The top "At-Large" team in 6A

6A State "At-Large"  

29 members have voted

1. 1. The Mythical "At Large" 6A Champion will be...

Few things in Kentucky high school football are as absolute as Louisville owning the big school state championship. A quarter century of T/X/H dominance has bred cynicism and perhaps a measure of apathy in regards to the yearly outcome of our largest classification. We're confident we "know" how it's going to end, but that doesn't mean we can't take pleasure in the journey. 

One of the more scenic side roads on that journey is watching who emerges as the top 6A team outside the borders of Jefferson County. There are (at least) four strong contenders heading into this season.

Note: I'm not trying to put a ceiling over the heads of any of these teams. The depth of this class seems greater than it's been in years, but it would still require a historic upset or two for one of them to win the real thing over the Louisville titans.

Madison Central: Following consecutive losses to close out the 2021 regular season, the Indians flipped a switch to run off three straight playoff blowouts, including an unexpected rout of Bryan Station for a district title. St. X ended MC's run in the semis, but not before the Indians put a scare into the state champions. They probably had the strongest claim to "at-large" champion last year. UK commit Malachi Wood is the top in-state offensive line prospect in the '23 class and no one in 6A ran for more yards or touchdowns than Brady Hensley. Check off another box for the Indians for coaching. Kevin Wallace and Chris Wolfe might be the only coaches in 6A whose resumés you'd take over Mike Holcomb's. 

Bryan Station: The Defenders spent all season ranked near the top of 6A's RPI before a disappointing second round playoff exit. Exceeding ten wins again and taking back the district are certainly within reach for Coach Hawkins' crew. Trenton Cutright, Damin Green, and Jeremiah Mundy-Lloyd make for a tantalizing trio of offensive playmakers while JT Haskins Jr. - who holds an offer from UofL - and leading tackler Jason Hocker - multiple D1 offers - lead the defense. Station and Madison Central will probably be the most hyped 6A game outside of Louisville this year. 

Ryle: The Raiders proved to be the top dog in NKY's 6A scene a year ago. The nucleus of the offense is back, including quarterback Logan Verax (2,700 total yards/22 touchdowns). Defense was their strength last season, but they must cope with the loss of one of the state's sturdiest and most productive linebacking corps. Another strong showing against St. X on September 30th - the Tigers had to grind out a 13-3 win last year - would bolster Ryle's stake to state "at-large" supremacy. And a win would hint at the possibility of something more.

Bullitt East: The Chargers' roster featured only seven seniors in 2021. An offense that averaged 39 points per game returns almost completely intact. The quartet of Travis Egan (QB), Mason Gauthier (RB), Nolan Davenport (WR), and Camron Brogan (WR) accounted for nearly 7,000 yards of offense and 90 touchdowns. The only thing that might slow them down is sharing a district with Male, though graduation losses, off-season moves by a pair of former Dawgs, and the loss of a star receiver to injury should make the goal of besting Male feel more attainable than ever for Bullitt East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'll take Manual over those teams. They return several starters on defense and a good program. 

Me too.  I had someone very knowledgeable contact me a few days ago and he raved about the talent at Manual this year. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't think Manual qualifies in the 6A at large category. Jefferson County schools are not at large.

You're right VoR and DMC explained that well with his opening but like Tp94 it had to be said. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't think Manual qualifies in the 6A at large category. Jefferson County schools are not at large.

Yeah, I didn't read write up just saw headline so you are right that Manual wouldn't meet the definition. I saw Madison Central against St. X and was impressed. If they replace what they lost on defense, they could be best at large team. Will be interesting which of those teams emerge to be the top at-large team.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Yeah, I didn't read write up just saw headline so you are right that Manual wouldn't meet the definition. I saw Madison Central against St. X and was impressed. If they replace what they lost on defense, they could be best at large team. Will be interesting which of those teams emerge to be the top at-large team.

tenor.gif.ac26bc5c5ba53a91d9b61f448e5b361d.gif

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

Ryle in my opinion will be the best.

2 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Highlands had no problem with them lastnight. 

Only a scrimmage of course but that has me a little concerned about Ryle too.  One would think if the Raiders are going to compete in 6A this year they would have handled Highlands last night.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

Only a scrimmage of course but that has me a little concerned about Ryle too.  One would think if the Raiders are going to compete in 6A this year they would have handled Highlands last night.

They can't replace Savage and Belk.

Here’s what I’ll say about Bullitt East with 100% confidence, if South Warren is top 11, so to is Bullitt East.  Take that for what you want.  A lot of work to still be done, but the team has talent in bunches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1