Cooper 81 Highlands 46 (9th Region)

10 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

Very impressed with the depth from the Cooper bench. 22 points (16 from the 5 guys in the normal 10 man rotation) really highlights there is not a huge drop off when the starters come out. 

Coach Sully has the team playing as one unit finally now that the entire team is fully healthy fully and demanding defense, defense and oh yeah, more defense! 

Mr. Sixer rn, "...

bouncy.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Mr. Sixer rn, "...

bouncy.gif

😂 I resemble that remark!! I did try say months ago that this team was pretty deep and at full strength they could make some noise. Only gets harder from here though…..

• Like 5

Cooper is playing the best of any team in the 9th right now. They will always play solid defense. Only an off-shooting night keeps the Jags from Rupp. If they get beat, it will be a last-possession ending. Good luck to the Jags!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StraightShooter said:

Cooper is playing the best of any team in the 9th right now.

Just like this past football season, they are peaking at the right time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Maybe the pendulum has swung back. 

Football school, basketball school, football school.  

Uh, they watched the state championship game just like all the other 5A teams but two.

6 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Don't forget we had a nice little run 4-5 years ago or so when everyone joked it might be a baseball school with the back to back State Runner Up years.....  Then we also had back to back State runs in Boys soccer.....  It just seems very cyclical, where do the athletes gravitate too....  Unfortunately for the last 2 years basketball has taken a back seat, to football for now.  

Highlands playoff opponents in football were pretty average until Cooper don't you think? You never mention track and they're always good.

33 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Highlands playoff opponents in football were pretty average until Cooper don't you think? You never mention track and they're always good.

Absolutely the opponents were SOOOO easy, Highlands Freshmen team probably could have gotten those teams to a running clock.  Then we ran into Cooper who just absolutely manhandled the Birds killing them with such a lopsided score of 17-15!  O the misery!

And yes totally forgot, my mistake, track is always great!  Great program, no idea how they do it year in and year out....  Great staff up there getting these kids Track skills to be top notch.

I am looking forward to the next few seasons from the basketball program, making it to the finals and winning the JV & Fresh Tournament makes me have some nice expectations in the years to come.  I know there are going to be some people that will state winning those titles has NO Correlation to how the Varsity program will go....but I'll take winning the titles over having dismal records getting crushed by NKY schools at that level.

As always, #GO BIRDS!!!!

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Absolutely the opponents were SOOOO easy, Highlands Freshmen team probably could have gotten those teams to a running clock.  Then we ran into Cooper who just absolutely manhandled the Birds killing them with such a lopsided score of 17-15!  O the misery!

And yes totally forgot, my mistake, track is always great!  Great program, no idea how they do it year in and year out....  Great staff up there getting these kids Track skills to be top notch.

I am looking forward to the next few seasons from the basketball program, making it to the finals and winning the JV & Fresh Tournament makes me have some nice expectations in the years to come.  I know there are going to be some people that will state winning those titles has NO Correlation to how the Varsity program will go....but I'll take winning the titles over having dismal records getting crushed by NKY schools at that level.

As always, #GO BIRDS!!!!

Track does well because they have a Bellevue guy coaching them .......and they have good track athletes who enjoy it!

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

As always, #GO BIRDS!!!!

Some times other Northern Kentucky schools are just BETTER. I know that's a bitter pill for a Bluebird to swallow......a little bird humor there lol.

14 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Some times other Northern Kentucky schools are just BETTER. I know that's a bitter pill for a Bluebird to swallow......a little bird humor there lol.

IMG_4059.gif.eee27a7820f648f43c011be08a9a28aa.gif

You can’t rattle me!!!

#GO BIRDS!!!

9068 is all over the place. Highlands made the state semis for the first time in how long and hosted Cooper because they beat them in the regular season. They should’ve had the easier path of the two to the state semis. 

No clue what track and football have to do with this either. Some times schools just don’t have the talent to win the region, which is very often. I’m not sure what the big deal is with this loss.

• Like 2