Bishop Brossart 81 Newport 75

Brossart led the whole way. Newport struggled with the zone in the first half. Couldn’t knock down any shots. Brossart was up 3 at half. Newport had multiple turnovers early in 2nd half helping Brossart to a 9-0 run to start the half. Brossart never looked back. Newport has Lots of talent but not playing like a team quite yet. Need to shoot better from outside and do the little things. No blocking out led to multiple Brossart easy put backs. I am sure Newport will be dangerous later this season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Brossart led the whole way. Newport struggled with the zone in the first half. Couldn’t knock down any shots. Brossart was up 3 at half. Newport had multiple turnovers early in 2nd half helping Brossart to a 9-0 run to start the half. Brossart never looked back. Newport has Lots of talent but not playing like a team quite yet. Need to shoot better from outside and do the little things. No blocking out led to multiple Brossart easy put backs. I am sure Newport will be dangerous later this season. 

Did Jabari Covington play for Newport?

BB - Five Double-Figure Scorers led by Logan Woosley with 24 (7/7 FT and 3-3s), Mason Sepate 13 (9/9 FT) Brandon Bezold 12, (3-3s), Luke Schumacher 11,  Anthony Kruse 10 (8 Rbds).

N   -  Taylen Kinney -17, Noah Silverton - 16, DeShawn Anderson 14, Marquez Miller 13

Miller is the lone Senior on the Newport roster.

Brossart goes to Holmes on Thursday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm so happy for Ben Franzen!!!  Such a wonderful guy, and he is going to be (and is) a terrific basketball coach.  Mustangs are going to be no one's homecoming game, I can assure you of that; they will compete their brains out every night.

Newport undoubtedly has loads of talent, that goes without saying.  As someone above stated, I think you'll see the Wildcats just get better and better as the season unfolds.

After being at the game last night I did some researching on KHSAA. At one point I noticed a lineup in the game that seemed young. At one point in the game Newport had #12 Amontae Lowe(8th grader), #0 Tay Kinney(9th), #4 James Turner(9th), #1 Deashawn Anderson(10th), and #11 Noah Silverton (10th). Being a varsity basketball game this is a very young lineup that had to be played due to foul trouble. The Wildcats have one senior with all the rest returning including the Jabari Covington transfer who did participate in last nights contest. Newport could get things together and rolling by the end of the season. I hope all take into consideration the age of the kids playing varsity basketball for Newport this year and see that it will be an up and down season that will better them for years to come. 

14 minutes ago, 1Forrest1 said:

After being at the game last night I did some researching on KHSAA. At one point I noticed a lineup in the game that seemed young. At one point in the game Newport had #12 Amontae Lowe(8th grader), #0 Tay Kinney(9th), #4 James Turner(9th), #1 Deashawn Anderson(10th), and #11 Noah Silverton (10th). Being a varsity basketball game this is a very young lineup that had to be played due to foul trouble. The Wildcats have one senior with all the rest returning including the Jabari Covington transfer who did participate in last nights contest. Newport could get things together and rolling by the end of the season. I hope all take into consideration the age of the kids playing varsity basketball for Newport this year and see that it will be an up and down season that will better them for years to come. 

Great points and I think that is what most outside of the Newport program have been saying. They will be real good at some point if they stay together. Having them rated 6th or lower in the region is not a knock it is simply where they are right now. Also, I believe you meant to say that Jabari "Did Not" participate last night. He would have been a big help because the Wildcats shot 25% from 3 point land last night (Kinney 2 for 9, Lee 1 for 3, Anderson 2 for 2, Turner 0 for 1 and Silverton 0 for 5). They will face many teams this season that will get up and down and make a ton of 3s and then try to zone them on defense forcing them to make outside shots.