Pitino vs. Smith UK Stats

Eagle 8

I haven't entered this thread yet, but allow me to offer this: It seems to be a perception that Pitino is an up-tempo (read high-scoring) and Tubby is a slow down (read low scoring) coach. I know it's just one game, but UK scored 52 points in the second half today, one fewer than UL scored the whole game. :sssh:

That is great observation.:thumb:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarification, I didn't now who the poster was a fan of. So That is wrong. I have said many times on here that like all fans I question some of Tubby's moves - mostly in the recruiting dept. and some of the decisions and/or misses there, with the exception of this years freshmen class. I happen to believe that Tubby is an excellent coach and that U.K. could do a lot worse in that coaching dept., a lot worse. I "trounce" as you call it on people for bashing Tubby bc they are doing the same thing in bashing him and "trouncing" on posters supporting him. I guess that is o.k. though.:rolleyes: I post my opinions and others post theirs. Sometimes there is a debate and sometimes there is not. No Problem (at least not with me).

:thumb:

Just for clarification, I didn't now who the poster was a fan of. So That is wrong. I have said many times on here that like all fans I question some of Tubby's moves - mostly in the recruiting dept. and some of the decisions and/or misses there, with the exception of this years freshmen class. I happen to believe that Tubby is an excellent coach and that U.K. could do a lot worse in that coaching dept., a lot worse. I "trounce" as you call it on people for bashing Tubby bc they are doing the same thing in bashing him and "trouncing" on posters supporting him. I guess that is o.k. though.:rolleyes: I post my opinions and others post theirs. Sometimes there is a debate and sometimes there is not. No Problem (at least not with me).

I just hate the "I'm sure UofL would love to have you" whenever a fan questions Tubby. It happens on here a LOT.

Here's the updated stats comparing Rick and Tubby's coaching carreers at UK.....just for discussion purposes only. ;)

Percentage of games ranked in top 5:

Tubby 16%

Pitino 59% (53% if you include probation year).

Number of games in top 5:

Tubby in 326 games ranked 54 games in top 5

Pitino in 269 games ranked 142 games in top 5

Number of Home losses:

Tubby 18 (about to add a whole lot more)

Pitino 5 (7 if you include probation year).

10+ loss seasons:

Tubby 4 (in 7 years - soon to be 5 in 8 ).

Pitino 0 (1 if you include the probation year).

Average number of losses per year:

Tubby 7.9 (about to push that up over 8 )

Pitino 4.8 (throwing out the 1st year)

Games played as #1 ranking: Pitino 10 Tubby 4

Games played as #2 ranking: Pitino 44 Tubby 14

Games played as #3 ranking: Pitino 33 Tubby 10

Games played as #4 ranking: Pitino 18 Tubby 15

Games played as #5 ranking: Pitino 37 Tubby 11

Total games with top 5 ranking:

Pitino 142 Tubby 54

Team Turmoils:

Tubby 2

Pitino 0

Transfers out of the Program:

Tubby 14 (with many more trying to)

Pitino 7

NBA 1st round draft picks:

Tubby 2

Pitino 10

Rick Pitino’s 1st year 14-14 probation team averaged more than 10 ppg than ANY Tubby Smith team except 2. It averaged 8 more than those two.

Rick Pitino - Points per Game

1989-90 88.82

1990-91 85.89

1991-92 85.72

1992-93 87.50

1993-94 86.88

1994-95 87.39

1995-96 91.44

1996-97 83.13

Tubby Smith takes over

1997-98 80.08

1998-99 75.41

1999-00 69.09

2000-01 79.79

2001-02 76.88

2002-03 77.28

2003-04 73.91

2004-05 73.62

2005-06 70.77

2006-07 72.32

Pitino 5 Final Fours (3 at Kentucky)

Tubby 1 Final Four (never been to a FF with his own players in his career)

Pitino 2 Championship games at Kentucky

Tubby 1 (none with players he recruited)

Pitino 22-5 (.783) in the NCAA tournament at Kentucky

Tubby 23-8 (.663)

Pitino beat 11 teams seeded 5th or higher in 6 NCAA Tournaments.

Tubby has beaten 4 teams seeded 5th or higher in 9 NCAA Tournaments, and just one since his first season at Kentucky.

I just now decided to read this thread because I'm bored. Everything I highlighted is basically the same stat from different angles. Fluff, if you ask me.

I also think it's nice how you take away (Rick's record in Season 1) and add (Rick's Final Fours at other schools) at your discretion to make your stats more "shocking".

Highlighting team scoring averages doesn't tell me anything but we experienced a change in style and pace. And that makes Tubby a bad coach?

So get your panties out of a bunch. Tubby isn't going anywhere. And I, for one, am fine with that.

