Best 1st Round Games

Week 1 of the playoffs are usually filled with running clocks and blowouts but there are a few intriguing round 1 games in the Western part of Kentucky this week. These are the games that stand out to me. Feel free to add your thoughts on other round 1 games to watch from other parts of the state. 

McLean at Caldwell

Taylor County at Paducah

Hopkinsville at Franklin Simpson

Glasgow at Union. 

I think there is a strong argument you can make that all 4 road teams COULD win these games this week. I wouldn’t say any one of the 4 are favorites but the Taylor County/PT game & the Hopkinsville/FS jump out to me as tremendous round 1 games. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Week 1 of the playoffs are usually filled with running clocks and blowouts but there are a few intriguing round 1 games in the Western part of Kentucky this week. These are the games that stand out to me. Feel free to add your thoughts on other round 1 games to watch from other parts of the state. 

McLean at Caldwell

Taylor County at Paducah

Hopkinsville at Franklin Simpson

Glasgow at Union. 

I think there is a strong argument you can make that all 4 road teams COULD win these games this week. I wouldn’t say any one of the 4 are favorites but the Taylor County/PT game & the Hopkinsville/FS jump out to me as tremendous round 1 games. 

Cooper vs. Scott Co. is a very good first round game in 5A

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Taylor Co and Glasgow, these two teams are gonna make some noise if not win. These teams has some unfortunate injuries through the season. If healthy they have a chance to go as far as they want to go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Cooper vs. Scott Co. is a very good first round game in 5A

Scott County is playing really well. Cooper has a very nice YOUNG team. Don't know if they are physically able to get this one. But hey, that's why they play the games right?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hardin County Preps said:

There are none! First round games are a joke under the "current format."

• Current format of four teams per district has been used each season since 1991 (32 years).
  • Current format of six classes has been used since 2007 (16 years).
  • Dream scenario of two teams per class that seemingly everyone thinks existed for an eternity only lasted four seasons (1987-90).

Point being: it isn't that current. It gets tiresome to hear the same old complaints every year. If you don't want to watch football this weekend that's fine. Stay home. But there are quite a few good games this weekend across the state. There will be 3s that upset 2s. There will also be blowouts just like every week in the regular season, just like the early rounds of all other athletic tournaments, and just like the second round of football next week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:
  • Current format of four teams per district has been used each season since 1991 (32 years).
  • Current format of six classes has been used since 2007 (16 years).
  • Dream scenario of two teams per class that seemingly everyone thinks existed for an eternity only lasted four seasons (1987-90).

Point being: it isn't that current. It gets tiresome to hear the same old complaints every year. If you don't want to watch football this weekend that's fine. Stay home. But there are quite a few good games this weekend across the state. There will be 3s that upset 2s. There will also be blowouts just like every week in the regular season, just like the early rounds of all other athletic tournaments, and just like the second round of football next week.

I’ve seem several state championships end in blowouts. I like the format it gives most teams something to look forward to and work at if you only had 2 per district there would be teams that would never get to play in a playoff game.

• Like 2