Steelers 26 Browns 22

Who Wins?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/19/2023 at 04:00 AM

5 hours ago, spindoc said:

Jason McCourty and their whole crew at GMFB.  I can go on, but see, this is the time where hot takes are better than well thought out opinion.  Again, we are talking instantaneous play.  Do you really think it was premeditated?  I assume by your stance you do.  

As for the timing, have you watched Chubb?  How often should he  be  down, and yet, he's not remotely down?  I'd have said the same thing if it was Najee Harris on the receiving end.

Do I think he intended to end his season and potentially career? No. Do I think he purposefully launched himself at his knee while his teammate had him high? Yes.

6 hours ago, spindoc said:

Jason McCourty and their whole crew at GMFB.  I can go on, but see, this is the time where hot takes are better than well thought out opinion.  Again, we are talking instantaneous play.  Do you really think it was premeditated?  I assume by your stance you do.  

As for the timing, have you watched Chubb?  How often should he  be  down, and yet, he's not remotely down?  I'd have said the same thing if it was Najee Harris on the receiving end.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Do I think he intended to end his season and potentially career? No. Do I think he purposefully launched himself at his knee while his teammate had him high? Yes.

If I may join this discussion, I think there is a bit of a dilemma developing and this is at all levels of football. We have RB's who will not go down when tackled high, then the o line starts pushing, we have a rugby scrum and the pack moves forward. How do you stop that? The only way IMO is go low. You have to knock the back's legs out from under him. But then you have things like this happening. I don't know what the answer is but it seems to me going low in these short yardage and goal line situations is the way you have to go if you are the defense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

If I may join this discussion, I think there is a bit of a dilemma developing and this is at all levels of football. We have RB's who will not go down when tackled high, then the o line starts pushing, we have a rugby scrum and the pack moves forward. How do you stop that? The only way IMO is go low. You have to knock the back's legs out from under him. But then you have things like this happening. I don't know what the answer is but it seems to me going low in these short yardage and goal line situations is the way you have to go if you are the defense.

The answer is to go back to the often inconsistent “forward progress” interpretation and to eliminate allowing pushing the back from behind. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I'd agree, if this was one of those situations.

12 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

The answer is to go back to the often inconsistent “forward progress” interpretation and to eliminate allowing pushing the back from behind. 

When did they change the rule and start allowing the "scrum" type of plays, with pushing the piles forward. I remember when I was younger that it was illegal.

4 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

When did they change the rule and start allowing the "scrum" type of plays, with pushing the piles forward. I remember when I was younger that it was illegal.

It has been legal since 2006. Last year Philadelphia just took it to a new level.

I also think people intermingle college football going back to the "Bush Push" which was illegal at the time, but not called on the field. College changed their rule to today's NFL rule in 2014.

My guess is the NFL will outlaw it soon enough in the name of player safety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'd agree, if this was one of those situations.

Yes and no. It wasn't a scrum, but it was a goal line play and the only way to stop Chubb is take his legs out from under him. I would like to see defenders try to wrap their arms and tackle but launching into players is the way many defensive backs tackle.

• Like 1