Bowling Green vs. Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates (5A State Championship)

16thBBall Fan

Bowling Green vs. Frederick Douglass  

107 members have voted

1. 1. 5A Championship Who wins?

• Bowling Green
    • Frederick Douglass

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2022 at 01:06 AM

image.jpeg.e34455f5f61950bd70a5ce98de624df2.jpegvs image.jpeg.a32a259889c7a383e2a50ae034f1c50c.jpeg

The Purples of Bowling Green (12-2) will take on the Broncos of Frederick Douglass (14-0) in the prime time and final game of the KHSAA UK Health Care Sports Medicine Football Finals.

This game will be between Bowling Green whose offense is as good as it has been all season and is currently clicking on all cylinders and the Frederick Douglass defense which has been as impressive as any in the state this season and has only allowed 15 points in their 4 post season games. This is the Broncos 3rd final appearance in the past 4 seasons. The Purples are playing in the 3rd championship in the past 7 seasons their last two finals appearances resulted in State Championships in 2016 and 2020.

The teams have one common opponent this season in 4A power Boyle Co. The Rebels defeated Bowling Green 35-21 in mid-September at Bowling Green. Frederick Douglass defeated Boyle Co. 37-6 at Boyle on the final game of the regular season. This game will come down to I believe which teams strength will win out the Purples offense or the Broncos defense. It should be a great game to watch both teams have had great season. The game will be on NFHS Network with paid membership not sure of any other venues at this time. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:00pm on Saturday, December 3. Best of luck to both programs!

1594469882_BowlingGreenvsFrederickDougla

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prior to their region final game, I think most people would have picked Frederick Douglass, but these last two weeks have had the ominous "here we go again" kind of feel for Freddy D.  This team has no business not having at least one state title by now - maybe two.  But every year they reach the end and then just sorta run out of steam and either not get it done or flat out lose to an inferior team.  Bowling Green seems like they are PEAKING.  I have to feel they're the favorite now.

• Like 5

• 16thBBall Fan changed the title to Bowling Green vs. Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates (5A Championship)

X and Freddie D the 2 best defenses I’ve seen this year - I would say FD was actually better!  They don’t have to score a ton to win.  I’m not sure how good BG’s defense is.  I would compare this to the X game, which I’m sure the purples feel they underachieved.  I think BG has a very diverse offense a led by a versatile QB (whom I compared to a young Gavin Wimsatt).  Can they pull it off?  I’ll let others speak to their defense.  I would expect this would go like the X game to some extent, but if anyone can prove me wrong it’s BG.  I just think this Bronco defense is dominant.

FD 21-7

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

I am always going to pick a Broncos win, but it's plain as day the offensive playcalling is going to be scared and conservative instead of playing to win like a top seed. 

BG fans complained the year they rode their Defense to the title - “offense playcalling sucked, etc.”…but when your defense is dominant don’t give up freebies and play to your strength.  BG beat O in that finals 17-7.  It wasn’t pretty but they were state champs and dominated defensively.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brown said:

BG fans complained the year they rode their Defense to the title - “offense playcalling sucked, etc.”…but when your defense is dominant don’t give up freebies and play to your strength.  BG beat O in that finals 17-7.  It wasn’t pretty but they were state champs and dominated defensively.

Right, defense wins championships, but don't unnecessarily put them in bad positions! It's one thing if the opponents defense is just stifling, but at the same time, don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to be cute with the plays. Do what works, and keep doing it til the opponent can stop it.

3 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Right, defense wins championships, but don't unnecessarily put them in bad positions! It's one thing if the opponents defense is just stifling, but at the same time, don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to be cute with the plays. Do what works, and keep doing it til the opponent can stop it.

The one great thing O was doing was bringing the heat on the FD QB - on the INT he should have thrown it away, Goodwin was all over him.  Throw it away and it’s a 21-2 game.  Bad decision.  And I agree - I thought FD was too conservative right before half at midfield.  They knew their D wasn’t going to budge though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brown said:

This is true, that offense was ugly ugly.  But that defense was just outstanding, seems to be a similar story for FD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Volxtile said:

This is true, that offense was ugly ugly.  But that defense was just outstanding, seems to be a similar story for FD.

Well Cooper great athlete and Dingle and the RB…but the freakin punter would pin you every time.  That teams was truly a conservative calling offense with a stifling defense and special teams guy (Burwash).  It was sickening to play them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brown said:

Well Cooper great athlete and Dingle and the RB…but the freakin punter would pin you every time.  That teams was truly a conservative calling offense with a stifling defense and special teams guy (Burwash).  It was sickening to play them.

I agree, they had great talent, but man I despised watching that offense.

20 minutes ago, Brown said:

The one great thing O was doing was bringing the heat on the FD QB - on the INT he should have thrown it away, Goodwin was all over him.  Throw it away and it’s a 21-2 game.  Bad decision.  And I agree - I thought FD was too conservative right before half at midfield.  They knew their D wasn’t going to budge though.

Yessir. That's the thing. Why even call that play? Yeah, maybe our guy in the booth thought he saw something. But throwing into double coverage at the goalline under pressure? 

Great job by the defense. But the offense gotta pull their own weight, and attack out of the gate. All this waiting until the 2nd half to become proactive is for the birds. 

• theguru changed the title to Bowling Green vs. Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates (5A State Championship)
  • theguru locked this topic