so don't try to argue with me, this is just my opinion.

I am not getting involved with the Pitinio/Tubby stats junk, I am just going to support Tubby Smith as long as he is head coach at UK, because thats what good UK fans should do. There are many schools around the country that would love to have him, and just because parity in college basketball causes Kentucky to come back to Earth along with many other schools, it doesn't mean Cats fans have a right to bash the heck out of Tubby. The national champion this year will probably have 5-7 losses, and its because parity in college basketball is here. It is tougher to win today than it ever has, so how about we support Coach Smith as long as he is here, and not try to bring him and the program down. This will be my only post in this forum, so don't try to argue with me, this is just my opinion.

I agree with you!No Arguement from Me!;)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: AMEN brother Romeo!!!:ylsuper: