Willie Williams to UL?

Cdirty107

Why did Georgia, Florida, Florida St. & South Carolina all pass on him when he attempted to get accepted there before visiting UL?
Because Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina are hotbed recruiting states, they don't have to work as hard at recruiting or have to take risk on players.

It is a risk. But a good one to take given Louisville recent track record.

If he messes up when he is here, please give him the boot.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this on ESPN, and I knew the BGP crew would be all over it. Sadly, I'm not surprised how negatively most have been to react and criticize UofL for this move. I am not a Louisville fan, but I applaud their decision of giving this kid a chance. Especially after reading the information RockPride posted, if that is in fact true. If so, it appears Williams has moved away from the things that dragged him down in the past, gotten off to a new start, and deserves a chance for a college to open up and let him play. If he worked hard enough for a LA JUCO to impress their Coach/Sheriff, then he'd have earned his right to come to a school, in my book. He was a kid, and he made a lot of mistakes, something I'm sure everyone can lay claim to, but from RockPride's accounts, those mistakes are in his past. Slap a zero tolerance policy on him and see if his ways have truly changed. If they have, UofL has a very good LB for two years. If he makes one mistake, he's gone, and chalk it up to a failed experiment. But, from this point, it seems like an experiment worth taking. Just my two cents.

BTW, his stat line in HS is amazing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2742623

Former Miami LB Williams transferring to Louisville

Linebacker Willie Williams, once one of the nation's top recruits who was controversially accepted into Miami in 2004 despite off-field troubles before and during his recruitment, has transferred to Louisville, a university source said Thursday.

Williams has been attending West Los Angeles Community College in Culver City, Calif., where he played last season. He is expected to enroll during the summer and be eligible to play outside linebacker under new Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe in the coming season.

Williams redshirted in 2004 and saw action in 10 Hurricanes games in 2005 as a backup outside linebacker and on special teams. He asked then-coach Larry Coker for his release from the Miami program prior to the 2006 season.

Williams is being admitted to Louisville under the recommendation of athletics director Tom Jurich, who personally conducted a background check on Williams.

The linebacker pleaded no contest in 2004 following incidents in Gainesville, Fla., during his recruiting visit to the University of Florida. Williams was facing a felony count of setting off fire extinguishers at his hotel and a misdemeanor battery charge for hugging a woman without consent.

For each plea, Williams received a year's probation as well as community service. He was arrested 11 times in a five-year span from 2000-04, mainly on theft and burglary charges. He already was on probation for a 2002 felony burglary charge.