Automated Ball-Strike System in 2024

Commissioner Manfred has said that the ABSS (Robo-Umps) will probably be calling balls and strikes in 2024.

I for one love it. Nothing grates on me more watching a game than wonky inconsistent strike zones.

Early reports from the minor league test show that both hitters and pitchers prefer the system to live Umpires calling balls and strikes.

Another negative of the current system is that Umpires often give star players better calls than the average Joe gets. Whether it's an All-Star pitcher getting strikes calls on pitches 6" off of the plate or great hitters never getting a strike called against them at the knees, both suck.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:10 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

Another negative of the current system is that Umpires often give star players better calls than the average Joe gets. Whether it's an All-Star pitcher getting strikes calls on pitches 6" off of the plate or great hitters never getting a strike called against them at the knees, both suck.

The Greg Maddux effect.  Agreed with everything you said.  Plus, you remove the crux of most jawing at the plate.  I can't wait to see how the number of ejections changes once this is implemented.  I mean, we've got instant replay capability to review plays in the field, and now this?  What would you have to argue with an umpire over?

• Like 2

Just now, CincySportsFan said:

The Greg Maddux effect.  Agreed with everything you said.  Plus, you remove the crux of most jawing at the plate.  I can't wait to see how the number of ejections changes once this is implemented.  I mean, we've got instant replay capability to review plays in the field, and now this?  What would you have to argue with an umpire over?

Why not robot players next, should save the owners a ton of money. LOL

They use replay to try and right wrongs now.   I have no issues with a robo ump calling balls and strikes.

What we really need is to keep the shift until batters learn to hit the other way, instead of just complaining until they outlaw it.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like every day my feed has included someone getting rung up by a bad pitch...and often ejected over it.  MLB needs to fast-track this automated system and get it in play next year.  No more highlights of somebody getting tossed over an (often blatantly) missed call.  That's not good for the game.  People come to see these guys play the actual game...not get ejected.

One other rule that I would add in with this change, is that the home plate umpire can no longer make a call on whether a batter swung or not.  EVERY decision on that is automatically referred to the baseline umps.  The Nolan Arenado situation the other night was pitiful.  The home plate ump should have zero input on balls/strikes.  Balks, HBP, catcher's interference, plays at the plate and judging fair/foul balls prior to the bases would be their main focus.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 12:47 PM, CincySportsFan said:

It seems like every day my feed has included someone getting rung up by a bad pitch...and often ejected over it.  MLB needs to fast-track this automated system and get it in play next year.  No more highlights of somebody getting tossed over an (often blatantly) missed call.  That's not good for the game.  People come to see these guys play the actual game...not get ejected.

One other rule that I would add in with this change, is that the home plate umpire can no longer make a call on whether a batter swung or not.  EVERY decision on that is automatically referred to the baseline umps.  The Nolan Arenado situation the other night was pitiful.  The home plate ump should have zero input on balls/strikes.  Balks, HBP, catcher's interference, plays at the plate and judging fair/foul balls prior to the bases would be their main focus.

With the out of control egos of some of the really bad Umpires, I fully expect more balk calls from them. They'll need to find a way to interject themselves into the game.

• 2 weeks later...

The one aspect no is talking about is how automated balls and strikes will change the catching game. Catchers have become very adept at "stealing" pitches over the last 20 years. The "art" of receiving pitches will become totally useless with robo-umps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

The one aspect no is talking about is how automated balls and strikes will change the catching game. Catchers have become very adept at "stealing" pitches over the last 20 years. The "art" of receiving pitches will become totally useless with robo-umps.

It will still be an art at every level below professional ball. I hate umpires that can be duped by a catcher anyway.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:19 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

Everyone's favorite Umpire!

Just for context - I'm not advocating for or against automated ball/strike calls - UmpScorecard does not hold official stats. Out of its headquarters, MLB has the official tracking system for balls/strikes. That is not disseminated to the public for gambling reasons though reports are released which is part of the basis for UmpScorecard's bot work. UmpScorecard is most likely pretty accurate, but I would take it with a slight grain of salt.