Thanks Eagle 8... Now I know who the Real UK fans are...

Did someone pay you to put up these pointless stats, if not they should cause I really had a nice little laugh at your post and how when someone replies to you message you have little to say but add the comment of "need I say more".... Get aload of this guy...:lol:

This crap drives me up the walls. Someone can't criticize a coach who gets paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO WIN BASKETBALL GAMES??

Just because people criticize Tubby, doesn't mean they aren't "real UK fans."

Its hilarious on here. Either you hate everything Tubby does or you'd love him even if he went 0-30. There is a middle ground, and Tubby has some clear flaws. Don't trounce people for pointing them out.

Any other coach cant be criticized on BGPREPS, except for Tubby Smith. Its a joke.

I just now decided to read this thread because I'm bored. Everything I highlighted is basically the same stat from different angles. Fluff, if you ask me.

I also think it's nice how you take away (Rick's record in Season 1) and add (Rick's Final Fours at other schools) at your discretion to make your stats more "shocking".

Highlighting team scoring averages doesn't tell me anything but we experienced a change in style and pace. And that makes Tubby a bad coach?

So get your panties out of a bunch. Tubby isn't going anywhere. And I, for one, am fine with that.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Great Post!!!:banana: :banana:

I just hate the "I'm sure UofL would love to have you" whenever a fan questions Tubby. It happens on here a LOT.

O.K. then, They can go to U.T. - Fla. - I.U. - UNC - Duke - LSU - you get the idea any other school that they might find it easier to be a fan or support them more. Beside the obvious fact that I love U.K. I support Tubby bc he is our coach. I just get sick of all the negativity:rolleyes: that some seem to continually post. I agree with some comments on previous threads on this in that if they could just start a "Tubby Bashers" thread and that way they could have one of their own and bash away. I would not go on one like that and leave it to those that want to bash him. Maybe some others wouldn't either. Maybe some of the ones that continually bas him could start a thread and title it "All Tubby Bashing Here" or somethinmg to that effect.,:D Another thing that gets me is they only post after a loss :D Is Tubby a bad coach when we lose and a good coach when we win??:confused: :lol:

I will continue to support Tubby and when the time comes that he leaves the program then I will support the next coach as well. You have a right to post what you want and where you want and I respect that but just remember other people do also.

I take it you enjoy regular 10 loss seasons and early exits from the Big Dance and really get a big enjoy sitting in front of your TV watching other college programs battle for the trophy in April??........ and you're wanting me to believe you're thrilled about Tubbyball? Yeah, right. :creepy:

Big Dance? hmm isnt that something that Rick Pitino's team wasn't even a part of last year? I guess if the NIT does it for you than thats fine, but id rather watch an early exit any day than my team not be in it... And also people want to talk about Pitino and his recruits vs Tubby's going to the NBA...Since Rick came to UL who has more?...Pretty sure Tubby wins that battle easy...Not saying Tubby is a great recruiter but dont compare him with Rick when he isnt doing anything either:flame:

The face of college basketball has changed a lot since Rick's days at UK. Heck, look at him now, that proves it. Look at a team like George Mason making it to the FINAL FOUR. Every week, nationwide, there are many more upsets than there used to be. Many of you who want Tubby gone grew up during the "Golden Years" of UK basketball and want to go back to that. Don't get me wrong, those days were amazing and I wish Rick had never left. However, he did go, and now Tubby is our coach, one who I think is a very good one at that. Don't get me wrong, I shake my head at some of the decisions he makes but you got to learn to live with it. There are only a handful of guys who I'd rather have on our bench than him and there's no guarantee that we could get any of them. One thing I'll never understand is how some of you are almost happy when our team loses because it lets you complain about Tubby more. Why don't we support who we got while we got him and when it's time to move on, we'll support the next guy.

The face of college basketball has changed a lot since Rick's days at UK. Heck, look at him now, that proves it. Look at a team like George Mason making it to the FINAL FOUR. Every week, nationwide, there are many more upsets than there used to be. Many of you who want Tubby gone grew up during the "Golden Years" of UK basketball and want to go back to that. Don't get me wrong, those days were amazing and I wish Rick had never left. However, he did go, and now Tubby is our coach, one who I think is a very good one at that. Don't get me wrong, I shake my head at some of the decisions he makes but you got to learn to live with it. There are only a handful of guys who I'd rather have on our bench than him and there's no guarantee that we could get any of them. One thing I'll never understand is how some of you are almost happy when our team loses because it lets you complain about Tubby more. Why don't we support who we got while we got him and when it's time to move on, we'll support the next guy.

Great Post again OR! This is one of the things that I have been trying to say all along.:thumb: