Murray at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/12/2022 at 12:29 AM

• snakesnot_2000 changed the title to Murray at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Murray just doesn't have the horses this year to hang with Mayfield this year.  I think if they play a really clean game they could possibly make it close.  Mayfield hasn't been playing the cleanest football.  Right now I see them getting away with mental lapses because of the level of competition.  Not gonna stay like that for long.

• Like 1

Everything and I do mean everything would have to go perfectly for Murray to even have a chance here. The last time they didn’t have their two leading rushers against Mayfield. Biggers adds the explosiveness Murray desperately needs and Sokolowski gives you the best chance to try to pound for those 3 yards. Both are very key defensive pieces as well. It’s no secret that Murray is very young and undersized on defense and Mayfield will score on anybody. Murray could potentially make things sort of interesting if they just don’t turn the ball over, but that has been issue #1 for them all year. Mayfield makes you pay for mistakes like no other.

• Like 1

The tone seriously shifts heading into next week. Whether we play LCA next week or Metcalfe next week doesn’t matter. This week against Murray should be all about perfecting the little things. Blocking, catching the ball, finding open receivers, being disciplined, not jumping offsides, making tackles, we have to get better at each of those things. The last time we played Murray we were sloppy. There’s no way 9 games into the season we should be playing that way. Get better this week cause next week and as we progress through the playoffs those mental breakdowns turn into turnovers and turnovers turn into touchdowns. Have enough of those mental mistakes and it will be a long night. We have to tighten up! 

• Like 1

Murray's 2 best players (Sokolowski and Biggers) didn't play in the 1st game. Now are they enough to win, probably not, but it's sure gotta make them at least feel just a bit better. 

Biggers averages over 13 yards a carry for the season and the duo have 18 rush touchdowns. Biggers only has 8 catches on the season and 6 of those went for touchdowns. 

Mayfield should still win fairly comfortably, the Murray defense has struggled with far less offense than what the Cardinals bring to the table. 

Just something interesting that stands out, Murray has 30 players listed as having played games, only 2 have played every game. 16 have played 5 games or less. I've never seen anything even close to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TilghmanPride said:

Murray's 2 best players (Sokolowski and Biggers) didn't play in the 1st game. Now are they enough to win, probably not, but it's sure gotta make them at least feel just a bit better. 

Biggers averages over 13 yards a carry for the season and the duo have 18 rush touchdowns. Biggers only has 8 catches on the season and 6 of those went for touchdowns. 

Mayfield should still win fairly comfortably, the Murray defense has struggled with far less offense than what the Cardinals bring to the table. 

Just something interesting that stands out, Murray has 30 players listed as having played games, only 2 have played every game. 16 have played 5 games or less. I've never seen anything even close to that. 

Great info there. So maybe it won't be a running clock. I will temper my prediction with that information and say Mayfield 35-14.

• Like 1

Mayfield is 100% the favorite.  They are probably going to rest JuJu again this week to get healthy for the coming games.  The Cardinals boast a stingy defense that has been great all year.  They held Murray to 10 points the firs go around. Well under Murray's average for the year (33.7 ppg).  Mayfield's varsity defense has not given up more than 1 touchdown to any opponent outside of Paducah (2) all year. The 26 & 22 points given up to McCracken and Todd, respectively, were against they jv/freshman defense.  Points allowed by Mayfield are at a premium this year 👀... Especially at War Memorial.

Thanks for the info @TilghmanPride Guess I didn't realize those numbers for the Tigers.  The roster may say they dress 30 kids but I can tell you only about 14 touch the field outside of special teams.  Their low numbers have a couple of factors: first, the previous coach left the program in disarray from the youth up to HS. Second, coach Bowling's offseason program is not for the faint of heart. Structure, rules, buying-in have caused several kids to not finish the season. For example, only 2 seniors (Curtis & Sokolowski) play significant minutes on this Tiger squad.

Murray comes into this game on a roller coaster season.  They score plenty of points, but also give up just as many.  They are currently sitting at 6-5 for the season and many who follow them feel like they could easily be 9-2.  Only teams that seemed to outmatch them so far, Union & Mayfield.  The Tigers have been their own worst enemy throughout the season with fumbles and turnovers.  Mayfield capitalized the first game scoring 28 points off of turnovers.  Murray has to play mistake free to keep it close and have a chance but that is something they have not done all season.

If Murray has more than 1 turnover, I see Mayfield naming the score.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really wish Biggers would come home for his senior season. Him and starks on the same team would be freaking ridiculous! Would be one of the best duos in the state! He’s just withering away at Murray. You run your offense based on the personnel that you have, and biggers is not even close to being utilized the way he should. I heard from a friend that the Murray middle 8th grade QB was a stud in the passing game and had Murray excited about the coming years. Apparently he went to coach before the season and asked about his outlook within the Murray offense. Coach told the kid “I run my offense how I run my offense”. That kid now starts for Calloway county as a freshman. I just don’t get it. Murray could be a whole lot better year in and year out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarMemorialVet said:

I really wish Biggers would come home for his senior season. Him and starks on the same team would be freaking ridiculous! Would be one of the best duos in the state! He’s just withering away at Murray. You run your offense based on the personnel that you have, and biggers is not even close to being utilized the way he should. I heard from a friend that the Murray middle 8th grade QB was a stud in the passing game and had Murray excited about the coming years. Apparently he went to coach before the season and asked about his outlook within the Murray offense. Coach told the kid “I run my offense how I run my offense”. That kid now starts for Calloway county as a freshman. I just don’t get it. Murray could be a whole lot better year in and year out. 

That freshman was at barely 50% completions, 12 TD's and 10 INT's, and Calloway County went 0-10.