Gonzaga 89 Kentucky 85

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

No changes?

Defensively what changes were made? Continually getting beat on the high screen and getting posted up seven or eight straight times? Zero changes were made, no zone looks, no trapping, nothing.

5 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I guess shame on Cal for drawing up the play he did (Onyenso cluttered it all) but we’re just going to continually praise Sheppard’s decision making yet act like he is incapable of seeing that wasn’t going to work in the moment? If the lob wasn’t there it was supposed to go to Reeves at the top of the key.

You have to practice those last second possessions and obviously that hadn’t happened so why risk that, let your hot hand go make something happen.

26 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Thought it was fitting UK went to a zone on a BLOB and Edwards left his guy in the corner open by about 15 feet. They missed the open look but it led to the easy putback.

The downside of zoning.  A team that struggles on the glass will give up a lot of second chance points. 

I'm fine with zoning, but man principles are required to play it well.  In other words, I don't see ir being a long-term solution.  But you can mix it in some for the duration of a game.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

You have to practice those last second possessions and obviously that hadn’t happened so why risk that, let your hot hand go make something happen.

It was a read play.  Sheppard had 3 options.  Take it to the hole, lob to the big, or hit Reeves popping out near the perimeter.  The ball was in the right hands with multiple options and it didn't work out. 

9 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Defensively what changes were made? Continually getting beat on the high screen and getting posted up seven or eight straight times? Zero changes were made, no zone looks, no trapping, nothing.

On this, I agree.  The last several minutes of the second half was us getting punished in the paint.  I didn't see much, other than personnel changes, enacted by the bench.

12 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Tweaks in the man. For one, off side defender started putting a body on the big man rolling to the basket.

• Confused 1

The excuses for Cal and him remaining at Ky are getting thinner and thinner by the second. This team hasn’t improved any this season and tournament time soon awaiting, watching other teams hitting their peak now is exactly the way winning programs conduct their business, not happening at Ky yet evidently the administration and still several Cal excuse makers are satisfied with mediocrity.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

It was a read play.  Sheppard had 3 options.  Take it to the hole, lob to the big, or hit Reeves popping out near the perimeter.  The ball was in the right hands with multiple options and it didn't work out. 

Reed at no time during that possession acted like he was going to the basket, stopped early on the wing and was going to pass, so don’t think he had a scoring option for himself.

31 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

I would say it was more about personnel and maybe the wrong people executing the play (blame Calipari for that). The chances UK hasn’t practiced that look (or similar action) in practice is zero percent. That was about as basic as it comes. 

3 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

Reed at no time during that possession acted like he was going to the basket, stopped early on the wing and was going to pass, so don’t think he had a scoring option for himself.

It was though he maybe wasn’t looking for his shot. He just misread it. 

• Like 1